Transfer wifi setting from one sd-card to another

Raspberry Pi related support

Transfer wifi setting from one sd-card to another

Postby mattra » 24 Jun 2017, 10:53

Hi,

Is there a way to transfer wifi settings from one sd-card to another?

I recently bought a second Raspberry PI3 + IQ-dac+, put Runaudio 0.4 on the sd-card, but Runeaudio seems unable to find my primary wifi, even when I put it next to the modem. It lists all my neighbours wifi's and even my extender wifi which is downstairs, but not my primary wifi which is right next to it. Very strange. (Could it have something to do with the fact that I recently switched chanels on my router, from 6 to 11? I don't know...)

It is not the wifi on the new Raspberry itself that is faulty, because if I put the old sd-card in (which is still Runeaudio 0.3 I think), wifi is detected and the new Raspberry works fine.

So my question is, can I transfer the wifi setting from the old sd-card to the new sd-card directly? (One is Runeaudio 0.3 I think, the other is 0.4, the latest version.)

I work on linux, so I can transfer files from one sd-card to the other via my laptop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
mattra

Re: Transfer wifi setting from one sd-card to another

Postby hondagx35 » 24 Jun 2017, 11:20

Hi mattra ,

So my question is, can I transfer the wifi setting from the old sd-card to the new sd-card directly?

Yes, you can.
The profiles are stored in "/etc/netctl/" and named like your SSID.

It lists all my neighbours wifi's and even my extender wifi which is downstairs, but not my primary wifi which is right next to it. Very strange.

Very strange indeed.
I would like to debug this:
- what are the exact versions (have you tried my latest test image)?
- what happens when you use the new sd card with your older Pi?
- have you tried it without the IQ-dac+ mounted?

You can check the regdomain settings and change them to your country:
Code: Select all
iw reg get

Code: Select all
iw reg set DE

Frank
hondagx35

Postby mattra » 24 Jun 2017, 12:22

Hi Frank,
Thanks for your swift reply.

The latest image I'm using is the one from the main page RuneAudio_rpi2_rp3_0.4-beta_20160321_2GB.img.gz. By the way it says 0.4 in the image, I see now, but when I ssh into the Raspberry it says
RuneOs: 0.3-beta
RuneUI: 1.3-beta
Hw-env: RaspberryPi 2

I don't know what the older image is, but it's from the beginning of 2016.

(I thought wifi profiles were in lib/dhcpcd and tried copying them from there, but that didn't work...)

I copied the wifi from /etc/netctl/ like you said, but still no luck. And strangely: after a couple of seconds now, the player hangs and just repeats the same note over and over like an cd-player that hangs...

Even the network cable doesn't work anymore...

I have put the new sd-card in the old Raspberry and the problem and behavior (hanging) is the same.
So the old card works on both Raspberry's, and the new one doesn't work on any of them. So I don't think the Raspberry is the problem.

I haven't tried without the Pi-Dac. (It's assembled in a box, too much work to open it ;)

Maybe I will simply start over with your testimage?
mattra

Postby mattra » 24 Jun 2017, 16:18

Hi Frank,

So I restarted the whole thing and flashed your test image to the sd card. But the issue is still the same strangely enough. Runeaudio sees all the same wifi's in the neighbourhood as my laptop does, except for my own wifi which it is standing next to.

I changed the regdomain settings to BE, but no difference.

I also copied the networks from /etc/netctl/ to the new card. Still no difference.

Could it have something to do with the channel of my wifi? I recently changed it on the router to channel 11, because all my neighbours are on channel 6 apparently. But I don't know, because all devices connect perfectly to my wifi (also the old Runeaudio card). Except for the new Runeaudio...
mattra

Postby mattra » 24 Jun 2017, 18:55

So I switched the router back (from channel 12) to Automatic Channel Selection, and the new Runeaudio now sees and can connect to the wifi.
So it could have something to do with that. But I have no idea what. I'm no expert in this matter.

The strange thing is that all other devices, including two other rasperberry Pi3's, phones, laptops, etc... have no problem finding and connecting to the wifi when the router is set to channel 12 (which I would prefer as it makes the wifi a lot faster). Only the new Runeaudio sd card refuses to see it...

Another strange thing is, that the ip address of the wifi is now listed in Runeaudio as Wlan0 192.168.5.1, whereas all other ip addresses are of the format 192.168.1.xx. Also on the router I see runeaudio listed as 192.168.1.5 and not as 192.168.5.1... Could this be part of the problem? (Again I'm no expert...)
mattra

Postby hondagx35 » 24 Jun 2017, 22:02

Hi mattra,

wifi is now listed in Runeaudio as Wlan0 192.168.5.1

This is the IP address from the AP that is available on the PI with the latest image.
You can turn it off at the network settings page.

You have to set the correct regdomain, because channels 12 and 13 are not available in all countries.
In your first post you wrote:
I recently switched chanels on my router, from 6 to 11

Channel 11 should work with all regdom settings.
This all depends on the kernel and firmware used.

Frank
hondagx35

Postby mattra » 25 Jun 2017, 07:43

Hi Frank,

Thank you for your reply.

I did set the channel to 12 not 11 (that was a mistake). So that was the problem probably. I live in Belgium and on my router channels go up to 13. Strange thing is though that no other device had any problem connecting to channel 12, also the old Runeaudio image, only the new one did.

I am also going to switch back to the older image (RuneAudio_rpi2_rp3_0.4-beta_20160321_2GB.img.gz) The newest image has some nice features, but I get very low volume output. I see that there is some discussion about that. Analogue output on Alsa Mixer is up to 100%. So I don't now how to fix that.

Thanks again,
Mattra
mattra

Postby hondagx35 » 25 Jun 2017, 10:50

Hi,

Analogue output on Alsa Mixer is up to 100%. So I don't now how to fix that.

Are you sure that you checked the correct device?

Frank
hondagx35

Postby mattra » 25 Jun 2017, 11:29

Hi Frank,

I suppose I didn't. I typed the IP address:8080 and simply looked at the analogue output, which was at 100%. I didn't know I had to check for a specific device, or where to do that. But I realize that I have to devices, I suppose, the Raspberry itself and the Pi-Dac+. Maybe the analogue volume of the Raspberry was at 100% and not that of the Pi-Dac+.

Meanwhile I'm back on the old image. But maybe I will try the new image again, if I know how to fix to volume, as I still have one more sd-card to do (for a friend)

Thanks,
Mattra
mattra

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Raspberry Pi