Suptronics X5000K sound issue (power?)

Raspberry Pi related support

Suptronics X5000K sound issue (power?)

Postby Nostromo » 12 May 2017, 07:09

Hello,

I have been using Runeaudio for a long time with my RPi3 combined with a Pifi+ DAC connected to a Lepai 2020A+ amp. This worked great but was a little messy with cables and such.

So I ordered a X5000Kit from Suptronics http://www.suptronics.com/miniPCkits/x5000k.html

Runeaudio is working just fine. It reads the library off the hdd just fine and using Hifiberry DAC setting for ES9023 DAC outputs the audio.

My problem is the sound is really shallow and lacking in bass. It also starts to distort at high volumes. This is when I have my Onkyo 4ohm bookshelf speakers connected to the TPA3118 amp built into the X5000.

If I connect my Lepai to the RCA outputs of the X5000 and power the speakers with the Lepai the sound is full and back to the same quality as my PiFi+ setup.

Currently I am using an old laptop power brick rated at 19V 4.75A to power the X5000. I am thinking maybe it's the power source that is the problem? With this X5000 there is only one power source for the X800 HDD Expansion board, RPi 3, and the X5000 board (which has the DAC and Amp).

Any advice would be appreciated!

Nostromo
Nostromo

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Raspberry Pi