TFT Piggy / Standalone Systems

ODROID related support

TFT Piggy / Standalone Systems

Postby rpnid » 04 Dec 2015, 01:41

I suggest to put the fb modules for the Odroid 3"2 TFT right into the official kernel for the C1[+].

While this wouldn't (IMHO) impose any real downsides upon those who don't need it, it seems like it would help a lot for those who do.

cheers,
Ralf
deepthought:~# make common sense
make: *** No rule to make target `common'. Stop.
rpnid

Re: TFT Piggy / Standalone Systems

Postby odroider » 04 Dec 2015, 09:36

The 3.2inch TFT driver module is already included in the RuneAudio image by default.
So you don't need to compile the kernel. Just edit das .bash_profile to activate the display.
runeaudio-as-a-standalone-system-server-and-client-on-c1-t1371-10.html#p9862
odroider

Postby rpnid » 04 Dec 2015, 15:56

[EDIT: Initial paragraph was cut off at the start]

Yes, but eg. I am heading for a system that may give some core options at FB console level (eg. using dialog), and then use a local desktop only conditionally.

This seems to be a bit problematic, as the modules can be made to load via mudules-load.d (ie. earlier than in the given example; if desired I may of course post the improved variant here), but this is still a bit late for the purpose.
So, it looks clearly impossible to get a console via an fbcon mapping in boot.ini with the currrent "stock version". Also, lacking a con2fbmap utility, the best I could arrive at so far is using fbgetty for the tty1 service, and then acting quite clumsily for the autologin.

But caveat: I'm an "old Debian (and server style) guy" - but a clear rookie with Arch, and also still not all too fluent with systemd. So it might well be that I'm just a bit blind/slow.

cheers,
Ralf

PS. Canonical module loading shown here: http://www.runeaudio.com/forum/module-loading-for-tft-t3010.html
Last edited by rpnid on 04 Dec 2015, 18:40, edited 1 time in total.
rpnid

Postby rpnid » 04 Dec 2015, 17:55

Oops... dunno why I used "Standalone" in the thread title. Mea culpa!

What I am personally heading for is clearly NOT a standalone system in the first place but a "Modern Player" for the start:
- to feed into the chain
- to mainly show what is currently going on, plus some reasonable "at device" options to interact in minimal fashion
- to be initially operated prim. via local tablets for the details - but IF more really proves it can reasonably be done via the small TFT, it shall of course be augmented
- to finally go into a physical box that also helps cleaning up some cabling (which would also make the wife a bit happier :))
- to add some lacking local features that may make the wife even more happier (still much at idea level, though)
- but NOT to eg. cook coffee, feed the dog, or do the laundry ;)

For the TFT, I'd of course like to make as much reasonable use of it as possible.
rpnid

Postby odroider » 07 Dec 2015, 12:27

I understood what you pointed. :D
I like the naming sense of "Modern Player" !
odroider

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to ODROID