The New 4-core Raspberry Pi

Raspberry Pi related support

Re: The New 4-core Raspberry Pi

Postby dwijtsma » 10 Feb 2015, 19:52

I have come to the following at line 208. Somehow I got the feeling that I should do something other that copy/paste the following to raspberry pi:
# ----->>>> BUILD CUSTOM PACKAGES <<<<----- #
# clone RuneOS repo
git clone https://github.com/RuneAudio/RuneOS.git /usr/local/src/RuneOS

Than I found this:
https://github.com/RuneAudio/RuneOS/blo ... uction.txt

I think this is the cookbook I should have used. I think I can fix this. (I hope :roll: )
Last edited by dwijtsma on 10 Feb 2015, 20:10, edited 1 time in total.
Audio gear: RuneAudio on Raspberry Pi 2 + Dr. DAC nano, Marantz pm66se, Avalon Avatar
dwijtsma

Postby dwijtsma » 10 Feb 2015, 20:09

Using my compare tool I now have followed the raspberry cook book. I have come to the point that it gets beyond my capabilities I'm afraid.
I have to download the RuneOS packages but the naming suggest it is for the armv6.
Can I ignore this or do I have a problem now? :(
Audio gear: RuneAudio on Raspberry Pi 2 + Dr. DAC nano, Marantz pm66se, Avalon Avatar
dwijtsma

Postby ACX » 11 Feb 2015, 01:48

That's the right one but, as I told you, it's far from being perfect. It needs to be updated and reviewed, then it will be also possible to execute it like an automated script. In the meanwhile you may experiment with that.
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

Postby dwijtsma » 11 Feb 2015, 11:47

If I will succeed or not, you also learn from failure. :|

I guess Runeaudio won't work if I don't instal RuneOS.
I guess I destroy arch linux if I do install the current RuneOS

If one of the two guesses is incorrect, please let me know. This evening I will look into the RuneOS files to see if I can make sense out of it. Hopefully I won't loose all hope! :D
dwijtsma

Postby ACX » 11 Feb 2015, 12:59

dwijtsma wrote:I guess Runeaudio won't work if I don't instal RuneOS.
I guess I destroy arch linux if I do install the current RuneOS

RuneOS simply is Arch Linux + RuneUI + configurations + custom packages. The cookbook tells you how to assemble all that.
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

Postby dwijtsma » 11 Feb 2015, 17:55

When I try:
Code: Select all
pacman -U ffmpeg-rune-2.5-1-armv6h.pkg.tar.xz

I get:
Code: Select all
loading packages...
error: failed to prepare transaction (package architecture is not valid)
:: package ffmpeg-rune-2.5-1-armv6h does not have a valid architecture

Sounds logical. Trying 'pacman -S ffmpeg' isn't a good alternative I guess.
There is a 'PKGBUILD' file. I will try to compile ffmpeg with 'makepkg' later today.

A whole new world opens to me. Hopefully my posts are helpfull to other linux newbies trying to get RuneAudio to work with the new raspberry pi 2 before the experts have time to do it the right way. :D
dwijtsma

Postby Komet » 11 Feb 2015, 19:24

I also tried to get RuneAudio working on the new Raspberry Pi and got it working. But I think you need a little bit knowledge with Linux, it's nothing for Linux newbies.
I've started with the ArchLinux build and then followed a little bit of both cookbooks. Basically I've built all packages (https://github.com/RuneAudio/RuneOS/tre ... i/packages) with makepkg and copied over the relevant configuration files to /etc. Some are not mentioned in the cookbook like nginx. Other problems were:

• makepkg option --asroot has been removed in newer versions
  • Samba failed to build but I don't need it so I skipped it
  • background workers (rune_PL_wrk, rune_SY_wrk) weren't running, maybe I just forgot to enable them
  • spopd crashed without cache_path and I had to blacklist snd_bcm2835 (I'm using a HifiBerry) because spopd didn't like my asound.conf

So with a little bit experience it's not too hard to get it up and running.
Komet

Postby dwijtsma » 11 Feb 2015, 20:29

Is it possible to make an .img file from it? :roll: Win32DiskImager works in both directions I believe. Like a temporary solutions till we have a nice maybe 0.4 version with everything working. If not, at least you gave me some hope. I think I can get it working if I put enough time in it. I like that I learn a lot.

Do you notice improvements with the pi2? Curious you see speed improvements. Can you play flac at very high bit rates for example?

I'm so thankfull for all the work done by ACX, Orion and everyone else working on it. :D
dwijtsma

Postby jnfindley » 13 Feb 2015, 21:48

The Pi 2 not only has four cores where the Pi has one (more cores is in general a good thing for any multitasking OS), but it also runs at a higher clock speed and has more RAM. I don't know enough about ARM to know if the newer processor architecture has other advantages (more instructions and the like). At any rate, I would think that RuneAudio would still run better even if most parts of it were single threaded.
jnfindley

Postby hondagx35 » 16 Feb 2015, 22:31

Hi all,

i made a RuneAudio image for the RP2.

The first tests look promising, it runs very smooth and the UI is incredible fast.

With a multi core processor one can do "cool" things.
For example isolating the last two cores from the scheduler and run MPD and other stuff exclusively on them.
Core 2 and 3 isolated and core 3 running MPD.
RP2.jpg
RP2.jpg (25.03 KiB) Viewed 2068 times

or
Core 3 isolated and running MPD, cores 0-2 loaded with stress testing software.
RP2-stress-test.jpg
RP2-stress-test.jpg (38.4 KiB) Viewed 2068 times

MPD plays without issues while the UI is nearly not accessible anymore.

If this will improve the audio quality?

Frank
hondagx35

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

PreviousNext

Return to Raspberry Pi