Stream over internet

Raspberry Pi related support

Stream over internet

Postby dimmuboy » 01 Dec 2014, 00:29

Hi there,
I want to use this distro with raspi like subsonic free light alternative.
I have public IP, working dynamic DNS and now I need some method to stream music into my computer or smartphone. I tried HTTP stream in MPD and it working great but I can't edit mpd.conf without lose changes.

Have anybody solution for streaming to my browser like cherrymusic or to any app?
dimmuboy

Re: Stream over internet

Postby Orion » 01 Dec 2014, 01:29

Hi,
please wait some more days, we are introducing a mod that will do what do you need.
You will able to de-activate the auto-generation of mpd.conf, so you will be able to handle custom configuration cases.

Bye.

Simone.
RuneAudio - Embedded Hi-Fi music player
SoloStereo - Alla riscoperta dell'alta fedeltà
Orion
RuneAudio co-founder

Postby dimmuboy » 01 Dec 2014, 07:46

Best solution would be integrate http streaming to RuneUI.. maybe later.
dimmuboy

Postby skrodahl » 01 Dec 2014, 22:28

Hi Dimmuboy,

The nice thing about both RuneAudio and Subsonic is that they work with an existing file structure. RuneAudio even mounts the directory structure Read-Only.

This means that you can, like I do, use both RuneAudio and Subsonic with your music library. Yes, I know that Subsonic requires a subscription/donation to make it available on the Internet/on your device. The easy solution to this is simply to also donate to RuneAudio. :)
-skrodahl

Muffsy Phono Preamp PP-3 || Audiobah TPA3116 || ESP P88 || ProJect Debut Carbon Espirit DC || RuneAudio / RaspBerry Pi / HifiBerry DAC || Dynaco A25
skrodahl

Postby dimmuboy » 02 Dec 2014, 08:04

But I don't want subsonic, it was only for example. I like RuneUI and completely was enough simple switch for streaming to browser directly as have MPDroid.
btw I donated RuneAudio already :)
dimmuboy

Postby skrodahl » 02 Dec 2014, 16:17

dimmuboy wrote:But I don't want subsonic, it was only for example. I like RuneUI and completely was enough simple switch for streaming to browser directly as have MPDroid.
btw I donated RuneAudio already :)

Excellent, these guys deserve all the donations they can get. :)

Like I said, I'm using Subsonic and I have for many years. For me, it was just easy to assume that everyone else would want it too. I would expect that Internet streaming in RuneAudio would be a long way off. RuneAudio is first and foremost a hifi music player. I like that it just reads the existing tree structure, so that other services can do the same with no conflict.
-skrodahl

Muffsy Phono Preamp PP-3 || Audiobah TPA3116 || ESP P88 || ProJect Debut Carbon Espirit DC || RuneAudio / RaspBerry Pi / HifiBerry DAC || Dynaco A25
skrodahl

Postby matt » 03 Dec 2014, 07:47

Okay I'm obviously missing something here.
Whats the difference between web radio and internet streaming?
The few (what i thought were) web radio stations I have tried to add stream over the internet. Is this why I cant get any to work?
matt

Postby skrodahl » 04 Dec 2014, 00:06

matt wrote:Okay I'm obviously missing something here.
Whats the difference between web radio and internet streaming?
The few (what i thought were) web radio stations I have tried to add stream over the internet. Is this why I cant get any to work?

Sorry about the confusion matt,

Internet radio stations are available to everyone, and stream whatever they have in their program for you to listen to.

Imagine instead that you have your entire music library, through RuneAudio, available with you wherever you go. As long as you have an Internet connection. Sort of like having your own private Spotify. That's the suggestion from dimmuboy.

There are solutions that will provide that functionality. One of them is Subsonic, that will happily co-exist with RuneAudio and use the same library/file structure.

RuneAudio is, at least for now, a hifi music player that will output the music to an amplifier and not as an Internet stream. The developers will decide the future functionality, but streaming from RuneAudio seems like an unlikely option at the moment.

Edit: My answer on why it's unlikely that RuneAudio will provide streaming capabilities for now is that it's based on MPD. A look at what MPD is, and what it isn't will help in understanding why I answered the way I did.

Again, there's nothing stopping the developers from adding this functionality though. Several options come to mind, for instance the fifo/pipe output plugins which can hand the audio output over to another piece of software, or the http/shout output plugins.
-skrodahl

skrodahl

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Raspberry Pi