Rune 0.4 Beta Rocks!

Raspberry Pi related support

Rune 0.4 Beta Rocks!

Postby thisisjay » 31 Mar 2017, 04:11

Rune was starting to fall behind Volumio and Moode, but I would consider Rune to be in first place as of this version. Here is what I like .vs the others:

-Fastest boot time. From the time I click restart until I have an active session again seems to be about 15 seconds. That's even using wireless.

-Wireless works great! Connects the first time every time and stays connected forever. The reception is great too. Volumio kept dropping the wireless connection and or it would be very slow with part of the interface missing intermittently. I can even stream music using WiFi with no dropouts in Rune.

-Volume control. My son has a DAC with a headphone amplifier and the volume control from his phone is nearly perfect. The buttons go in single steps without glitching or hanging and the rotary volume control works well too. Something that Volumio and Mode both struggle with. I have volume disabled on mine because it goes straight to an integrated amp.

-Great sound quality. Everything sounds more present with great bass response. Good highs and very natural sounding.

I see all of these people posting issues. Just wanted to point out what was right.

One question. Every version of Rune appears to be a beta. If 0.4 is available then why is the newest version in the download section 0.3?
thisisjay

Re: Rune 0.4 Beta Rocks!

Postby hondagx35 » 31 Mar 2017, 10:39

Hi thisisjay,

great to hear that you like it.
Thank you for posting this.

One question. Every version of Rune appears to be a beta. If 0.4 is available then why is the newest version in the download section 0.3?

Good question. The 0.4 beta image was made to fulfill my own needs and wasn't planned as an official release.
I'm about to update the other images (ODROID, RP1 etc.) as well and then make them available on the download section.

Frank
hondagx35

Postby HK_sends » 03 Apr 2017, 18:16

Please forgive me if I've hijacked this thread...

I'm brand new to Rune and stumbled upon your 0.4 beta for my Raspberry Pi 3B and I think it is an excellent build (Yes, it Rocks!). I do have one niggle and a couple of questions (Full Disclosure - Source: Pi 3B; DAC: X5 Gen 2; Amp Schiit Mjolnir 2);

- Sometimes, when I start a track, it plays very fast, sounding like Alvin and the Chipmunks on crack. I can pause the track and hit play or restart the track and then it plays normally. It almost always occurs only for the first track that I play and usually doesn't reappear during the same listening session. Is there a fix or workaround?

- I'm new to the whole Linux-based application builds. Are you still updating 0.4 since you originally posted the 0229 build? If so, could you please help me understand how I can update it? I'd appreciate any references, pointers, guides, or advice that you have to offer!

I got spoiled immediately with the 0.4 beta build (I never tried 0.3)...I'd love to see it taken further!

Cheers and Thanks!
-HK sends

P.S. - Everything that Thisisjay posted about 0.4 beta is spot on! I guess that's why I got spoiled on it! :)
HK_sends

Postby hondagx35 » 03 Apr 2017, 21:52

Hello HK_sends,

welcome to Rune Audio.

Sometimes, when I start a track, it plays very fast, sounding like Alvin and the Chipmunks on crack.

I never heard something about such issues but i think it is your DAC in combination with the linux driver.

Are you still updating 0.4 since you originally posted the 0229 build?

An official image will come soon and it will get updates in the future.

Frank
hondagx35

Postby HK_sends » 03 Apr 2017, 23:35

hondagx35 wrote:Hello HK_sends,

welcome to Rune Audio.

Sometimes, when I start a track, it plays very fast, sounding like Alvin and the Chipmunks on crack.

I never heard something about such issues but i think it is your DAC in combination with the linux driver.

Are you still updating 0.4 since you originally posted the 0229 build?

An official image will come soon and it will get updates in the future.

Frank

Thanks for the info! I plan to change the DAC to something more suitable when I get the chance.
And I am definitely looking forward to the Official Image!

Cheers and All the Best!
-HK sends
HK_sends

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Raspberry Pi