WLAN not functioning RPi2 RA 0.3

Raspberry Pi related support

WLAN not functioning RPi2 RA 0.3

Postby blakewalk » 15 Feb 2018, 06:03

Greetings! After much fussing, and many long hours and days on the forums here and bashing away on SSH, I am giving in and sharing my logs for tips, ideas, and hopefully, a solution.

RPi 2 (08) with Kernel 4.1.20-1-ARCH.
RuneAudio unable to connect to WLAN, regardless of whether ethernet is connected or not. In RuneaudioGI, SSID appears sporadically, sometimes without lock symbol or radio waves symbol. Sometimes, no other neighbouring SSIDs are found at all. It connected to the WLAN once a few days ago, but when I removed the ethernet cable, the WLAN dropped and never returned since.

Have already done a stash/pull from git (14.02.2018).
Using FritzBox router with WPA/WPA2, SSID always visible. SSID has no special characters. Other devices functioning properly with DHCP.
Static IP not working either. Resetting parameters with the "static/dhcp switch" trick has no effect.
Have worked on the netctl profile via SSH (SSID = 'Sheepies'), incl. adding an ssid_scan, and trying different proto settings.

Debug Log here: https://pastebin.com/mr3v9VxV

Massively thankful for any suggestions you may have. Wishing you all a pleasant day.
blakewalk

Re: WLAN not functioning RPi2 RA 0.3

Postby hondagx35 » 15 Feb 2018, 10:28

Hi blakewalk,

RPi 2 (08) with Kernel 4.1.20-1-ARCH.

You have a RP3 and the onboard WiFi is used, right?

The onboard WiFi is not great at all.
Bring your device closer to your access point and it will work.

You can also try my latest test image from here.

Frank
hondagx35

Postby blakewalk » 18 Feb 2018, 13:03

Hello Frank, many thanks for your response. I really appreciate all the time and effort you put into developing and updating this programme. I'm definitely excited to get it working!

It is an RPi2 with onboard WiFi and a HiFiBerry DAC+ device.

I flashed your new 29.02.2017 test image, which does allow me to connect to WLAN initially.
But after I switch the I2S to DAC+, then Shutdown/Unplug Ethernet/Start Up, the WLAN settings disappear and it does not connect. If I re-enter the WLAN settings (SSID/WPA passkey), it still will not reconnect to the WLAN. It's the on-board WiFi card, and the RPi is directly next to the router.

If I restart from a new image (the 29.02.2017), it is fine again (until I change the I2S and unplug the Ethernet), so I've ruled out hardware as the problem. I've tried every possible combination of steps with this.

It seems that it can either run on WLAN or use the DAC+ controller, but never both simultaneously. I've put about 30 hours into this, digging through SSH, but cannot find any reason why this is happening. I've tried repartitioning the SD Card and pulling your kernel updates from git, but the problem persists.

Debug log after last boot (after unplugging Ethernet and changing to DAC+): https://pastebin.com/dF8rwkNY

Please let me know if you have any ideas, or if I missed something while searching through the forum. Much appreciated!
Cheers, Blake
blakewalk

Postby hondagx35 » 18 Feb 2018, 16:41

Hi Blake,

It is an RPi2 with onboard WiFi .....

A RP2 with onboard WiFi does not exist, only "RP3" and "RP Zero W" have WiFi.
RuneAudio treats your Ri3 as a version 2, but this is not related with your issue.

I tried this with my RP3 and the test image, all works like it should.

If I re-enter the WLAN settings (SSID/WPA passkey)

Is your SSID hidden?
I am asking because there is no need to enter the SSID, just select it from the list.

WiFi is implemented in this way:
- Rune tries to start all saved wifi profiles
- if one gets connected and an IP address is assigned it will be used
- if the Access Point feature is enabled and no IP is assigned to wlan0 the AP gets started with the stored settings.

Is the AP feature enabled?
If so, please try to disable it.
Sometimes it takes a while (to long) for your wifi connection to be established and to get an IP assigned.

Frank
hondagx35

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Raspberry Pi