Sudden shifts in imaging (phase shifts?) (solved)

Raspberry Pi related support

Sudden shifts in imaging (phase shifts?) (solved)

Postby buckaroo » 12 Dec 2016, 05:21

Hi, all -- I'm running a Hifiberry DAC+ Pro on a Pi3 with Runeaudio 0.4 and am having a strange problem. Occasionally I will perceive a sudden change in the soundstage imaging, with instruments, vocals, etc. hopping quickly to different parts of the image. It sounds almost as if something is introducing phase shifts in to the output, shifting the phasing of the drivers. Often I've heard a soft "pop" accompanying this shift. This has happened on a variety of recordings, and does not repeat in the same position of the song, so I'm certain it's either a hardware or a software issue. Can someone comment on what might be causing this, and what a possible solution might be? Thanks!

(Also posting issue on Hifiberry forum)
buckaroo

Re: Sudden shifts in imaging (phase shifts?)

Postby hondagx35 » 12 Dec 2016, 08:23

Hi buckaroo,

please read this

Frank
hondagx35

Postby buckaroo » 12 Dec 2016, 14:05

Hi, Frank -- that certainly does sound similar to my problem, even though I'm not getting a complete channel swap. I'll give the advice there a try and see what happens. Thanks!
buckaroo

Postby buckaroo » 13 Dec 2016, 02:33

Okay, I've confirmed that I am getting a full channel swap, but the fix from the thread you posted isn't working for me. When I run pacman to update the packages, I get:

Code: Select all
error: target not found: raspberrypi-firmware-bootloader

...and although I forge ahead anyway to see what will happen, after I complete the rest of the steps the problem persists. Do I need to be working from within a particular directory? I've tried a fresh flash of Rune to start everything from scratch, but it hasn't worked.

Thanks!
buckaroo

Postby buckaroo » 13 Dec 2016, 03:14

One additional data point: Rune seems to think that I'm running a Pi2, according to the System Status display in the UI. I'm actually running a Pi3. I don't know if that would make a difference, but I thought I'd mention it.
buckaroo

Postby hondagx35 » 13 Dec 2016, 15:03

Hi buckaroo,

the Pi3 is a 64bit processor, but there is no special kernel available for it yet.
The only kernel available has some drawbacks:
AArch64 Installation

This provides an installation using the mainline kernel and U-Boot. There is no support for the vendor-provided libraries, extensions, or related software. Some of the hardware on the board may not work, or it may perform poorly.

Thiis is the reason why your PI3 runs as a PI2 by using rune audio.

Frank
hondagx35

Postby buckaroo » 13 Dec 2016, 16:12

Does this mean that there is no fix yet for the channel swap problem on Pi3, since I can't properly update the kernel?
buckaroo

Postby surfninja » 13 Dec 2016, 16:29

buckaroo, I'm running a RP2 and hifi DAC+ compatible HAT and got this fixed. I'd suggest you read the link that Frank provided above. I might have used that to fix my issue (basically update to 0.4 with a new kernel). I can provide at uname -a if it helps.

I don't recall all the steps but I'm enjoying my Rune experience.
rAudio 1, Raspberry Pi 2B
rAudio 1, Raspberry Pi 4B
rAudio 1, Raspberry Pi Zero W
surfninja

Postby buckaroo » 13 Dec 2016, 16:51

Thanks, surfninja - my problem is that those steps don't work for me, apparently because of the error that I'm getting while attempting to update the kernel. I'm hoping that there's a solution to that problem. I should then be able to fix the channel swap problem.
buckaroo

Postby buckaroo » 13 Dec 2016, 17:43

Searching the Arch Linux ARM site, the package "raspberrypi-firmware-bootloader" doesn't exist, which may be why I'm getting my error. However, there is one called "raspberrypi-bootloader". Is that the one I should be using?
buckaroo

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Next

Return to Raspberry Pi