Translations and versioning

Suggestions/requests/ideas for RuneAudio core features and functions

Translations and versioning

Postby Der Vogel » 30 May 2014, 08:27

Hi guys,
I would like to propose you three new suggestions:
  • Translation of the GUI and the docs. I volunteer for the French translation ;-)
  • Publish versions following semantic versioning. Please reserve the beta flag for testing versions. What is the point to publish only beta version while increasing the version number? I think you have already achieve a great work, and it is a pity to do not highlight it by releasing a version 1.0. Two many projects are stuck with this zero prefix although they are already fully functional. Why not the following: 0.3 should be 1.0 beta and 0.4, 1.0. It makes sense as you announced lots of improvements in the forum and in the blog.
  • Respect the terms of the license GPL 3 you choose. As other users pointed out, a public repository should solve the access to the code (and then enable users contribution?). I hope the competition with Volumio is not the reason for this oversight :-|
Keep up the good work!
Der Vogel

Re: Translations and versioning

Postby naircl » 31 May 2014, 17:42

Good idea, I can contribute on French too if needed (you already have a volunteer ;) ), and I volunteer on Spanish :) . Re: semantic versioning, this is something some of us more or less do intuitively, glad to see someone successfully IMHO organized and wrote down in a systematic fashion. And finally yes, I'd also like to see a way to share and contribute to code. If it's about competition, it should be won by the nber of contributors and the quality of their contributions; I think this project already has good foundations to keep attracting both!
naircl

Postby jotak » 31 May 2014, 21:18

I fully agree.
I could also help for French but it looks like we're too many frenchs! :)

How would you propose to manage translations? Separate versions, or 1 single version that allows to choose for language in UI?
jotak

Postby AudiO » 01 Jun 2014, 18:27

Okay, if needed I can contribute the German translation :-)
I'm already looking forward to the next version -- anyone knows when it'll be released?
AudiO

Postby Orion » 02 Jun 2014, 13:57

Hi Der Vogel,
sorry for this late answer, I'm deeply involved in developing of "WiFi configuration support" for the next upcoming release.
First of all, thanks for your suggestions and your offer of collaboration.
Let me answer your questions, point by point:

• Translation of the GUI and the docs. I volunteer for the French translation ;-)

This feature is planned for version 0.4, in that release will also add the "color scheme selection" feature.

• Publish versions following semantic versioning. Please reserve the beta flag for testing versions. What is the point to publish only beta version while increasing the version number? I think you have already achieve a great work, and it is a pity to do not highlight it by releasing a version 1.0. Two many projects are stuck with this zero prefix although they are already fully functional. Why not the following: 0.3 should be 1.0 beta and 0.4, 1.0. It makes sense as you announced lots of improvements in the forum and in the blog.

• Our "vison" on version numbering, is a sort of "breadcrumbs path" to 1.0 version.
    In our mind 1.0 should contain a full "key features" set, like playback sync between multiple players, hi quality equalizer, resampling management, UI translation, color scheme selection, and many more. Each "zero point" release, is intended to introduce two or three of these key features at a time.
    The BETA tag is there because, after only two releases, we haven't achieved the perfect stability of all the features in all different operativity conditions. I think that after v0.3, we will introduce the first STABLE release (probably v0.4 will be the first stable release). Do not misunderstand me, v0.3-alpha is now absolutely more "stable" than the current v0.2, but when I think at a "stable" release I mean absolutely "rock solid".

• Respect the terms of the license GPL 3 you choose. As other users pointed out, a public repository should solve the access to the code (and then enable users contribution?). I hope the competition with Volumio is not the reason for this oversight :-|

• There is no competition with Volumio, but only different "visions" of project statement and development.
    The only reason why the current release is not public, is that we decided to do a complete rewrite of the foundations of the code. Only now, after more than 300 commits, the code is ready to be published in its entirety. From now on, the development will be fully public, and absolutely open to your contribution.
    We consider this a new "starting point". I agree with you, this deserves a 1.0 version, but we decided not to break the continuity of the line of development in order to not create confusion.
    Our project is absolutely Open Source and always will be. The source code of the current release, is available on our GitHub repository.

Your offer of contribute is well accepted, so stay tuned for the next upcoming release.

Regards.
    Simone.
    RuneAudio - Embedded Hi-Fi music player
    SoloStereo - Alla riscoperta dell'alta fedeltà
    Orion
    RuneAudio co-founder

Postby Orion » 02 Jun 2014, 14:17

jotak wrote:I fully agree.
    I could also help for French but it looks like we're too many frenchs! :)

How would you propose to manage translations? Separate versions, or 1 single version that allows to choose for language in UI?

We think about a language selector, integrated in the RuneUI.
    Orion
    RuneAudio co-founder

Postby Orion » 02 Jun 2014, 14:20

AudiO wrote:Okay, if needed I can contribute the German translation :-)
    I'm already looking forward to the next version -- anyone knows when it'll be released?

As soon as possible. We are building now the last feature, WiFi configuration.
    Orion
    RuneAudio co-founder

Postby Der Vogel » 26 Jun 2014, 12:31

@Orion: although I think the RuneAudio project is great, I fully disagree with your vision on the versioning. Allow me to clarify my thoughs. I am sure there is not much new for you there, but the argumentation is important.

Firstly, there is no absolute rule for versioning. So everyone is free to choose one rule, see there for an exotic scheme. But there are useful conventions and the versioning should convey meaning.

Secondly, no software is exempt of bugs. But a missing feature is not a bug. Declare a version stable is just a decision of the developers, normaly motivated by an absence of (important) known bugs. A beta version with no stable release following, with the same number, does not make sense.

Thirdly, it looks you are waiting to implement all the major features to jump to version 1.0. Well, I fear that there will be with the time always new major features to add to the list and then RuneAudio will never reach version 1.0. Why so much fear to pass to version 1? Have a look to Inkscape, currently version 0.48 after 10 years of existence! I do not say to follow the crazy versioning of Chrome or Firefox, but I think every new major feature should be promoted with a new major version. Does a software looks less serious with a version reaching 2, 5, 12?

Well, since your are the developer of this project you will have the final word ;) and I think there are more thrilling topics about RuneAudio. But it has its importance as part of the communication.

I am waiting the version 0.3 to start hacking it (interaction with my network hifi system), keep it up!
    Thanks again for all your efforts
    Der Vogel

Postby Der Vogel » 27 Jun 2014, 08:23

Talking about more thrilling topics, what about creating a special section in the forum to organize contributions, starting with translations? Once you are less busy with the upcoming version, you could express your vision how to implement translations.
    Der Vogel

Postby ACX » 24 Jul 2014, 01:26

Der Vogel wrote:Talking about more thrilling topics, what about creating a special section in the forum to organize contributions, starting with translations? Once you are less busy with the upcoming version, you could express your vision how to implement translations.

Hi everyone, I've just created a new dedicated forum section for contributions (Help the project) and started an official topic for the translations (Localization). We can start to organize the collaborative job :)
    ACX
    RuneAudio co-founder

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Feature request