RuneAudio 0.5-beta for most Raspberry Pi models

Raspberry Pi related support

Re: RuneAudio 0.5-beta for most Raspberry Pi models

Postby janui » 25 Feb 2019, 18:15

Hi alecs123,
You seem to be having very strange problems. These are generally associated with a bad power supply, a bad image download, a bad SD Card flash or a bad SD card. Try eliminating potential problems. So check the SHA-256 checksums of your download and image. If you can use an alternative power supply, try it. You could also try removing dongles and USB devices to reduce power needs.
The -0 version works fine, but is very slow booting and it needs an internet connection. You should upgrade with git pull as soon as you can, this will upgrade it to patch level -9. The upgrade will fix lots of small problems, make booting faster and eliminate the need for an active internet connection. Don't forget to reboot after the git pull, this is very important.
janui
janui

Postby alecs123 » 25 Feb 2019, 19:29

janui wrote:Hi alecs123,
You seem to be having very strange problems. These are generally associated with a bad power supply, a bad image download, a bad SD Card flash or a bad SD card. Try eliminating potential problems. So check the SHA-256 checksums of your download and image. If you can use an alternative power supply, try it. You could also try removing dongles and USB devices to reduce power needs.
The -0 version works fine, but is very slow booting and it needs an internet connection. You should upgrade with git pull as soon as you can, this will upgrade it to patch level -9. The upgrade will fix lots of small problems, make booting faster and eliminate the need for an active internet connection. Don't forget to reboot after the git pull, this is very important.
janui

Thanks for the guidance... I was thinking as well the power supply is working bad, it's the original one since I got the RbPi3...will look for an alternative. I did the git-pull and I'm, now on -9 version.
I don't have any USB dongle but I use an external DAC via USB with its own linear power supply.
I can tell right out of the install that -9 is much faster and responsive. My SDcard is fairly new Class 10 16GB so I don't think that's the problem.
will post any other issue if I find one.
Thanks again...
alecs123

Postby alecs123 » 26 Feb 2019, 02:35

alecs123 wrote:
janui

Thanks for the guidance... I was thinking as well the power supply is working bad, it's the original one since I got the RbPi3...will look for an alternative. I did the git-pull and I'm, now on -9 version.
I don't have any USB dongle but I use an external DAC via USB with its own linear power supply.
I can tell right out of the install that -9 is much faster and responsive. My SDcard is fairly new Class 10 16GB so I don't think that's the problem.
Thanks again...

Happy to report that git-pull seemed to resolve all problems I was having. Really don't know how I ended with version -0 before upgrading today
alecs123

Postby vennesch » 28 Feb 2019, 12:45

Hello,

I freshly installed RuneAudio 0.5 and upgraded to build 9. Everytime I listen to webradio my RPI 3B starts to throttle (thermometer) after a while. Even though I have applied some heatsinks. It is kinda weird that it starts heating, even with full hd streeming in Libreelec I hand't any problem.

Hardware: RPI 3B + Hifiberry DACplus + heatsinks, hooked up to TV with via HDMI (local browser is on) & via RCA to receiver

Software: Rune 0.5 / 9, no modifications, webradio via WiFi

Ideas? Thanks in advance
vennesch

Postby janui » 28 Feb 2019, 15:48

Hi vennesch,
vennesch wrote:...I freshly installed RuneAudio 0.5 and upgraded to build 9. Everytime I listen to webradio my RPI 3B starts to throttle (thermometer) after a while. Even though I have applied some heatsinks...
You could try switching turbo OFF in /boot/config.txt, or setting the clock rate of the cpu slower (also in /boot/config.txt). The Pi3B has much more CPU power than Rune normally needs. There are advantages and disadvantages in switching turbo OFF and/or running the CPU at a lower clock rate. You can find these subjects on internet and in the forum.
The file /boot/config.txt can be modified via SSH or by plugging your Micro-SD card into a PC. To switch turbo OFF change this line:
Code: Select all
force_turbo=1
To this:
Code: Select all
force_turbo=0
This is safe, but the cpu will then slow down and speed up as required, which may have an effect on the sound quality. What makes the choice complex is that heat can also introduce noise which can impact the sound quality.
For the CPU clock speed you need to know what you are doing, see this blog post for example settings for a Pi 3B: http://archimago.blogspot.com/2017/01/m ... s-usb.html
I would advise you to verify these settings from a second source before you use them. They should be specifically for the Pi 3B, other models need different settings.
janui
janui

Postby alecs123 » 28 Feb 2019, 17:16

alecs123 wrote:
alecs123 wrote:
janui

Thanks again...

Happy to report that git-pull seemed to resolve all problems I was having. Really don't know how I ended with version -0 before upgrading today

Janui, you were right on! tracked the problem to a faulty power supply... changed to another from an old Asus tablet with more power than what original has and ever since, no random reboots and stable performance. Thanks
alecs123

Postby vennesch » 28 Feb 2019, 19:43

Thanks for your fast reply Janui. Another strange thing going on: before I chose to do a fresh install I had Build 7 installed and my development menu was messed up. Now I have everything how I want it again and the same thing is going on. See attachement.

I have tried to do a Git Pull on both versions in the terminal but both times it results in failure.
In 7 it was something like: no such file or directory (it was something else but can't recall it exactly)
Now it is: Updating 565826d..a4402e8
error: Your local changes to the following files would be overwritten by merge:
app/libs/runeaudio.php
app/templates/mpd.php
Please commit your changes or stash them before you merge.
Aborting

For now I am on build 9 and everything works great but it would be nice to know that I could simply update instead of performing a fresh installation each time.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Furthermore:
I am using a 32GB fast micro sd (quite new, 3 months old, completely cleaned)
Only thing I have changed after my first Git Pull is installed the UI add on (which is up to date)

1.png
1.png (138.38 KiB) Viewed 1727 times
Attachments
DEBUG.rtfd.zip
(22.93 KiB) Downloaded 265 times
vennesch

Postby janui » 28 Feb 2019, 21:29

Hi vennesch,
vennesch wrote:...Thanks for your fast reply Janui. Another strange thing going on: before I chose to do a fresh install I had Build 7 installed and my development menu was messed up. Now I have everything how I want it again and the same thing is going on...
I see that you have Rern's addons installed. Could you test again afrer removing them, please post any problems which persist.
janui
janui

Postby vennesch » 28 Feb 2019, 21:47

I tried your suggestion Janui.

Just uninstalled them using "uninstall_addo.sh" via terminal. Rebooted and same thing happening in development section.

I could make a screenshot but it will look the same as previously posted.

I don't get it....

Edit: also tried Rern uninstall via development section, same result
Edit 2: Solved it running "git stash" (no idea what that is :-)) before running "git pull". Updated to build 10 now and everything is working fine!

P.S. is this the latest build for 0.5b? I saw some packages from 0.6b already in the terminal:
a4402e8..0f8e0e8 0.5b -> origin/0.5b
affe6e9..32f3267 0.5b-dev -> origin/0.5b-dev
bcac2db..669ca78 0.6b -> origin/0.6b

If I may ask. What improvements can we expect?

Keep up the good work! :!:
vennesch

Postby vennesch » 01 Mar 2019, 14:05

janui wrote:Hi vennesch,
vennesch wrote:...I freshly installed RuneAudio 0.5 and upgraded to build 9. Everytime I listen to webradio my RPI 3B starts to throttle (thermometer) after a while. Even though I have applied some heatsinks...
You could try switching turbo OFF in /boot/config.txt, or setting the clock rate of the cpu slower (also in /boot/config.txt). The Pi3B has much more CPU power than Rune normally needs.
janui

In the meantime I tried your solution to my heating/throtling problem.
I notice that the overheating only happens in the playback sceen (with the simulated webradio visible).
Could it be a GPU issue (my thougts were: CPU works harder to perform graphical tasks as the GPU is set to 16 in the standard config)?
I tried already to set GPU from 16 to 128 but no result.

Thanks in advance

Edit: it is defininetly not a GPU setting, tried all the other numbers.
vennesch

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

PreviousNext

Return to Raspberry Pi