Pi3 and DAC+ Pro

Raspberry Pi related support

Re: Pi3 and DAC+ Pro

Postby jimmeuh » 03 Apr 2016, 16:37

Hi Frank

No, no improvents so far.
I Also didn't have the time to debug/test further.
jimmeuh

Postby jimmeuh » 07 Apr 2016, 09:16

Just to give you some feedback:

I restored the latest image yesterday because I was experiencing crashes of RuneAudio after the upgrade of the kernel.
Whenever I tried to play mp3's, the music stopped after a few seconds.
Flac files didn't had that problem.

So back to the "clean" image, wired connection, library mounted, everything plays fine.

I will try to test wifi this evening.
jimmeuh

Postby tobvc » 07 Apr 2016, 19:32

Hi everybody,

I've got the same hardware configuration (Pi 3 + Dac+ Pro) and I experience the same problem with runeaudio: as soon as the DAC is activated in the config.txt, wifi becomes unusable. Apart from that, rune is running smoothly, so I would be glad if I could contribute to the solution of this problem.

Has anyone tried if the problem also occurs using an external wifi dongle?

Tobi
tobvc

Postby jimmeuh » 07 Apr 2016, 20:31

OK thought to give it another shot..

Setup with a static ip on lan interface, playing fine.
I connect to my wlan, configure it with a static ip.
Lan cable disconnected and .... what?!... now it just works????

Reboots are fast, music plays fine.
Several reboots later, wifi still is connected and listening through it just fine.

Ok what did I do other then before?
A static ip on the LAN interface... where before I just used DHCP for the LAN (thought I only needed it for the setup, so why bother with a static)
I need to test more...
Will report back

Tobi > how are your interfaces setup?
jimmeuh

Postby jimmeuh » 07 Apr 2016, 20:33

Oh I just remember that I also activated the DACplus in the config file through windows with Notepad++
The other times I just user VI in an SSH session.

Don't think that this should be any difference, but I just mention it.
jimmeuh

Postby tobvc » 07 Apr 2016, 20:46

Hi jimmeuh,

thanks for your further testing. I will try to reproduce your results concerning the LAN interface asap. I have also used DHCP all the time up to now.

Tobi
tobvc

Postby tobvc » 08 Apr 2016, 10:42

Ok, I did some testing this morning. I can confirm your findings partly: With static IP on both interfaces I was able to connect to my wifi, but it took 10 to 15 tries until the green check apeared. Everything worked fine, even after one reboot. After another reboot, the Pi again refused to connect to wifi.

Tobi

Edit: After 5 more reboots, it works again. It seems that static IP makes it better in some way, but it is still not stable/usable.
tobvc

Postby jimmeuh » 08 Apr 2016, 11:08

Did you disconnect the LAN cable?

Forgot to mention that a continous ping to the LAN interface stopped getting replies after I activated the wireless connection.
I then disconnected the LAN interface since it wasn't working.
jimmeuh

Postby tobvc » 08 Apr 2016, 12:27

Yes LAN is disconnected.
Up to now, I had automatic wifi channel selction (ch. 1 - 11) on my AP activated. Set it to a fixed channel now, seems to be an improvement in stability. Even after some reboots it is still working. I will report if anything changes.

Tobi
tobvc

Postby tobvc » 09 Apr 2016, 11:50

Ok, with static IP and fixed wifi channel the connection is very stable it seems. :)

But now I have the following problem: Playing (16 bit) FLAC files from an USB flash drive, left and right channels swap every 30 to 60 seconds. I had this suspicion listening to music and I confirmed it with a modified file where I muted one channel.

Can anyone reproduce this problem?

Tobi

Edit: I made the following additional observations:
  • I could not reproduce the problem with 24 bit FLAC or mp3 files, but with 16 bit WAV files
  • channels swap once after 5 - 120 seconds and swap back after additional 5 -120 s, sometimes multiple times during a file
  • if I use the search bar when channels are swapped, it reverts to valid channels
  • using Shairport, it happens very often, sometimes multiple times in a second
tobvc

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

PreviousNext

Return to Raspberry Pi