RuneAudio not reacting after DAC shutdown

Raspberry Pi related support

RuneAudio not reacting after DAC shutdown

Postby skfly » 01 Jun 2016, 09:03

Hello, my name is Stefan, and this is my first post in this forum. Please excuse me if this topic has already been raised, but I wasn't able to find any similar cases.

I'm using a Raspberry Pi 2 with RuneAudio v0.3-beta. Connected via USB is an external DAC (Pioneer A-50DA amplifier with integrated USB DAC). When initially powered up, everything works perfect - music is being loaded from my Windows Share, sound quality is great, everything is responsive and good. I really love using RuneAudio for listening to my music.

The problems begin though once I power down my amplifier and with it the DAC, as it always crashes afterwards. I don't power down the raspberry (it is located behind the amplifier), and I would expect it to resume operation once the amplifier is turned on again, but this does not happen. While parts of RuneAudio seem to be responsive (playlist, library), switching to the MPD section freezes the unit (same when trying to access the debug section). The only solution for this is to disconnect the raspberry from power and turn it on again - then everything works fine again. Here's my debug info (after having successfully restarted the device): http://pastebin.com/H47Yx95Z

Is anyone else experiencing this behaviour? Am I doing something wrong?
skfly

Re: RuneAudio not reacting after DAC shutdown

Postby PeteB » 01 Jun 2016, 16:58

Hi Stefan,

and welcome to the forum. If you provide some additional information, it would make it easier to tell you what may be going wrong.

For example,

Can you close and open the UI in the browser when the power is turned off at the amplifier. In other words, does the UI restart when the amplifer is off?

Can you still log into the Pi using ssh?

Is the maximum USB current set to 1?

Where is the Pi power supply plugged in?

Have you tried disconnecting the USB cable before power down, and then reconnecting it after power is turned off, to test if the USB is causing a power glitch?

Pete
PeteB

Postby skfly » 02 Jun 2016, 13:54

Hi Pete,

thank you for your reply. I did a few tests:

• Powered up receiver first, then raspi.
    RuneAudio and SSH connection work fine.
  • Shutdown receiver.
    RuneAudio web interface and SSH connection work fine immediately after this
  • Power up receiver.
    RuneAudio and SSH connection work fine, music playback works fine
  • Shutdown receiver.
    Same responsive behavior as above immediately after shutdown
  • Wait approx. 1 hour (with receiver powered off)
    RuneAudio web interface is responsive while browsing through the library, but it stops responding once I click either 'Debug' or 'MPD'.
    SSH connection works fine

So, timing seems to be of an issue.

BTW, the raspberry is powered by a no-name USB power adapter connected directly to the wall socket (no switched power source controlled by the receiver). Max USB current is set to 1, as by default.

I will do further tests with a different power source and with just deconnecting the USB cable to the receiver instead of powering it down.
skfly

Postby rastus » 02 Jun 2016, 14:46

Removed by rastus, false information. Sorry about that.
Last edited by rastus on 03 Jun 2016, 00:02, edited 2 times in total.
rastus

Postby skfly » 02 Jun 2016, 15:19

Well, too late for that - I already tried this approach, but experienced the same behavior as before:

• RuneUI was responsive after 'hot-unplugging' the receiver/DAC.
  • After a while, only parts of the UI were responsive (see previous post)
  • SSH worked all the time

I'm trying a different power source at the moment, but my guess is that this is not an issue of power (which seemed a good approach to me). Instead, the sudden absence of the DAC somehow disturbs MPD. But without being an expert I could only guess (e.g. MPD tries to access the USB DAC and crashed).
skfly

Postby PeteB » 02 Jun 2016, 15:44

Power supply issues usually surface during power-on and -off. The Pi uses just 0.3~0.4 amps while running, but it can be much more during start and shutdown.

USB ports are designed to be connected/disconnected with power on, so this should be ok, as long as other normal precautions are observed.

I have not noticed this behavior with my USB DAC. I have one of each, a I2S hat dac (HiFiBerry DAC+), and an old Icon HDP. I will test it with the Icon later today.

P.
PeteB

Postby skfly » 02 Jun 2016, 16:58

Hi Pete,

thanks for your great support. I just concluded my test session with an alternate power supply. This did not make any difference, and the behavior described in my original post remains unchanged.

Thanks,
Stefan
skfly

Postby PeteB » 02 Jun 2016, 17:31

You are welcome. In any case this should not happen regardless of the cable or the DAC/amplifier. I can't test this until later today, after business hours, but I will give it a try then.

P.
PeteB

Postby hondagx35 » 02 Jun 2016, 18:03

Hi Stefan,

I think it has nothing to do with your DAC or the sequence you power down / up your gear.

Wait approx. 1 hour (with receiver powered off)

Does it also happen when you leave Rune and your DAC running for more than an hour?

What browser and OS are you using?
Do you connect with the IP or http://runeaudio?

Frank
hondagx35

Postby skfly » 02 Jun 2016, 21:31

Hi Frank,

this does not happen if I keep the entire system on, even after several hours everything works as expected.

I'm using different browsers (Safari 9.1.1 and Chrome 50.0.2661 on OS X 10.11.5, Chrome on Android 6.0.1), but this is definitely not a browser issue. As described, when the system is "not working", I can browse through the library and the current playlist (regardless of doing this in the browser session previously used or on a clean second browser), but as soon as I hit the "MPD Settings" or the "Debug" option, I will get the "Donut of Death" - having the load animation spinning without end. After this happens, there is no way to re-open e.g. the previously working playlist. In my opinion, calling one of the before mentioned options triggers something the system cannot cope with.

Edit: I open RuneAudio with "http://runeaudio.local/" on OS X and via IP address on Android. But this is definitely not the issue. It's the web application quitting at some point.

Regards,
Stefan
skfly

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Next

Return to Raspberry Pi