Some help mounting network drive

Raspberry Pi related support

Some help mounting network drive

Postby fongalv » 18 Aug 2015, 17:39

Hi All,

First post here, RPI/Linux newbie, so I hope you can be patient with me. I've done a search and followed through some of the troubleshooting threads(http://www.runeaudio.com/forum/trying-to-access-music-on-windows-7-pc-t138.html) but got no luck.

I've managed to do the simple stuff of flashing both Volumio/Runeaudio with much ease, and much prefer Runeaudio(hence me being here), and also managed to get DLNA streaming from JRiver running on my desktop, but found it a little cumbersome(and laggy) when I remote control JRiver(via Gizmo on my handphone) to select tracks to be streamed through the RPI.

I would now like to try controlling the RPI Runeaudio via webUI and spent the better part of the entire weekend trying to mount the desktops harddisk, but it just refuses to work.

I've done the usual sharing of the desktop harddisk D:/ via the "advance sharing" tab (the music files are on D:/, OS on C:/), disabling "password protected sharing", double checked the desktops IP address, but I kept getting the same few errors(no such device, access denied, etc). I've tried everything I can think of but with no luck and I was hoping someone could point out the obvious mistake that I must missed somewhere along the way...

A couple of screenshots below:

Have also tried "192.168.1.16\D\" but it didnt work either:

Thanks in advance!
fongalv

Re: Some help mounting network drive

Postby hondagx35 » 18 Aug 2015, 21:57

Hi fongalv,

welcome to the world of RuneAudio.

From third picture you can get the name of your Remote directory.
In your case it is "d" (without the quotes).

If this doesn't work try to switch of guest access and your credentials (login name and password from your windows pc).

Hope this helps.

Frank
hondagx35

Postby fongalv » 19 Aug 2015, 02:04

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the welcome, and for taking the effort to reply to everyone's queries.

I've actually already tried just "d", but it didn't work. Eitherways, I tried it again, and the error msg now is "permission denied".

I've attempted to access the desktops harddisk from another computer(under my computer>network) and realised that while I can see the "media centre" pc, I'm unable to access it's drives. This shouldn't be the case as I've shared the drive on media centre, so I suspect it's got to do with settings on the media centre pc as I've previously been able to access it's files from another computer.

Previously, all the computers were in a home group and accessing each other drives were possible, but after I followed the instructions in the xbmc link above which asked me to "leave the homegroup", I'm denied access. Could this be the cause?

With regards to "guest access", the media centre pc is kinda like my htpc, so I didnt set any user/password. I've tried just turning it off but without any input, it just defaults back to "on". Tried just "user" without password, and it didn't work either.

I'm going to try joining the homegroup again when I get home.

Wish me luck.. Cheers!
fongalv

Postby surfninja » 19 Aug 2015, 03:28

I agree with Frank you need to set the remote directory to
d

it is probably case sensitive so make sure it is lower case.

permission denied is related to user permissions. Duh. If possible, set the guess access to 'off' and enter your username and password for the remote system. I do this all the time when mounting a linux drive to my RP. I don't have a windows box to run through the steps for you.

I'd make sure your share is correct on your windows system and set the remote directory to d.
rAudio 1, Raspberry Pi 2B
rAudio 1, Raspberry Pi 4B
rAudio 1, Raspberry Pi Zero W
surfninja

Postby fongalv » 19 Aug 2015, 16:51

Hi Frank, surfninja,

I was about to give up after 2hrs of running between the desktop and TV console(where the media-centre PC is), and finally got it working by tweaking the "security" tab settings!

Seems like the instructions I found were meant for Win7 and I was on Win 8(desktop) and Win 10(htpc), which now has an additional "security" tab where you have to manually add an "Everyone" user/access group.

For the benefit of anyone else encountering a similar issue, it is not enough to just select the folder, change the sharing>advanced sharing>permissions>everyone. My guess is this will only mark the folder for sharing(including who you share it with), but you will still have to create a new access group inside the security tab.

There is an additional step where you have to go into security>edit>add>"Everyone"

Finally, its working like a charm now, no lag via webUI on mobile, even DSD plays(with occasional drops), much better than Jriver DLNA streaming which forces output to PCM/stereo downmix, which introduces a whole slew of noise and static(with music playing faintly in the background).

Great job guys!
fongalv

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Raspberry Pi