TPA3116 / RuneAudio Project

Build/modify/repair equipment and improve systems performance by yourself

Re: TPA3116 / RuneAudio Project

Postby skrodahl » 05 Aug 2014, 23:12

Peter wrote:
Hi, What value pots are you using? 100k for volume and 10k for balance as shown in the diagram, or some alternative.

Apologies if I am a copy cat, but I have just ordered the same board, after researching Audiokarma. The green board was a little bit pricey for a first attempt. Maybe later if there is an issue. Do you have any "power on" click/ pop, which seems to be an issue on some boards?

Really cool build just BTW.

Peter

100k for volume and 10k for balance. Then the 12k resistors on each volume center pin to ground will turn the 100k volume pot into a ~10k log pot.

There is a small power on/power off pop. I haven't connected the power button yet so I haven't experienced it to the full extent.

No problem with copying what works, that's why people are sharing their successes. Best of luck with your build, and let us know how it proceeds.
-skrodahl

Muffsy Phono Preamp PP-3 || Audiobah TPA3116 || ESP P88 || ProJect Debut Carbon Espirit DC || RuneAudio / RaspBerry Pi / HifiBerry DAC || Dynaco A25
skrodahl

Postby Downunder55 » 06 Aug 2014, 07:44

skrodahl wrote:
My volume control/balance came out great. It's a combination of Rod Elliot's volume/balance in his project P88 and project P01 (Better volume control).

Is this just to give you better (more natural & precise) control over your volume from what I can see, not intending to trivialise objective just keeping simple for my understanding, is that correct ?

Thanks for sharing concept, but think I may have enough on my plate just getting phase 1 operational to start with .... phase 2 ?

At this stage I am just planning to use an Alps 50k log pot (genuine I am assured) betwwen the HiFiBerry and the Audiobah, that should be "ok" from what I think I have read ? .... may need to watch grounding.

This electronics stuff is all new to me, been playing around with PC/Mac music machines with large touch screens for years with originally Ape and now FLAC, then into Sonos and now having fun with Rune, PI and 3116..... this is such a nice extension of this for me.

Now planning the play list for the new build testing while I wait for delivery ...... waiting, waiting ....
Downunder55

Postby skrodahl » 06 Aug 2014, 10:44

Downunder55 wrote:Is this just to give you better (more natural & precise) control over your volume from what I can see, not intending to trivialise objective just keeping simple for my understanding, is that correct ?

Thanks for sharing concept, but think I may have enough on my plate just getting phase 1 operational to start with .... phase 2 ?

At this stage I am just planning to use an Alps 50k log pot (genuine I am assured) betwwen the HiFiBerry and the Audiobah, that should be "ok" from what I think I have read ? .... may need to watch grounding.

This electronics stuff is all new to me, been playing around with PC/Mac music machines with large touch screens for years with originally Ape and now FLAC, then into Sonos and now having fun with Rune, PI and 3116..... this is such a nice extension of this for me.

Now planning the play list for the new build testing while I wait for delivery ...... waiting, waiting ....

We all have different ways into this hobby, and different intentions as well. The ALPS pot will do exactly the same as my volume control. I am just of the opinion (as I've stated in this forum before) that many of these fashionable components can be overkill. The volume control that I built may even have a better log curve than the ALPS pot has, for less than a dollar. Most of all, it was a fun little thing to do as I do like to tinker.

Place the pot between the HifiBerry and the amp, as per your plan, the function is the same and I promise you that you will not be disappointed.
-skrodahl

Muffsy Phono Preamp PP-3 || Audiobah TPA3116 || ESP P88 || ProJect Debut Carbon Espirit DC || RuneAudio / RaspBerry Pi / HifiBerry DAC || Dynaco A25
skrodahl

Postby Downunder55 » 07 Aug 2014, 10:11

skrodahl wrote:The volume control that I built may even have a better log curve than the ALPS pot has, for less than a dollar. Most of all, it was a fun little thing to do as I do like to tinker.

That $ value has got my attention, significantly cheaper than the Alps pot, thought it somewhat strange that I would pay as much for the amp as the pot :roll: ....... it will also give me something to build/play with while I wait impatiently for all the stuff to arrive.....Thanks for the tip.

skrodahl wrote:Place the pot between the HifiBerry and the amp, as per your plan, the function is the same and I promise you that you will not be disappointed.

Thanks for the advice.
Downunder55

Postby Peter » 16 Aug 2014, 00:56

I have just received my TPA3116 board, now I am just waiting for the pots etc. Please let us have an update, skrodahl and Downunder55!! :D :D :P
Peter

Postby Downunder55 » 17 Aug 2014, 06:38

Peter wrote:I have just received my TPA3116 board, now I am just waiting for the pots etc. Please let us have an update, skrodahl and Downunder55!! :D :D :P

Waiting , waiting .... All my parts are still shipping, but as I am away at the moment not as frustrating as it would have been if I were at home watching the post box :lol:
Downunder55

Postby skrodahl » 20 Aug 2014, 00:24

Peter wrote:I have just received my TPA3116 board, now I am just waiting for the pots etc. Please let us have an update, skrodahl and Downunder55!! :D :D :P

I've been really busy lately, so no progress to speak of.

The amp itself is finished, and is in daily use. It's missing the phono preamp and wiring for the three remaining inputs. I don't know when I will find the time to finalize the phono pre, but I'll make sure to write about it here when it's done.
-skrodahl

skrodahl

Postby skrodahl » 22 Aug 2014, 23:25

This is one sweet amplifier. And since these amp boards are so cheap, I just ordered the green board from eBay seller audiobah (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amplifier-board ... 25903efbda).

Meanwhile, I'm waiting for the necessary components for my phono pre power supply. It will be interesting to see if the difference between the amp boards are as great as many claim.
-skrodahl

skrodahl

Postby Peter » 28 Aug 2014, 11:41

The beast is alive!!! At last, working TPA3116 amp using a black board. Strangely, no pops at switch on - did have initially, but that was an issue of 28awg wires breaking. Replaced with 18awg, and no further issues. Thanks Skrodahl for the log volume control instructions - mine is not as elegant as yours, but it works. Waiting for delivery of the linear log pot for balance, then it is finalised (but currently working beautifully).

Christened TBA (The Bloody Amplifier) as I cut myself again while building - this follows up on TBC (The Bloody Cables) which are DIY interconnects, also with some blood loss due to inefficient use of a scalpel.

Interested to hear you have ordered the Audiobah board, Skrodahl - I am contemplating the original red board which is cheaper, and has quite a following on the Audiokarma site too.

How is your project coming on, Downunder55?

What are your names anyway. :lol:
Peter

Postby ACX » 28 Aug 2014, 14:01

Peter you could build a audiophile business on the blood thing, taking it as the new snake oil :D

EDIT - @skrodahl and @Peter: what about entering your project in the Microcontroller Contest organized by Instructables and RadioShack? There are some interesting prizes to be won. We could apply with RuneAudio's Rpi Instructable, but there is no hardware tinkering involved in that, so it's a bit out of context.
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

PreviousNext

Return to DIY and tweaks