RPI2 v1.2 runeaudio don't launch

Raspberry Pi related support

RPI2 v1.2 runeaudio don't launch

Postby telecofr » 01 Jan 2017, 10:19

Hello
Happy new year !

I buy the new rpi2 v1.2 and I download RuneAudio_rpi2_rp3_0.4-beta_20160321_2GB.img, but when I supply the rpi, runeaudio don't launch...

Can you modify your software to be suitable with the new rpi2 v1.2 ?

thank you
telecofr

Re: RPI2 v1.2 runeaudio don't launch

Postby Techwiz » 28 Jan 2017, 05:20

I too have encountered this issue. I'm running a RaspberryPi 2B v1.2 with a clean image of Runeaudio "RuneAudio_rpi2_rp3_0.4-beta_20160321_2GB.img.gz". Similar to telecofr my rPi would not boot. From recent experience I found that replacing all four *.elf files in the root directory with the *.elf files from a clean Raspbian image got my rPi to boot. However Runeaudio is unusable.

My observations once the four *.elf files were replaced:
- I get through the rainbow boot screen no problem
- I get to the logon prompt and can login with the default credentials as long as I do it promptly
- If I wait to logon until the green activity light comes on again, the console is unresponsive until I cycle the power
- Once logged on, I can execute commands until the green activity lights comes on and then the console is again unresponsive until I cycle the power
- The webpage served up runeaudio never completely loads, it always has the "busy" spinning circles
- I did let it sit with the solid green activity light for 30+ min and eventually the activity light turned off. I was able to get the webpage to load once and seemed to respond to playlist changes and commands from Bubble UPnP on my Android device, but very shortly thereafter the green activity light came on and the webpage stopped responding. After this point any commands sent my Bubble UPnP "timed-out" and runeaudio did nothing.

From AdaFruit:
The processor has completely changed on the new RaspberryPi 2 v1.2, instead of an ARM v6 core chip (arm6l) or ARM v7, the BCM2836 has been upgraded to a BCM2837 (ARM Cortex-A53) core. However, your existing Raspberry Pi SD card images may not work because the firmware and kernel must be recompiled/adapted for the new processor.
https://www.adafruit.com/product/2358

Many thanks to the developers for the pre-assembled images. The variations in the rPi boards not doubt create quite a support headache!

I have some experience working with various Linux distributions. Is there a how-to on recompiling the runeaudio distribution for a new processor? I've looked through the documentation and these specifics have escaped me. Again, thank you to the developers for their time!

...edit
So, it pays to read all the details for each Runeaudio "certified devices" (which I did not fully do). My device (rPi 2B v1.2, BCM2837, ARM Cortex-A53) is not supported. Only the rPi 2B, BCM2836, ARM Cortex-A7 is supported. The key distinction was the processor identifier (BCM2836, ARM Cortex-A7).

Apologies for wasting space. Hopefully others will find this information and not fall into the same error.

Relevant Links...
http://www.runeaudio.com/certified-devices/#Raspberry-Pi-2
http://www.runeaudio.com/forum/rune-doesn-t-boot-others-do-t4241-10.html (appears thedman! may have had the same issue)
https://www.adafruit.com/products/2358 (read the "please note" section)
http://raspi.tv/2016/new-raspberry-pi-2b-1-2-with-pi3-bcm2837-processor (additional details on the processor switch)
Techwiz

Postby hondagx35 » 28 Jan 2017, 11:25

Hi Techwiz,

i am working on a new RP2 V1.2 compatible image.

The only thing you have to do is to update kernel and firmware.
- Get a RP2/RP3 and boot rune.
- update kernel and firmware
- boot your Pi2 (V1.2) with your updated SD card.

Or you can copy the new kernel to your SD card using a PC / Pi running linux.

Frank
hondagx35

Postby Techwiz » 28 Jan 2017, 21:34

Frank,

Thank you for the prompt reply. I've downloaded the kernel file you posted and have had slightly more success. Still running into the issue of the green activity light eventually coming on solid and the software stop responding. I'll post more details later once I have a chance to more thoroughly try things out.

Regards,
Techwiz
Techwiz

Postby Techwiz » 30 Jan 2017, 04:23

Frank,

I've been able to spend more time working with the "kernel.zip" file you linked... When I replace the existing "kernel7.img" from the "RuneAudio_rpi2_rp3_0.4-beta_20160321_2GB.img.gz" image my rPi won't even show the rainbow screen.

So, starting again with a clean "RuneAudio_rpi2_rp3_0.4-beta_20160321_2GB.img.gz" image on my sd card and replacing the "start.elf" file in the boot partition with the one from the latest raspbian, my rPi will boot and the services start loading (I get a 30sec or so delay from when the initial logon prompt appears over HDMI to when SSH becomes available, is this expected?).

Next I tried copying over all the files from the "/usr" folder from the "kernel.zip" file you linked. My rPi still will boot, but I keep running into the same issue of the SSH terminal becoming exponentially laggy (commands take FOR EVER to run) and the green activity light is on solid. So, next I tried copying over everything *but* the new "kernel7.img" from the "/boot" directory into the boot partition of my sd card. Same outcome... my rPi succesfully boots, takes ~30sec to be able to SSH and then things grind to a halt as the green activity light is on solid.

So, I've been able to copy over all the files except the "kernel7.img" from the "kernel.zip" and still have my rPi boot. Still get the same outcome... takes ~30 sec for SSH to become available, then the green activity light comes back on and stays on solid until I unplug the rPi, and commands in SSH take a huge amount of time to run (example: running "ps -A" takes several minutes to return the list of processes).

After letting my rPi run for 10 or so minutes here is a list of processes with non-zero CPU times...
Code: Select all
PID TTY          TIME CMD
    1 ?        00:00:07 systemd
   51 ?        00:01:45 kswapd0     <<-----!!!
  107 ?        00:00:28 mmcqd/0
  130 ?        00:00:01 systemd-journal
  207 ?        00:00:01 sh
  353 ?        00:00:05 redis-server
  367 ?        00:00:02 ntpd
  373 ?        00:00:01 sshd
  388 ?        00:00:03 rune_SY_wrk
  393 ?        00:00:03 rune_PL_wrk
  447 ?        00:00:01 nmbd
  489 ?        00:00:04 mpd
  543 ?        00:00:01 php-fpm
  865 pts/0    00:00:01 ps

Using Google...
mmcqd - sd card I/O thread
kswapd - virtual memory manager

Appears I've run completely out of RAM and the SD card is getting throttled by the virtual memory manager. Not good...
Techwiz

Postby thedman! » 04 Feb 2017, 22:44

This is the same problem I had/have. Unfortunately am virtually a novice so can offer no help at all. I monitor these forums reasonably regularly in the hope it will be fixed. I'm in no rush... but rune is amazing, I can't believe I fried my pi3 and then got an unsupported 2. As soon as a fix is found I'll be using it!
thedman!

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Raspberry Pi