Song titles displayed weird

Raspberry Pi related support

Song titles displayed weird

Postby olev » 21 Nov 2017, 20:05

Hello to all!
I am a total newbie in Runeaudio world -- just installed it on a Pi Model 1. All works nicely, but I have a language problem. It turns out that some (actually, most) song titles are displayed with hieroglyphs, and I even cannot say which set it is. See screenshot at
http://valorem.ee/Clipboard03.jpg
I tried to search this forum but could not find anything. Any ideas?
Thank you!
olev

Re: Song titles displayed weird

Postby hondagx35 » 21 Nov 2017, 21:53

Hi olev,

sorry but I don't have any access to RP1 at the moment.

You can try to set the correct locale for your country, please try this.
After setting the locale you should also rebuild your music library.

Frank
hondagx35

Postby olev » 23 Nov 2017, 21:17

Hello Frank,
thank you!
I set the locale and it now looks like this:
http://valorem.ee/Clipboard01.jpg
but the hieroglyphs still remain. I do not know what's in a .mp3 file, maybe there's the language specified?
olev

Postby janui » 23 Nov 2017, 21:51

Hi olev,
You could try mp3tag to see what is stored in the tags inside you mp3 music files, see here: audio-file-manipulation-tools-t4754.html#p21296 I see in your screenshot that some music is displayed 'normally'.
janui
janui

Postby olev » 24 Nov 2017, 19:42

Hello again,
the MP3 tags seem quite normal, as seen on
http://www.valorem.ee/Clipboard04.jpg
Also, VLC and Aimp3 (and Windows media player, for that matter) display song info correctly. Am confused :)
olev

Postby hondagx35 » 25 Nov 2017, 10:23

Hi olev,

from your pictures, it can be seen that the songs displayed correctly are not tagged at all.

I set the locale and it now looks like this:

Did you rebuild the library?

Frank
hondagx35

Postby olev » 25 Nov 2017, 19:34

Hi Frank,

thank you, I didn't notice the lack of tags in some files. So it seems that all tags are displayed in hieroglyphs.
But yes, I did rebuild the library.

Edit: some tags are displayed in Latin characters....
olev

Postby janui » 25 Nov 2017, 20:57

Hi olev,
Your last edit addition is importent. I suspect that one of your files has a tag containing an escape sequence which switches the character set. After MPD reads this sequence when building it's library all following entries are saved as hyrogrphics. To test this hide 50% of you files from MPD and rebuild the library. You can hide the files by changing their protection on your nas. Then try it again with the other 50%. If one set is good you have a solution.
You can then repeat this (recursivly) by using 50% of the bad set until you have found the one bad directory or file.
janui
janui

Postby olev » 26 Nov 2017, 22:46

Hello janui,
thank you for the advice.
I am experimenting on this now but it seems that the "hieroglyph case" is album-dependent. There are some albums that are always displayed in Latin and some that are always dispplayed in (Cinese, i think). And when I delete some first songs of a particular "Chinese" album, then the remained are still displayed in "Chinese".
BTW, in which order are the songs of a source played? I thought that it may be alphabetically ascending, but it defienitely is not the case. In my test source, the "album-free" songs are played first, followed by albums (e.g. Smokie, Boney M, and so on).
olev

Postby janui » 26 Nov 2017, 23:23

Hi olev,
I don't think the order in which songs are played is relevant, the order which MPD uses to build It's library is. I don't know how or why MPD reads files in a particular order. This is why I suggested the initial 50% 50% split. One set should be good (or at least significanly different) otherwise the escape sequence theory is busted.
Could you post your debug, it really helps.
janui
janui

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Next

Return to Raspberry Pi