Noob running from terminal

Raspberry Pi related support

Re: Noob running from terminal

Postby demonboy » 08 Dec 2017, 03:41

janui wrote:Hi demonboy,
You can use Pi B+ for a fully functional RuneAudio player. You have a choice of images, the official one here: http://www.runeaudio.com/download/#raspberry-pi and an unofficial upgraded version here: raspberry-pi-zero-support-in-0-4-t3711-80.html#p23506
The only important thing missing on the B+ image is the WiFi Access Point functionality.
The B+ UI performance if fine, but as you would expect it is a little slower than 2B and 3B models.
WiFi seems an interesting option, but it can be a problem when streaming (Spotify, webradios, AirPlay or UPnP/DLNA), it really depends on your situation but wired ethernet always works better.
The onboard Pi 3B WiFi is poor, an external dongle is better. So, you could buy one of these for experimenting with your B+.
For audio, the HDMI output of the B+ and the 3B are the same (video resolution is different).
All add-on (hat) soundcards for a 3B will also work on a B+.
There is a lot of choice these days for add-on soundcards, some need a recent kernel to work (that’s one of the main reasons for the upgraded image). Most of these are excellent and good value for money, it is a very competitive marketplace where you generally get what you pay for. My personal favourites are: "HifiberryDac+ 3.5mm jack model" - excellent quality, relatively low price and fits into most standard cases after drilling a small hole and the "HifiberryDac+ Pro" - see here http://archimago.blogspot.nl/2016/10/me ... berry.html for review/measurements, this needs a special case.
But there are many other products which can be simpler, have added features, etc., etc.. Be careful of buying Chinese sound cards on e-bay, these cards work and are cheap but can have disappointing sound quality (expect to get what you pay for).
janui

Thanks for the link, Janui. Yep, there are more and more DACs appearing every day and it gets a bit overwhelming! Unsure which one to go for. I emailed the top three manufacturers and only JustBoom came back to me. In fact they've been really good in answering my noob questions without pushing for a sale, so I'm tempted to run with these guys.
demonboy

Postby demonboy » 08 Dec 2017, 04:47

hondagx35 wrote:Hi demonboy,

Wifi profiles can be added manually (/etc/netctl/profile_name)

Code: Select all
    Interface=wlan0
    Connection=wireless
    Security=wpa-configsection
    AutoWired=yes
    ExcludeAuto=no
    IP=static
    Address=('192.168.1.14/24')
    Gateway='192.168.1.1'
    DNS=('8.8.8.8' '8.8.4.4')
    WPAConfigSection=(
        'ssid="XXX"'
        'psk="xxxxxxxxxx"'
        'key_mgmt=WPA-PSK'
        'proto=RSN'
        'group=CCMP'
        'pairwise=CCMP'
        'priority=3'
    )

- use nano as editor
nano /etc/netctl/MySSID

Frank

Thanks for that, Frank. Unfortunately the red light flashes on the Pi but the blue light on the wifi dongle is not on. It flashed briefly when logging in but I think it's supposed to flash intermittently to show it is connected. How can I check that Rune is connected to a network? Also, because I followed your instructions above I presume I should be able to hit RuneLocal in my browser by entering 192.168.1.14/24, right?
demonboy

Postby demonboy » 08 Dec 2017, 05:03

hondagx35 wrote:Hi demonboy,

Wifi profiles can be added manually (/etc/netctl/profile_name)

Interface=wlan0
    Connection=wireless
    AutoWired=yes
    ExcludeAuto=no
    IP=static
    Gateway='192.168.1.1'
    DNS=('8.8.8.8' '8.8.4.4')
    WPAConfigSection=(
        'ssid="XXX"'
        'psk="xxxxxxxxxx"'
        'key_mgmt=WPA-PSK'
        'proto=RSN'
        'group=CCMP'
        'pairwise=CCMP'
        'priority=3'
    )

- use nano as editor
nano /etc/netctl/MySSID

Frank

On second thoughts, Frank, don't waste any more of your time on this. I have a router on order so I think the best thing is to plug in the Pi to that via ethernet and start over. No doubt I'll be back with some more noob questions ;) Thanks for your help on this.
demonboy

Postby hondagx35 » 08 Dec 2017, 16:31

Hi demonboy,

This is only an example and it has to be adapted to your needs (your network).

I should be able to hit RuneLocal in my browser by entering 192.168.1.14/24, right?

No, the URL to enter should be 192.168.1.14 in this case.

If you like to use DHCP instead a static IP address try this:
Description='wlan0 connection'
Interface=wlan0
Connection=wireless
IP=dhcp
WPAConfigSection=(
    'ssid="your-SSID-goes-here"'
    'scan_ssid=1'
    'psk="your-key-goes-here"'
    'key_mgmt=WPA-PSK'