Stream audio input

Raspberry Pi related support

Stream audio input

Postby richardhaupt » 14 Aug 2017, 20:58

Hi all

My apologies if this has been covered somewhere else - I did try to find answers first. Also, this is my first post.

I have downloaded and set up Rune on a Pi3 with no issues. However, I seek assistance with one additional issue:

I'd like to be able to input a 'line in' to the Pi and stream it on the other devices (eg: a radio). Is this something that can be done? I understand that there is no audio input functionality on the standard Pi, so I'd have to look at something like this: https://www.pishop.co.za/store/usb-audi ... put-dongle

Essentially the Pi unit will not be the audio output device, but rather a collection point for various media. The other network devices will be the output devices.

If anyone can assist I'd be grateful.

Thanks.
richardhaupt

Re: Stream audio input

Postby gaustabl » 03 Sep 2017, 17:38

Hello.
I have been hoping to get the same thing working, and using my ir remote to control the volume.
I have now used to many days trying to get this to work, whit out any luck.
Using Runeaudio i have got my remote working on the system (mpd) volume, but have not found any way to loop my audio from toslink input to toslink output (usb soundcard).

Using raspian and pulseaudio i was able to send thei toslink input to the toslink output usigg;

pactl load-module module-loopback source=alsa_input.usb-0d8c_USB_Sound_Device-00.analog-stereo sink=alsa_output.usb-0d8c_USB_Sound_Device-00.analog-stereo

But problem then was that i was not able to control volume using my ir remote.

So i join you in your search, and maybe someone can help us...

best regards Lars
gaustabl

Postby jahau » 07 Mar 2019, 11:29

Hi,

I know this is old thread but this is also exactly what I want. Input some audio from line in (HIFIBERRY DAC+) and stream that to anyone interested in the LAN.

Is rune audio suitable for this kind of setup or shall I continue looking something else? Thanks.

Any comments welcome!
jahau

Postby eea123 » 11 Mar 2019, 10:41

Good question and one I am not familiar with either since I'm using Rune as a traditional network player. It would seem that conversion of an analog source to a digital stream might be a chore depending on desired resolution / sampling depth. Wouldn't the fastest route would be start your own free streaming radio station (local LAN) and tune to it using webradio on RuneAudio? This article seems pretty old, but it appears that they use WinAmp as the front end for digitization, see https://www.pcworld.com/article/190705/ ... _free.html. How interactive of a DJ do you want and or need to be?
eea123

Postby janui » 11 Mar 2019, 13:36

Hi richardhaupt, gaustabl, jahau & eea123,
This looks interesting: https://www.hifiberry.com/shop/boards/h ... y-dac-adc/
The required drivers are unfortunately not available in the current RuneAudio kernel. Hopefully we will have an updated kernel shortly.
janui
janui

Postby eea123 » 14 Mar 2019, 11:29

janui wrote:Hi richardhaupt, gaustabl, jahau & eea123,
This looks interesting: https://www.hifiberry.com/shop/boards/h ... y-dac-adc/
The required drivers are unfortunately not available in the current RuneAudio kernel. Hopefully we will have an updated kernel shortly.
janui

Curious which "Library" source would you choose on the Rune frontend if one had that board installed and the updated drivers in a future Rune kernel? It still looks like there'd be some additional programming in Rune Audio to make it happen.

Since my Rune player resides in the same cabinet as my stereo system, I'm better off plugging in my CD player directly to my preamp than to digitizing it on the fly to Rune only to convert the same signal back thru the DAC to an analog input on the same preamp. I have a number of multichannel amps in the same cabinet powering speakers throughout the house, nothing is WiFi.

I'm not saying this is a bad enhancement. In fact it has peaked my curiosity in streaming a private radio station. I understand that the "traditional" method of private radio streaming involves a PC in addition to tuning the network player to that station for playback of the stream.
eea123

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Raspberry Pi