TPA3116 / RuneAudio Project

Build/modify/repair equipment and improve systems performance by yourself

Re: TPA3116 / RuneAudio Project

Postby skrodahl » 01 Aug 2014, 23:11

So now that I've spent some time listening to RuneAudio 0.3a and the TPA3116, what do I think?

The best amp I've ever heard (with home usage in mind, none of these will be able to play at stadium volume levels) is the Topping TP20 (a T-amp using TriPath's TA2020), and I've both heard and had quite a few amps. This is definitely in the same league as the TriPath. Using the TPA with lower volumes, it's clearly better.

The sound signature in RuneAudio is a very important feature for me. With the TA2020, I found that the default "RuneAudio" profile was the best. Now, with the new amp, the "ACX" profile gives me the same transparency.

I've got a 19V/3.5A power supply for the TPA3116, I guess that would bring me in around the 25W territory. Compare that to the TA2020, which would provide a maximum of 8 clean watts into my 8 ohm speakers. In terms of absolute volume, the difference is almost non-existent.

I can't declare a winner, but it's nice to know that there is an alternative to the TriPaths. ThriPath went bankrupt more than five years ago, and the supply of amplifier chips must run out sooner or later.

I'm happy with my build and the amp sounds great. The versatility with more inputs, balance control and (when it's complete) a phono preamp is sufficient for me to keep it as my main amp.
-skrodahl

Muffsy Phono Preamp PP-3 || Audiobah TPA3116 || ESP P88 || ProJect Debut Carbon Espirit DC || RuneAudio / RaspBerry Pi / HifiBerry DAC || Dynaco A25
skrodahl

Postby ACX » 02 Aug 2014, 04:40

The "ACX" profile was put together for my secondary equipment (DIY ampli based on Tripath TA2024 and Indiana Line HC206), it's interesting to see that it works well in similar conditions (on my primary equipment it becomes instead my last choice, preferring the "tight" OrionV2).
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

Postby skrodahl » 02 Aug 2014, 12:44

ACX wrote:The "ACX" profile was put together for my secondary equipment (DIY ampli based on Tripath TA2024 and Indiana Line HC206), it's interesting to see that it works well in similar conditions (on my primary equipment it becomes instead my last choice, preferring the "tight" OrionV2).

For the TA2020, I found the default "RuneAudio" and the "UM3..." profiles to give the best result. There are just a few nuances different between "RuneAudio" and "ACX" with the TPA3116 (the amp is really starting to grown on me, btw), and I find that "ACX" gives more transparancy and presence. This is what I first heard when journeying through the class-D equipment, and I really like that a lot.

Thanks again for RuneAudio, it deserves to be the heart of any stereo system.
-skrodahl

Muffsy Phono Preamp PP-3 || Audiobah TPA3116 || ESP P88 || ProJect Debut Carbon Espirit DC || RuneAudio / RaspBerry Pi / HifiBerry DAC || Dynaco A25
skrodahl

Postby Downunder55 » 04 Aug 2014, 08:31

skrodahl wrote:Thanks again for RuneAudio, it deserves to be the heart of any stereo system.
[/quote]

Hear, Hear ! .....(stereo... :) )

Skrodahl thanks for your answer over on Audiokarma, I have been playing with the Pi and Rune for a while also and loving it !

I am planning as my first little venture into 3116's to have a stand alone "Rune Box" with a Pi, HifiBerry, an internal 2.5" HD for the FLAC's, but will probably transition to SSD, Wifi router, Audiobah and an Alps pot all in a single case and powered by an external 19v PS with the UI on an iPad...... so just add power and speakers !

Think I am being a little optimistic on the case, but would like it to be in a 135mm * 180mm * 49mm internal, but cognisant of your previous comments.

Ordered everything except the case at this stage and will get it all bench tested and then see if there is any chance it will all fit. I have cut out the items to scale and seems a little tight, but probably more worried about heat in such a small space ?

While I am waiting for all the kit to arrive will start planning the next project for the study, running from my NAS and home network, but might wait for the new Pi and would like to try a IQaudIO.com Pi-DAC this time, but still deciding on the amp.

So much reading to do and so many opinions to filter ......not sure that I want to "mod" boards at this stage as I think a Chimp would have better soldering skills than I (no offence intended to primates).
Downunder55

Postby skrodahl » 04 Aug 2014, 09:22

Downunder55 wrote:Think I am being a little optimistic on the case, but would like it to be in a 135mm * 180mm * 49mm internal, but cognisant of your previous comments.

So much reading to do and so many opinions to filter ......not sure that I want to "mod" boards at this stage as I think a Chimp would have better soldering skills than I (no offence intended to primates).

The size of your enclosure should be fine, I insisted on having an internal PSU and that's what made me run into space issues.

Are you planning to have both the amp and the RPi in the same case?

There should be no need to mod the Audiobah board in any way or form, go with it as is.
-skrodahl

skrodahl

Postby Downunder55 » 04 Aug 2014, 09:39

skrodahl wrote:Are you planning to have both the amp and the RPi in the same case?

Yes, as well as the disk, power converter (19v - 5v) and router ..... let's call it ambition :lol:

When all the kit arrives will first see if it all works as planned then, look at fitting to the case.

So much fun for so few $'s !

Also have some Sonos bits so will be interesting to see how they compare.
Downunder55

Re: R: TPA3116 / RuneAudio Project

Postby ACX » 04 Aug 2014, 10:20

Downunder55 wrote:Also have some Sonos bits so will be interesting to see how they compare.

Uhh yes, that's interesting! :) I always wondered about how they perform in terms of sound quality, considering how much they cost.
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

Re: R: TPA3116 / RuneAudio Project

Postby Downunder55 » 04 Aug 2014, 11:07

ACX wrote:
Downunder55 wrote:Also have some Sonos bits so will be interesting to see how they compare.

Uhh yes, that's interesting! :) I always wondered about how they perform in terms of sound quality, considering how much they cost.

The Connect has quite a reasonable DAC in it and the Connect Amp is also pretty good, but you are correct re the pricing.

The big strength is multi room, it's compact, very easy to set up and operate and so has a high WAF !

While the sound is good, the fun is limited as there is not much to tinker with :geek:

Will compare when all up and running.
Downunder55

Postby skrodahl » 05 Aug 2014, 00:31

Downunder55 wrote:
skrodahl wrote:Are you planning to have both the amp and the RPi in the same case?

Yes, as well as the disk, power converter (19v - 5v) and router ..... let's call it ambition :lol:

Hehe, that's ambition allright. :lol:
I don't know if you're able to place some of the PCBs vertically, or perhaps stack them. If not, you get my utmost respect if you manage to succeed. I like your sense of humor about it. :)

My own build is coming along, the phono preamp is all but finished. I'll be busy for the next week or so, so there is going to be a delay.

phono-pre.jpg
CNC Phono Preamp (http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=371889)
phono-pre.jpg (628.71 KiB) Viewed 6795 times

My volume control/balance came out great. It's a combination of Rod Elliot's volume/balance in his project P88 and project P01 (Better volume control).

p88-f3.gif
Rod Elliot, P88 (http://sound.westhost.com/project88.htm)
p88-f3.gif (2.89 KiB) Viewed 6795 times

I'm using linear potentiomenters for both balance and volume. Then I use two 12k ohm resistors, one from each center pin of the volume pot to ground, to create a log pot. That, and the input selector switch, is my entire passive preamp. (Technically it's all from P88, the 12k resistors are just not shown in the picture above. P01 will show you the theory behind it all.)
-skrodahl

skrodahl

Postby Peter » 05 Aug 2014, 22:29

I'm using linear potentiomenters for both balance and volume. Then I use two 12k ohm resistors, one from each center pin of the volume pot to ground, to create a log pot. That, and the input selector switch, is my entire passive preamp. (Technically it's all from P88, the 12k resistors are just not shown in the picture above. P01 will show you the theory behind it all.)

Hi, What value pots are you using? 100k for volume and 10k for balance as shown in the diagram, or some alternative.

Apologies if I am a copy cat, but I have just ordered the same board, after researching Audiokarma. The green board was a little bit pricey for a first attempt. Maybe later if there is an issue. Do you have any "power on" click/ pop, which seems to be an issue on some boards?

Really cool build just BTW.

Peter
Peter

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

PreviousNext

Return to DIY and tweaks