Support for multichannel AC3 and 48kbit DTS-files

Suggestions/requests/ideas for RuneAudio core features and functions

Support for multichannel AC3 and 48kbit DTS-files

Postby starman.cw » 01 Mar 2016, 19:33

First I want thank you for a superb software! With my HifiBerry Digi+ I feel I've acquired one of the best audio players this amount of money can buy. :D

I've got quite a few 5.1 DTS-tracks and some 5.1 AC3-tracks in 48kbit/s. Is there any support for that or do have plans for supporting it?

The two 5.1 DTS-wav recordings I have plays fine but these are in 44.1kbit/s.

/starman
starman.cw

Re: Support for multichannel AC3 and 48kbit DTS-files

Postby starman.cw » 03 Mar 2016, 07:32

As it goes I found that my blu-ray player supports Matroska audio .mka. And if I merged an 48kbit/s 5.1 ac3 or dts-file to a mka-container it plays nicely.

But Rune does not seem to have any support for mka since my files never showed up in my library. Is there a way to get Rune to recognize mka as a playable format?

/starman
starman.cw

Postby hondagx35 » 03 Mar 2016, 13:16

Hi starman,

the playable media types are not a RuneAudio feature.
It is mpd and its codecs which are relevant for this.

You can see all enabled formats with:
Code: Select all
mpd --version

looks like this with a RP2:
Code: Select all
Decoders plugins:
 [mad] mp3 mp2
 [vorbis] ogg oga
 [oggflac] ogg oga
 [flac] flac
 [sndfile] wav aiff aif au snd paf iff svx sf voc w64 pvf xi htk caf sd2
 [audiofile] wav au aiff aif
 [dsdiff] dff
 [dsf] dsf
 [faad] aac
 [ffmpeg] 16sv 3g2 3gp 4xm 8svx aa3 aac ac3 afc aif aifc aiff al alaw amr anim apc ape asf atrac au aud avi avm2 avs bap bfi c93 cak cin cmv cpk daud dct divx dts dv dvd dxa eac3 film flac flc fli fll flx flv g726 gsm gxf iss m1v m2v m2t m2ts m4a m4b m4v mad mj2 mjpeg mjpg mka mkv mlp mm mmf mov mp+ mp1 mp2 mp3 mp4 mpc mpeg mpg mpga mpp mpu mve mvi mxf nc nsv nut nuv oga ogm ogv ogx oma ogg omg opus psp pva qcp qt r3d ra ram rl2 rm rmvb roq rpl rvc shn smk snd sol son spx str swf tgi tgq tgv thp ts tsp tta xa xvid uv uv2 vb vid vob voc vp6 vmd wav webm wma wmv wsaud wsvga wv wve

Frank
hondagx35

Postby starman.cw » 08 Mar 2016, 15:34

Would it be possible to get the AC3/DTS audio-signal to passthrough directly to my AV-receiver via my RPI2 with Hifiberry Digi+? Is there a setting for this in MPD?

Since both formats are visible in the gui it's disappointing to not be able to play them. Although I can play the ac3 by enabling the ffmpeg but that converts the 5.1 ac3 to stereo when playing it, whereas the DTS-files does not play at all.

/Starman
starman.cw

Postby dunghnguyen » 09 Mar 2016, 16:03

This morning, I tried setting in MPD to be out the signal to HDMI ok so I suggest you should try to see how?

the HifiBerry Digi+ is just the add-on device to transport the 2 channel hifi stereo digital signal to coaxial / optical / USB in of a DAC....I guess like that technically.

I will test multi-channel sound as you concerned out to HDMI tomorrow.
dunghnguyen

Postby dunghnguyen » 10 Mar 2016, 08:43

Tested with 5.1 .dts files. It seems the file played as appeared on the Rune UI but the sound out from receiver is messy ones...it means Rune does not passthru the raw digital signal to receivers :(
dunghnguyen

Postby AlleyCat » 14 Mar 2016, 21:47

A good passthrough implementation for digital multichannel audio is with with the recent version of Kodi. My receiver detects DTS playing on RPI2b + HiFiBerryDIGI+ . My sources are purchased at iTrax.com, which gives option for downloading music files at different encodings.

I am using RuneAudio for stereo audio only.

If I may, I'd like also to request the following:
1) a through options for multi-channel DTS files (I use FLAC 96/24)
2) Add "pipe" output method to MPD.

Thank you for a great software, which I paid (donate).

AlleyCat.
AlleyCat

Postby hondagx35 » 14 Mar 2016, 21:55

Hi,

i do not have the possibilities to work on and test such a feature.
ACX and Orion are busy with the development of the next release.

If someone with time and knowledge could help at this point is welcome to help.

Frank
hondagx35

Postby dunghnguyen » 22 Mar 2016, 17:07

Actually I do not know why we need the Rune to play multi-channel audio as the right role is receiver that we all knew when playing HD films with DTS / AC3 / Dolby Digital ....

If you want Rune to play multi-channel audio to be out to 2 channels then the best way is to play the wav files (16/44.1) in term of the best quality even storage savings or the better option with hires (24/192, dsd)

In any case, if we still want to play multi channel audio (classic music) then we need to do something (question for developer) so that Rune just play and passthru the digital signal out to hdmi then the next job is of receiver. I tested 5.1 dts it has not done the passthru.
dunghnguyen

Postby dunghnguyen » 22 Mar 2016, 17:29

AlleyCat wrote:A good passthrough implementation for digital multichannel audio is with with the recent version of Kodi. My receiver detects DTS playing on RPI2b + HiFiBerryDIGI+ . My sources are purchased at iTrax.com, which gives option for downloading music files at different encodings.

I am using RuneAudio for stereo audio only.

If I may, I'd like also to request the following:
1) a through options for multi-channel DTS files (I use FLAC 96/24)
2) Add "pipe" output method to MPD.

Thank you for a great software, which I paid (donate).

AlleyCat.

If you connect RPi2 to receiver via HDMI playing dts by Kodi then dts will be passthrough surely and the Digi+ is no meaning in this case. Digi+ is just for Rune to play files to passthru digital stereo to DAC.
dunghnguyen

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Feature request