TPA3116 / RuneAudio Project

Build/modify/repair equipment and improve systems performance by yourself

Re: TPA3116 / RuneAudio Project

Postby skrodahl » 07 Oct 2014, 22:21

Just a crazy thought for an opamp preamp or buffer, get two of these:

It comes as a kit from Evil Mad Scientist...
-skrodahl

Muffsy Phono Preamp PP-3 || Audiobah TPA3116 || ESP P88 || ProJect Debut Carbon Espirit DC || RuneAudio / RaspBerry Pi / HifiBerry DAC || Dynaco A25
skrodahl

Postby ACX » 07 Oct 2014, 22:52

Ahaha I love the leg/pins :D
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

Postby matt » 10 Oct 2014, 22:44

I would like to make a TPA3116 amp and rpi streamer(?) in a single enclosure for my son. Whats going to be the easiest way to power both things, preferably with the power supply inside the case.
matt

Postby skrodahl » 11 Oct 2014, 17:58

matt wrote:I would like to make a TPA3116 amp and rpi streamer(?) in a single enclosure for my son. Whats going to be the easiest way to power both things, preferably with the power supply inside the case.

Hi matt,

To power the TPA3116 and the Raspberry Pi, I would suggest that you get a suitable power supply for the TPA3116.

SMPS-PSU.JPG
SMPS-PSU.JPG (46.4 KiB) Viewed 6796 times

Something like this would be fine, 24 volts and 3-5 amperes. I would choose closer to 5 amperes, because you'll need to power the Raspberry Pi with this power supply as well.

Now that you have the main PSU, you can get a 5V converter to power the Raspberry Pi. Choose the 3A version, to make sure that you have enough power for your Pi (it will not use all 3A, only somewhere below 1A). This version is great, because you can use a USB cable to connect the power to your Raspberry Pi. It connects to the 24V output of the larger power supply.

5V-converter.JPG
5V-converter.JPG (24.82 KiB) Viewed 6796 times

When you reach this stage, you will need to find an enclosure big enough to hold the two power supplies, one Raspberry Pi (with DAC, I would think) and the TPA3116. None of these components will heat up much, you don't need to worry about ventilation or heat-sinks.

Use shielded cables for all audio connections. When you mount RCA connectors or speaker posts, make sure they're not touching the metal in the cabinet (not a concern if you're using a wooden cabinet), using insulated connectors.

Finally, because you have two different power supplies, you will most likely get a ground loop. This will result in a bad hum in the sound.

To get rid of the hum, connect a cable from ground on the DAC audio output to ground on the RCA input. Do not attempt to connect the speaker outputs or the positive audio connections. That may lead to disaster...
-skrodahl

Muffsy Phono Preamp PP-3 || Audiobah TPA3116 || ESP P88 || ProJect Debut Carbon Espirit DC || RuneAudio / RaspBerry Pi / HifiBerry DAC || Dynaco A25
skrodahl

Postby apocalipsis1234 » 13 Oct 2014, 20:29

Power supply for 18-36V 5A .... 15 $

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-24V-5A-120W-Switch-Power-Supply-Driver-For-LED-Light-Strip-Display-110V220V-p-46134.html

By default is a 24 V PSU but with a very simple mod can change to variable Volt, if someone want i can post it.

I am using to test several amp. boards (tda7492, tpa3116...)
apocalipsis1234

Postby Downunder55 » 15 Oct 2014, 02:23

While overcoming the dreaded flu and before the soldering iron has another chance to attack me during the construction of a Project 88 PreAmp, I was on the Beavis HiFi site looking for a solution for my "POP" ing JFET PreAmp.

In his section on volume control http://www.beavishifi.com/articles/Volume_Control/ I came across this Lightspeeed Attenuator link http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analog-l ... reamp.html

Rather than read all 5000+ posts, a kind individual did a summary in post # 5232 http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analog-l ... p-524.html

Could this be another pre-amp option, the MkII seems to be quite a simple design ?

Lightspeed Attenuator MkII Circuit.JPG
Lightspeed Attenuator MkII Circuit.JPG (101.2 KiB) Viewed 6734 times

Any thoughts ?
Downunder55

Postby njp » 15 Oct 2014, 13:21

Just reading through this post and it's inspired me to build some kind of amp circuitry into my own build.

I've just found this and am wondering what's the deal with it in comparison to the normal TPA3116 black board you're all using?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-1-digital-a ... 4182966272

The board that I see you guys using is this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TPA3116-Induc ... 43ca0432d4
Hardware: Raspberry PI Model B + IQaudiO PI-DAC + D-Link DUB-H7 + TP-Link TL-WN722N & 5dBI Antenna

Software: runeaudio v0.3 alpha
njp

Postby AndreR » 15 Oct 2014, 13:47

Main difference, besides build/audio qualities on which I cannot comment on - is that the one you are linking is a 2.1 (i.e. stereo + subwoofer mono channel) amplifier, while the other is a 2 pure stereo amp board.

For pure stereo (2 channels) projects I would opt for the board in the second link.
AndreR

Postby njp » 15 Oct 2014, 18:30

I've read this thread a lot more carefully and it seems that this is the board to get however (from a seller called audiobah), not the black one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Amplifier-boa ... 25903efbda

I am currently working on a project and most of it has been more oriented around the technology side of things moreso than the audio side (with the exception of the IQaudiO PI-DAC for audio duties), you can see more details on this post:

my-project-and-a-couple-small-questions-t472.html

It's going to be an integrated project, still figuring out what to do for the case. But I did toy with an idea of having some kind of amplifier integrated also (after seeing the adafruit 2x20w amplifier board), so I could take the unit somewhere else in the house and connect up some speakers, as a portable option. After seeing this thread I'm sold on doing that now except with this TPA3116 board, and readjusting my initial project to make all this possible in one unit.

The thing is my music hardware knowledge is a bit rusty and in some areas non existent - will I also need a preamp board to integrate with the amplifier? And will this provide a volume knob (and maybe bass and treble for adjustment) or is this all not possible or unnecessary? I would definitely like a decent linear volume control (although these Alps pots seem overpriced!) and if it's possible without designing whole new hoards of circuitry some treble and bass adjustment although this isn't a necessity.

If this is all possible, this integrated amp is going to be a secondary function and switchable because the primary output is simply going to go from the IQaudiO straight into my Nad 302 which is powering some Mission 760i's. Yep I know it's old kit but I've had this combo 20 years and it's outlived the other hi-fi separates I also had. I'll aim to integrate this amp, and have the input switchable so I can disconnect the unit from my Nad, take it elsewhere in the house, flick a switch to operate the amp and take over the output, wire some speakers upto my finished unit, fire the unit up and play.
Hardware: Raspberry PI Model B + IQaudiO PI-DAC + D-Link DUB-H7 + TP-Link TL-WN722N & 5dBI Antenna

Software: runeaudio v0.3 alpha
njp

Clone Audiobah ??

Postby Downunder55 » 17 Oct 2014, 07:54

It would seem there is now a clone of the Audiobah board by Yuan Jing Audio http://www.yuan-jing.com/tpa3116-class- ... d-anti-pop

This is a significant discount to the Audiobah, ......so much so that I couldn't resist the thought of another project and purchased one ..... just wish I could finish the other three amp projects I have at various stages of "underway" at the present !
Downunder55

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

PreviousNext

Return to DIY and tweaks