RunePi SuperAmp w/ simple display... tips?

Raspberry Pi related support

RunePi SuperAmp w/ simple display... tips?

Postby Spaker » 19 Oct 2018, 10:46

First, HELLO!

Please forgive me for crashing into your online community- in which I am a stranger to you, but not to the gear. I hope I am not a big bother and someone here might understand my plight and find it easy to copy and paste me some links. If this is the type of request that comes in twice a day... my bad.

I am no stranger to the Pi. I have been using it as a cable cutting device for almost six years and the amount I have not spent on cable service itself, along with their their included set top box DVR charge per month, taxes and all the other fees since I cut the cord- my savings have topped topped over $6,500 earlier this year to date since I started using the Pi. Love it. I've branched out trying to buy other SBCs with more horsepower, but seem to keep returning to the Pi.

I've used Volumio and Rune before. I have no problem getting Rune running and using it. I like it. I'd like to be directed to being able to use Rune for online streaming services. Podcasts? http:// stream addresses? Some other way to use add-ones like in the video section? Any hints, tutorials you know of, other threads, cool projects....

Help Request ONE:

Looking to be able to
NAS
Cloud
Audio Add Ons
http:// streaming sources (AM/FM simulcasts)
USB drive plugged into Pi
Stream from network connected devices
FUTURE ONLINE STREAMS http://
--USE 3rd PARTY HiFi multi-pin DAC Hat: PiFi Dac+ v2.0

edit: I forgot to write about the DAC. It's a Chinese knock off that supposedly works with the HiFi Berry setting in Rune. Can anyone confirm or deny? I got it working on one of the Rune settings before. The name on my knock off is:

"PiFi DAC+ v2.0"

there it is, sitting on a Pi.

SONG & ARTIST "simple" DISPLAY

I am not opposed to any embedded on device GUI, whether it be just DOT Matrix type text on 2 or 3 lines and simple contols that move up, down, left, right, "enter" with buttons used for scrolling. Realizing Rune is controlled by browser, probably just the artist/song display on that simple display is what I am after. Assuming Rune will continue to be controlled via a web interface. Again, simple display on the device, which again- will be a stereo component with amps with few contrls and a little display... like this:

Pandora, Spotify, Some Podcasting Service, Obscure Audio App by my favorite band, Amazon Music, Google Music, http:// streaming links, YouTube Music(?), Future Streams

There seems to be a hodgepodge of elements of this project on Instructables ads sites like it. I'd just like some pointers on some good tutorials for this stuff. The display on the outside is what I'll need most help with, along with integrating an Arduino.

Just looking to put it all together and not miss something really important.

Pointers, tips and advice all welcomed.

And.... again, sorry if people come here with big ideas all the time asking for advice. The difference my be that I actually complete this stuff.
Spaker

Re: RunePi SuperAmp w/ simple display... tips?

Postby rastus » 19 Oct 2018, 23:27

"I forgot to write about the DAC. It's a Chinese knock off that supposedly works with the HiFi Berry setting in Rune. Can anyone confirm or deny?"

The PiFi DAC+ works fine with RuneAudio, and Volumio, just fine. I have been using it for years. Just follow the instructions to setup the HiFi Berry DAC+.

I suggest you get the DAC working before attempting to get the diplay working, then after you have RuneAudio up and running with your DAC, then move on to getting the display working. One thing at a time, best practice.

Regards,

Rastus
rastus

Postby Spaker » 20 Oct 2018, 15:08

rastus wrote:
The PiFi DAC+ works fine with RuneAudio, and Volumio, just fine. I have been using it for years. Just follow the instructions to setup the HiFi Berry DAC+.

I suggest you get the DAC working before attempting to get the diplay working, then after you have RuneAudio up and running with your DAC, then move on to getting the display working. One thing at a time, best practice.

Regards,

Rastus

Thanks. Done and Done. DAC works fine.

Now on to the hardest part for me. This display business. Anyone done this? Or a variation? Not married to the 2 line simple display.

This Amplifier I am making is just two stereo amplifiers in an enclosure with power supplies. I'd like to be able to include the Pi inside it as a second source with the simple display on the amp enclosure. It's a pretty simple concept that is a little tricky to fabricate correctly, but nothing out of bounds. One stereo input. Source 2= Pi. Source 3 = Bluetooth 4./4.2 receiver. Distribution amplifier inside enclosure to duplicate stereo signal to both amplifiers, plus two stereo outputs. One for a sub-woofer, one for who knows what. Each amp will have a "soft on" and "soft off" when I incorporate circuits I have fashioned for this purpose. Power button and two knobs on the front: volume front and volume rear.

It's a goofy, custom thing that would only work in certain situations. I wouldn't think this dual amp three input, four output device would appeal to most. But it is perfect for my uses.

It's going to be pretty cool regardless.... but I'd like to have the simple "Song / Artist" display if I can swing it.

Thanks

Pete
Spaker

Postby Spaker » 20 Oct 2018, 17:27

Huh.

Surfing the forum here... maybe "simple display" isn't the right choice.

A fellow named Adrian posted this....

Demonstration video
https://youtu.be/6pgxGQIAX9s

Now that is what I'm talkin 'bout.

His post has a github link and he seems helpful. Maybe I can swing this.

Going to the machine shop to lay out an enclosure for all this stuff I am jamming into it. Might just end up being a sort of network hub for the home. Not sure yet.... but this multiroom music server looks to have more uses than just playing tunes. Results to follow.
Spaker

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Raspberry Pi