Performance

Raspberry Pi related support

Re: Performance

Postby Midnight » 25 Feb 2014, 09:38

ACX wrote:I expect the playback of a uncompressed (and bigger) file to be more problematic than a compressed one on the Raspberry Pi when played from a NAS, because of its shared USB/Eth bus bandwidth limits. Are you playing from a network mount?

In my own experience with ARM devices the shared USB port for audio output and reading files is a problem. I've already used a Seagate Dockstar with USB DAC and USB hard disk. This results in low volume clicks and pops during playback. It did not happen very often (maybe once a minute) and can be heard at quiet music parts only. Most users probably won't even notice them.
I had similiar results with a Raspberry Pi and USB DAC. Maybe some kernel parameters can improve the situation but actually I think the hardware configuration with the shared USB is just not the right thing for a real HiFi device.
I've ordered a Hifiberry I2S DAC and hopefully this is the solution for the USB limitations.
Midnight

Postby ACX » 25 Feb 2014, 10:20

Midnight wrote:I've ordered a Hifiberry I2S DAC and hopefully this is the solution for the USB limitations.

I2S output on the Raspberry Pi is not affected by USB bus limitations, and playback never suffers from pops/cracks, even up to 24/192. Furthermore, Orion has already prepared a kernel profile to optimize the way it sounds in our environments. We will include it in the 0.3-beta as it seems to us an improvement over the stock settings of Arch Linux.
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

Postby Midnight » 25 Feb 2014, 10:29

Of course the I2S DAC has nothing to do with USB, but still all data is accessed via USB (ethernet, USB stick). This shouldn't be a problem though ;)
Midnight

Postby ACX » 25 Feb 2014, 14:39

Midnight wrote:Of course the I2S DAC has nothing to do with USB, but still all data is accessed via USB (ethernet, USB stick). This shouldn't be a problem though ;)

It isn't :) We are testing I2S output on the Raspberry Pi in these days and it works flawlessly.
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

Postby Midnight » 25 Feb 2014, 14:49

BTW: did you already compare the performance of Raspberry Pi to Beaglebone Black? For example how long it takes to create a music database from a directory. Or how responsive the runeUI is.
Just interested because the BBB CPU should be twice as fast as the RPi CPU.
Midnight

Postby ACX » 25 Feb 2014, 16:16

BeagleBone Black is quite faster than Raspberry Pi in almost every task, and does not have critical limits on the USB bus. If you don't need more than 1 USB port and you are going to use it via Ethernet, then the BBB is a very good performance/price option.
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Previous

Return to Raspberry Pi