SMB/CIFS problem

Raspberry Pi related support

SMB/CIFS problem

Postby MuseChaser » 03 Jan 2017, 22:55

Frank and others,

I'm baaaaccckk... with another stupid problem that hopefully you can solve. I've been enjoying the convenience of Rune on my Pi playing back my hires audio and ripped mp3 files of all my CDs so much that I thought I'd branch out, buy another Pi and install OMV (NAS software) on it along w/ a 2tb USB HD, throw all of my files on THAT, including video files, and be able to access all of my collection on the Rune and on our two Rokus. It worked great.. with the two rokus. I even managed to get the NAS mounted to Rune on the first try. The catch is, after the test run, I powered down the OMV Pi, removed the HD so I could transfer the bulk of my files to it directly from my laptop, did the transfer, reconnected the drive to the OMV Pi, powered it up, made sure the same folders were shared both in general and via SMB/CIFS, and then .. nothing. The RunePi won't connect to it. I've attached screenshots; two are of configuration screens in the GUI of OMV, and the third show what I typed into the NAS mount portion of Rune. The IP address is correct; that's what I use to access the GUI for OMV, much as I use a similar one for the RunePI (both static).

Any ideas what's going wrong or what I've missed? Like I said, it worked flawlessly and easily the first time, and I have no idea what's changed. The file system on the USB HD is NTFS, but that hasn't changed, either. I'm pretty sure that the OMV side of things is configured correclty because I CAN access that NAS and associated folders from my win7 laptop now. The Rokus use a DLNA server addon to OMV, but that's working fine too.

Your help, as always, is truly and greatly appreciated.

Thanks..

Barry
Attachments
Runeerror.JPG
Resulting error in Runeaudio
Runeerror.JPG (55.3 KiB) Viewed 4330 times
SMB Settings.JPG
Verification of SMB/CIFS settings w/in OMV
SMB Settings.JPG (94.66 KiB) Viewed 4330 times
SMB path.JPG
Verification of path
SMB path.JPG (10.32 KiB) Viewed 4330 times
MuseChaser

Re: SMB/CIFS problem

Postby hondagx35 » 03 Jan 2017, 23:13

Hi Barry,

your second picture shows the shared folder name as "NewNetworkedMedia".
Linux is case sensitive, so please type it exactly like shown and without any slash at the end.

Frank
hondagx35

Postby MuseChaser » 03 Jan 2017, 23:34

Thanks for the quick reply, Frank. I tried what you suggested to no avail. OMV's naming protocols are a little weird; it has you give a shared folder a name when you create it, but that name doesn't have to the same as the actual path name. I ran into some problems with OMV, and that may or may not be the cause.. hard to describe, but I'll try.

I had originally setup a folder called "NetworkedMedia" with the path networkedmedia/ . The first time I removed the USB HD from the OMVPi to add some files to it, for some reason the shared folder no longer registered the drive (you can see the "n/a" in one of the attached screenshots). I couldn't delete it because it was "referenced," whatever that means. My workaround was to create a new shared folder name, "NewNetworkedMedia," that points to the same path, networkedmedia/ . You can see that in the small strip-like screenshot in my first post.

The ...... NEVER MIND!! I just caught it.. I had been typing "NewNetworkMedia" instead of "NewNetworkedMedia." Holy crap. I've wasted about 8 hours of my time and now some of yours on this. I am SO sorry.....

It's up and running. Words can not express my disappointment in myself.

Thanks..

Barry
MuseChaser

Postby hondagx35 » 03 Jan 2017, 23:51

Hi Barry,

Words can not express my disappointment in myself.

You should be happy instead.
I've wasted about 8 hours of my time and now some of yours

Sooner or later the "wasted" time comes back, believe me.

Frank
hondagx35

Postby MuseChaser » 04 Jan 2017, 00:39

Thanks for your kind words of reassurance. In my (totally dubious) defense, the nomenclature used between Rune and OMV did confuse me a bit, especially as a guy who's prior experience has almost TOTALLY been in DOS in the real old days and Windows since then. The words "folder" and "path" are kind of synonymous to me. I thought it was strange that OMV let me name a folder as something, but then create a different name for the path to that folder. To me, if I create a folder in a directory on my C: drive in windows, it's name is always C:\Myfiles\foldername or whatever. The concept of creating a folder name independent of the path is a little foreign. I thought Rune needed to know the PATH to the directories (shared folders), and that's where I was screwing up. It truly DID need to know the NAME of the shared folder, period. I'll get my head around this stuff soon... just gotta start taking things VERY literally.

Thanks again, Frank.

Barry
MuseChaser

Postby surfninja » 04 Jan 2017, 04:00

Barry, I'm doing the same thing (RP3 running OMV and RP2 running Rune) and ran into a few silly mistakes. Seems to work nicely. Glad you figured it out and posted your mistake. Someone might make the same mistake (or use an easier share. I'm using 'Music').
rAudio 1, Raspberry Pi 2B
rAudio 1, Raspberry Pi 4B
rAudio 1, Raspberry Pi Zero W
surfninja

Postby hondagx35 » 04 Jan 2017, 07:42

Hi all,

Wikipedia has a good article about shared resources.

Naming convention and mapping

The share can be accessed by client computers through some naming convention, such as UNC (Universal Naming Convention) used on DOS and Windows PC computers. This implies that a network share can be addressed according to the following:

\\ServerComputerName\ShareName

where ServerComputerName is the WINS name, DNS name or IP address of the server computer, and ShareName may be a folder or file name, or its path. The shared folder can also be given a ShareName that is different from the folder local name at the server side. For example, \\server\c$ usually denotes a drive with drive letter C: on a Windows machine.

A shared drive or folder is often mapped at the client PC computer, meaning that it is assigned a drive letter on the local PC computer. For example, the drive letter H: is typically used for the user home directory on a central file server.

Frank
hondagx35

Postby MuseChaser » 12 Jan 2017, 23:33

Thanks again, Frank. Here's another (probably very simple) semi-related question...

Everything's working great. However, the NewNetworkedMedia share has subfolders in it for my Rokus, too. In the Sources: Network Mount : Remote Directory, is there anything I can type that will point Rune only to the NewNetworkedMedia/Audio directory so MPD doesn't include all my movies and video in the library, or do I have to create a new "share" on the NAS for that?

Why... yes there IS a way to do this. I just found it! You append the address w/ "\" then the name of the folder/directory you wish.. ONLY REMEMBER THAT CAPITALIZATION MATTERS again.. for the @#$#$# time.. sorry.. sigh.. learning.. sloooooowwwwwllllyy

Thanks.. really appreciate all the help.

BArry
MuseChaser

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Raspberry Pi