Rasberry Pi A - which DAC can I use.

Raspberry Pi related support

Rasberry Pi A - which DAC can I use.

Postby Harry_Worth » 25 Nov 2018, 17:40

I have an old Rasberry Pi A (I think) and would like to dust it down and use it to provide internet radio and music streamed from a NAS to give new life to my old HiFi amplifier. Is there a DAC compatible with it so I can use the Rune OS or do I need to invest in a new Rasberry Pi. Apologies in advance if this question has been asked many times before. I have tried to research but with little success.
Harry_Worth

Re: Rasberry Pi A - which DAC can I use.

Postby janui » 25 Nov 2018, 18:59

Hi Harry_Worth,
I would first download the software to try it. It should play without problems on a Pi A, but the user interface will be slow, maybe too slow.
Use the PI1 image from this post: runeaudio-0-5-beta-for-all-raspberry-pi-models-t6532.html#p25819
You will need to organise a wired network connection to set it up (USB to Ethernet connector).
Personally, I would not want to spend too much on a DAC for the old Pi model. This is because its connectors (GPIO) are not compatable with the newer models. So, if you think it is worth it see here for a DAC: hifi-boad-for-old-pi-b-model-t6628.html#p26470 Check your Pi A board for the connector holes.
If you are only planning to use it for Webradio then maybe an even simpler DAC would be sufficient, search on ebay for 'DAC PCM5102 GY'. The one with the purple circuit board is the one to go for, should cost about $3,=. Again, you will need to do some soldering to get it to work.
For the Pi A+ model all modern DAC's will work. Check your Pi circuit board, it is clearly marked.
janui
janui

Postby Harry_Worth » 26 Nov 2018, 08:24

Hi,
Many thanks for the reply - I've done a bit more research on the web. I've compared to an image of a B on the internet and it is identical. Is the B any more useful?
Harry_Worth

Postby janui » 26 Nov 2018, 15:13

HI Harry_Worth,
Yes, a model B is better. It has a on-board network connection, that makes things easier. You should still try the software first, the main question is weather the performance is acceptable for you.
janui
janui

Postby Harry_Worth » 30 Nov 2018, 15:08

Hi, I have the Rune OS installed and can see it on the network although it's refusing to connect via WiFi (23% strength). I select my network and enter the password but it reverts to scanning for networks. Been through the loop a few times with no success. interface seems to be OK and I can see my NAS music files. All I need is a DAC now and ideally WiFi working.
Harry_Worth

Postby R101 » 30 Nov 2018, 15:48

Harry_Worth,

If you are using 0.5 with an Edimax USB wifi dongle, or one which uses the same chipset, you need to add two files to /etc/modprobe.d

blacklist-rtl8xxxu.conf containing the line
Code: Select all
blacklist rtl8xxxu

blacklist-rtl8192cu.conf containing the line
Code: Select all
blacklist rtl8192cu

Apparently, the later kernel is compiled with three different drivers for this chipset, and you have to blacklist the ones which do not work properly. Earlier Rune versions have an older kernel version, which does not have the problem.
(Pi 3B, rAudio-1, JLS I2S over USB)
R101

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Raspberry Pi