Supporting the Olive One player

Suggestions/requests/ideas for RuneAudio core features and functions

Re: Supporting the Olive One player

Postby hondagx35 » 13 Jun 2016, 17:15

Hi,

Up until then there has been continuous dialogue on https://olivemediainc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us . Some backers have units for sale there.

Please point me to such a dialog, because i couldn't find anything following the link you posted.

Frank
hondagx35

Postby Max. » 14 Jun 2016, 08:49

Hi Frank.

I am another stranded customer of the Olive ONE. Rune looks like a great solution for the ONE.

1) Kidahl talked about the amount of units out there; we don't know any numbers for sure, however there were 1,414 backers on Indiegogo. I guess in average every backer bought one unit ($552,242 raised / 1,414 backers = $390 ≈ unit price). Aditionally there were units sold via Amazon and myoliveone.com

2)
hondagx35 wrote:The latest software update is SW: 1.0.31 Build 67 Date: 2016-05-11.
For me this looks like they are still alive and develop new features.
What are the problems? I couldn't find any negative statements on the net.

Olive Inc. slowly reduced its efforts in development of the Olive ONE OS. After the release of the ONE tickets on Zendesk were answered within hours by several individuals, recently answers took weeks and came just by one person usually stating he/she put it on a list for future releases. These releases were scheduled on a roadmap pointing to version 1.0.36. As you found out, .31 was released in 2016, however was scheduled for Aug, 2015. You see the problem.
In the aftermath of SW release .36 several discussions on Zendesk started without any reaction of Olive. We also systematically tried to contact the company via e-mail and Zendest tickets – no reaction. The website http://www.olive.us was the company website, which was down for a couple of days and now is forwarded to the product website of the Olive ONE. I guess just to turn the remaining units into money. The CEO of Olive, Robert Bergmann, moved on to a new company based in Munich that works in the IoT business. Several others left the company as to see in their records on LinkedIn etc. So for me it seems the investors and the management pulled the plug with a final statement that is SW release .31

3)
hondagx35 wrote:Please point me to such a dialog, because i couldn't find anything following the link you posted.

There are/were several eBay auctions for the ONE (e.g., http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/-/162078287015) and as mentioned by Kidahl in the community forums on Zendesk. You must be registered for the Olive community to see the forums, so I cannot point you there directly.
Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 09.35.08.jpg
Olive ONE for sale
Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 09.35.08.jpg (159.5 KiB) Viewed 7107 times

4) Here are some images of the ONE that might be helpful:
Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 09.48.23.jpg
Inside I
Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 09.48.23.jpg (117.75 KiB) Viewed 7107 times

Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 09.49.06.jpg
Inside II
Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 09.49.06.jpg (132.21 KiB) Viewed 7107 times

I hope I could help a bit…
Max
Max.

Postby Martijn » 14 Jun 2016, 14:20

Hi...

Another user of the Olive ONE here....
I could make a couple of pictures of the hardware tomorrowmorning. Will post them here afterward...
Martijn

Postby Kidahl » 14 Jun 2016, 21:03

The file limit on 256 kB makes a hardware image a bit useless (lots of small text on the chips).

See here for a high-res picture:

https://slack-files.com/T1D6HPX2A-F1GTP4SBB-b919bf7962
Kidahl

Postby Kidahl » 15 Jun 2016, 07:22

One update that might be important; The unit runs libc 2.13 which is too old for the ARM binaries I have found so far (not Rune).
Kidahl

Postby hondagx35 » 15 Jun 2016, 09:47

Hi,

to use Rune you have to replace the OS anyway.

Frank
hondagx35

Postby Kidahl » 15 Jun 2016, 15:35

OK, thank you so much for your for your help. It is getting clear that any serious development effort will require a viable viable distribution as a basis, such as Arch linux.
Kidahl

Postby Patsfan53 » 30 Oct 2016, 08:20

I never posted to a forum before and apologize if I did it wrong. I have a 1 tb Olive One, was promised a 2tb when I tried to cancel due to a year overdo from promised date. (they refused to give it to me, but told me they sent a 2 tb!) I have had NOTHING but horror stories. Do you experience the player loading artist double named? Breaking up an album into several different files? locking/freezing/ all sorts of glitches. I am disabled so I am in bed a lot(spine injury) so it has kept me busy TRYING to fix my library.This has actually been great to keep me occupied, but it never fixes anything. The company has done this before on other media players,just stopped supporting them.All I can say is I am glad I didn't spend 2000$ on this !! The company lied to me from day one and I wish I had some kind of recourse, but they had to have lost a lot on these as they are quality built, just software issues plague them. They can not handle big music collections, If anyone ever figures out how to add better software it would be great. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED Thanks
Patsfan53

Postby bfontana » 24 Nov 2016, 18:17

I would happily donate a ONE if it would advance the movement of a software overhaul. It is a nice piece of hardware but the software is fairly horrible.

My objective was to create an audiophile caliber home audio system but given the software limitations, the experience is way too fragile, cumbersome, and limited. Though I can stream Google Music via Bubblesoft and synchronous play across my ONE units approximates the experience I was striving for, compared to a mature platform like Sonos the ONEs perform as if they are still in Beta testing. That could be fine if they were still developing and supported, but it appears they have been abandoned.

If there are creative ideas to leverage Rune for a solution that would enable synchronous play and native support for streaming content (Google Music, Spotify, etc.), I'm happy to donate a unit for exploration.

Thanks
bfontana

Postby jcueto » 26 Dec 2016, 23:50

I am looking for possible hack of the Olive One. So far I make some tests with the monitor and the touchscreen. The monitor is compatible with the 7" raspberry pi display. I may fit a RPi inside and make a player. Too bad losing the Olive one board, amp and dac.
jcueto

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

PreviousNext

Return to Feature request