Not connecting through wifi but is connecting with ethernet

Raspberry Pi related support

Not connecting through wifi but is connecting with ethernet

Postby tushar » 09 Jan 2016, 17:22

Hi people I am a beginner so please help me out with the problem I am having,
I have a router which has both wifi and ethernet port.
When I start the raspberry pi 2 the program works perfectly fine.
When I try to connect it using any wifi device it does not connect, but when i connect to it using ethernet it works perfectly fine.
Can anyone tell me what to do so that i can connect it using any wifi device.

router = D-link DSL-2750U
version of runeaudio = v0.3-beta
Raspberry pi 2 is connected through ethernet

THANK YOU IN advance :D
tushar

Re: Not connecting through wifi but is connecting with ether

Postby Cloth Ears » 09 Jan 2016, 21:27

I would hazard a guess that you cannot be connected to the pi by ethernet and wireless at the same time. Might that be the basis of the problem?
Cloth Ears

Postby hondagx35 » 10 Jan 2016, 12:34

Hi tushar,

welcome to RuneAudio.

When I try to connect it using any wifi device it does not connect, but when i connect to it using ethernet it works perfectly fine.

For me it's not clear what your problem is:
    * Would you like to use a wifi dongle instead of ethernet on your RaspberryPi to connect it to your router?
    * Or would you like to open the UI from a wifi device like a smartphone or tablet?

@ Cloth Ears:
I would hazard a guess that you cannot be connected to the pi by ethernet and wireless at the same time.

On all newer devices (RP2, ODROID and cubietruck) this works fine.
I have both (ethernet and wifi) enabled on all my devices.
The only problem with this setup is, that you can't use avahi/bonjour with it.
So you have to use the ip address instead of "http://runeaudio" or "http://runeaudio.local"

Technically the network management is done with "netctl":
- ethernet uses "netctl-ifplugd" => profiles are started/stopped when the network cable is plugged in and out
- wifi uses "netctl-auto" => profiles are started/stopped automatically as you move from the range of one network into the range of another network (roaming).

To get this working on the RP1 you have to switch to the development version (nightly builds).

Frank
hondagx35

Postby Tall Person » 07 Nov 2017, 21:05

I have a tplink 4220 powerline extender to take the wireless into the garage. I have two raspberry Pi, one in range of the main router and the other the powerline. If i am by the main router I can connect to either Pi using the reserved dhcp address i have set for each. If i move to the garage, the second wifi signal is picked up and I continue to see both Pi . If i then go back to within the main router wifi range, even though the ssid is the same, i am no longer able to connect to the remote Pi using the ip address. Yet I can return to the garage and it picks up the signal again. Any thoughts please?
-Raspberry Pi B rev 2, Hifiberry DAC
-Raspberry Pi Zero W, Hifiberry DAC, Runeaudio 0.4
Tall Person

Postby Ishiido » 26 Feb 2018, 14:40

I experience the same since the latest update of RuneAudio App for the smartphone.
When the Pi3 is connected by network cable it works immediately. If I disconnect the cable (or boot the Pi without cable) the connection from the remote control app fails. Though: it is possible to contact the application on the Pi by entering the IP adress of the Pi into the browser.

I did not see this behaviour before the update of the remote control app (that came some days ago).

Cheers,
Ishiido
Ishiido

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Raspberry Pi