Rune support for Digi+pro

Raspberry Pi related support

Rune support for Digi+pro

Postby MichaelL » 09 Oct 2016, 20:18

Last week I put together a new Rpi3 and Digi+pro board.
It appears that Rune does not support this new board from HiFiBerry and consequently I have no output.
Hifi Berry gives instructions for the new board - https://support.hifiberry.com/hc/en-us/ ... /210788909
This is my first foray into Rpi and Rune but I have received feedback on my post to their forum - Quote
...you need to contact the Rune audio developers and check if they already have a new image with an updated kernel. As Rune isn't based on Raspbian, updating the kernel with the normal Raspbian tools might break the system.

Michael
MichaelL

Re: Rune support for Digi+pro

Postby hondagx35 » 09 Oct 2016, 21:32

Hi Michael,

welcome to Rune Audio.

...you need to contact the Rune audio developers and check if they already have a new image with an updated kernel.

Sorry, but we have no new image.

You can try this:
Prepare your system

If your system is already configured to use a HiFiBerry sound card, there might be an entry in config.txt already. As the Digi+ Pro has the configuration included in the onboard flash chip, you don't need this. Remove all dtoverlay=hifiberry-... lines from the file /boot/config.txt

I wouldn't remove them, but would comment all out (add # in front).

The kernel can be updated as described here.

Edit:
Maybe you have to skip the step
* add "dtparam=audio=on" to your /boot/config.txt

Please report!

Frank
hondagx35

Postby MichaelL » 10 Oct 2016, 22:15

It's a slightly disappointing response in view of the statement on your 'About' page - quote
Take an inexpensive, silent and low-consumption mini-PC and make it perform as an high fidelity digital source.
Well the new HiFiBerry Digi+pro board will be the 'must have' item for anyone using an external DAC i.e. the majority.
It would be great to know that said Hifi enthusiasts will be able to use Rune without poking around in software especially when the majority probably have no programming knowledge like myself.
MichaelL

Postby KHatfull » 11 Oct 2016, 02:15

MichaelL wrote:It's a slightly disappointing response in view of the statement on your 'About' page - quote
Take an inexpensive, silent and low-consumption mini-PC and make it perform as an high fidelity digital source.
Well the new HiFiBerry Digi+pro board will be the 'must have' item for anyone using an external DAC i.e. the majority.
It would be great to know that said Hifi enthusiasts will be able to use Rune without poking around in software especially when the majority probably have no programming knowledge like myself.

You should know the developers are working very hard on the next version of RuneAudio and are very close to having the next version ready.

When working on a new version at some point you have to stop including new features and changing "the guts" in order to get the software stable and ready for public consumption. Given you just joined the forum just a shade over 24 hours ago I wouldnt expect you to know that a new release was very close, unless you had taken the time to check things out before posting (hint). At some point the line in the coding sand has to be drawn and I suspect that given the Digi+ Pro has only been available for a few weeks that the line got drawn before its general availability.

I run a Digi+ (non Pro) going to an Audio-GD NOS1704 DAC. It works famously, as does RuneAudio in general. A little patience will likely be well rewarded in your case with the new Digi+ Pro. In fact, I might upgrade as well. I suspect supporting a board as popular as it certainly will be will be high on the list of things to do after the next release of RuneAudio hits the street.

A more general comment: NONE of these Linux-based audio players designed for Raspberry Pis and other similar SBCs are going to ever be totally plug and play, especially if you want to be on the leading edge of the most recent hardware, as you are in your case. If you need that sort of plug and play functionality without getting your hands at least a little dirty get a Sonos or any of the myriad of self-contained hardware devices that can do the same thing, but be a nice sealed box requiring little thought or effort.

Nobody asked you to program. With a little research and a slightly open mind you might learn to SSH to your Pi and change a few configuration files as indicated by Frank and the link(s) he referenced. If you can follow instructions well, none of this is more complicated than editing a document in Word, or typing a diparaging forum post.

Also don't forget, the folks who code this awesome FREE player for you do it for nearly nothing in return aside from personal satisfaction and the occasional monetary donation for what probably amounts to beer money by those of us who are grateful for their efforts.

Good luck!
Synology DS214+ -> RP3 -> Hifiberry Digi+ -> Audio-Gd NOS1704 (coax) -> Audio-GD C-2 preamp/headphone amp ->

1) Yamaha M-4 Power Amp -> Energy Pro 22 Speakers OR 2) HiFiMan HE-400i

Audio Nirvana!!!
KHatfull

Postby hondagx35 » 11 Oct 2016, 06:14

Hi MichaelL,

did you read the description on the Hifiberry website before buying?
Due to the changed clock design a new driver is needed, the Digi+ Pro won’t work with the existing Digi+ driver. To ensure everything works perfectly we will start a public beta test. You can order the new Digi+ Pro at a reduced price of €29.90/US$34.90/GBP 26.90. The official recommended retail price of the board will be €39.90/US$44.90/GBP37.90.
However, we require that you help us testing. To do this, you need to be able to:

upgrade the Linux kernel using command line tools (we will provide the commands) and
do some command-line debugging if necessary

We can’t guarantee that the Digi+ Pro will work with a specific distribution. It should be relatively easy to update the system if it is a Raspbian-based system (e.g. Max2Play, Volumio, …). Kernel upgrades won’t work on extremely stripped-down distributions like PiCorePlayer, OpenElec or LibreElec.

Our money-back guarantee applies also to beta-testers. So if the board isn’t working as expected, you can return it to us and get your money back.

We expect that most distributions will upgrade their kernels in the next few months and the Digi+ Pro will work without any patches in most distributions soon. We will support all software developers to integrate full support for the Digi+ Pro in their distributions.

@KHatfull
Thank you for the statement.

Frank
hondagx35

Postby KHatfull » 11 Oct 2016, 07:17

hondagx35 wrote:Hi MichaelL,

did you read the description on the Hifiberry website before buying?
Due to the changed clock design a new driver is needed, the Digi+ Pro won’t work with the existing Digi+ driver. To ensure everything works perfectly we will start a public beta test.

@KHatfull
Thank you for the statement.

Frank

Well, if that isn't the very example of the need to RTFM. "Public beta test..." Classic.

Anyway...

I did the kernel update that Frank proposed in his first post, my kernel version is 4.4.23.

The HiFiBerry support page for the Digi+ Pro (https://support.hifiberry.com/hc/en-us/ ... /210788909) states:

The kernel version should be at least 4.4.19.

Shame I can't order one (they're out of stock) or I would to test it. Does anyone have one that isn't yet willing to "hack" their Pi?

@hondagx35
You're welcome. Some of us actually do get it.
Synology DS214+ -> RP3 -> Hifiberry Digi+ -> Audio-Gd NOS1704 (coax) -> Audio-GD C-2 preamp/headphone amp ->

1) Yamaha M-4 Power Amp -> Energy Pro 22 Speakers OR 2) HiFiMan HE-400i

Audio Nirvana!!!
KHatfull

Postby MichaelL » 11 Oct 2016, 09:32

This is actually my first foray into the world of RPi and being newly retired with the benefit of free time I planned to learn the basics of programming so that I could experiment with different peripherals with future RPi/Ardruino purchases.
A friend told me he had changed from Digi+ to Digi+pro and I assumed this would indeed be plug and play. It may be that he was using other software.
It is well known that contributors to these forums assume some level of prior basic knowledge when suggesting fixes. I encountered this with Squeezebox problems. I am a little frustrated in not being able to use the new toy especially as my LMS on the Mac has screwed up yet again, but following the guidance here I will have a go. Hopefully once it's sorted it will be more reliable than LMS has been for me.
Many thanks for your help. If anyone could guide me towards resources for learning to program I would be grateful.
MichaelL

Postby Surson » 20 Dec 2016, 11:35

Hi,

Does anybody succeed to make the Digi+ pro board working with Runeaudio? Is there a significant improvement in sound quality compare to the Digi+ board?

Thanks.
Surson

Postby dynobot » 22 Dec 2016, 13:12

Yes I have both the Digi+ and the Digi+ Pro

All you need to do is update the Kernel. The instructions are around this board somewhere I found and followed them with no problems.

Once the Kernel has been updated you can do a aplay -l and you will see the "Pro" show up in the list.

Sound wise the Pro is smoother and silkier. I purchased a BNC connector and have used it as well.....no difference in SQ from regular coax.

Hope that helps
dynobot

Postby dynobot » 22 Dec 2016, 13:18

dynobot

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Next

Return to Raspberry Pi