Newbie having problem with mounting network source

ODROID related support

Re: Newbie having problem with mounting network source

Postby colito » 04 Mar 2016, 21:48

Hi Frank

Thanks for taking time out to help me.

Yes I'd already watched the video and believe set up my music folder permissions as described. In properties for this folder I've assigned full control for user 'everyone' in share tab and full control for all listed users in the security tab. The share name of my music folder is 'Music'. I've then entered as follows:

Source Name: PC
Fileshare protocol: SMB/CIFS
IP address: as per that of my Win10 PC
Remote Directory: Music

i then hit 'save mount' and get the red cross next to 'PC'. I click on that and see error msg 'mount error(13): Permission denied Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)'

I'm thinking this shouldnt be so difficult, right?

Thanks,

Col
colito

Postby PeteB » 04 Mar 2016, 22:26

colito wrote:...I'm thinking this shouldnt be so difficult, right?...
No, it really shouldn't, but it's networking Windows and a Linux box... :mrgreen:

I would try a clean start with a new shared directory called something distinctive, like "Test", maybe on your Windows 7 laptop instead, and a new source in the RuneAudio UI, not editing the same one.

If you can't connect to a radio stream, I would first try to ping something like google.com, or bbc.com, from the RuneAudio console.
PeteB

Postby colito » 04 Mar 2016, 23:52

Thanks Pete - good suggestions. Will report back once I've tried them out.
colito

Postby colito » 05 Mar 2016, 10:07

So, created a folder called 'runetest' in C:\ folder on laptop and put some music in it. Changed all sharing & security permissions to full access for everyone. Tried to mount several times as new mount this time using IP address of laptop and trying numerous iterations of the folder name (network path in sharing tab is '\\CAZ-PC\Runetest') but same results as with PC, error 'mount error(13): Permission denied Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)'.

Re the webradio I dont know what you mean by ping google from the console.

Btw I have 2 x rpi2's running same version of RuneAudio and I have the same problems with both.
colito

Postby hondagx35 » 05 Mar 2016, 11:51

Hi colito,

your "Remote directory" then should be Runetest.

Some things to test:
- turn off guest access on MENU->Sources and enter a user and password (user on your windows10 pc)
- try to change the mpd user on MENU->Daemon user : group to root:root

You also mentioned that you have a NAS in your network.
Try to share a folder from there with NFS protokoll.

Frank
hondagx35

Postby colito » 05 Mar 2016, 14:25

Hey Frank

None of these options worked for me. I tried to share the router usb drive via my win10 machine but there is no 'share tab' for this folder. There is a security tab but I can't edit the permissions. Doesnt seem to be an issue though since I can browse this folder under 'network' in both PC, laptop & android phone. I don't know how to share a folder from there with NFS protocol but will research later & report back.

One other point - I just got my hands on a Raumfeld Connector 2 to try out. Once I had hooked this up to my network I was able to mount both my PC music folder and my router USB music folder without any issue. Would this confirm this isnt a network permissions issue?

Btw I really do appreciate all the hand holding here - I'm determined to get this working!

Thanks,

Col
colito

Postby PeteB » 05 Mar 2016, 18:10

colito wrote:...One other point - I just got my hands on a Raumfeld Connector 2 to try out. Once I had hooked this up to my network I was able to mount both my PC music folder and my router USB music folder without any issue. Would this confirm this isnt a network permissions issue?

Hmmm... From the documentation, this device uses a different protocol on your local (home) nework. DLNA/UPnP is different from Samba or NFS. This is from the Teufelaudio website:

The Connector can also access your personal music library via home network from
DLNA, UPnP or USB devices ...

I suspect this does not really help you, but it explains why that device can work without permissions being set.
PeteB

Postby colito » 06 Mar 2016, 15:45

OK so finally had a result! Managed to mount the router usb, although using SMB/CIFS rather than NFS. The 'trick' was the remote directory field is case sensitive so I tried entering as 'USB2' rather than 'usb2' as it appears when I browse to it in windows.

Have tried to mount the PC music folder by playing around with upper/lower case iterations. Still no joy there but at least we're up & running wirelessly!

Another reason i wanted to avoid the use of a drive connected directly to the pi is the sound quality out of the 3.5mm jack is terrible and I suspect this may be due to noise from other attached devices. I've tried a couple of different wireless adaptors and power supplies but can't seem to get rid of it. So a question I have is is this typical and if I were to invest in a hifiberry or similar dac would this solve that issue? After all one main point of this for me is to get as good a sound quality as possible on as low a budget as possible.
colito

Postby PeteB » 06 Mar 2016, 17:46

colito wrote:...the sound quality out of the 3.5mm jack is terrible and I suspect this may be due to noise from other attached devices. I've tried a couple of different wireless adaptors and power supplies but can't seem to get rid of it...

A good WiFi adapter and a solid power supply will always be a good investment if you are doing anything with your Pi that involves sound or an analog signal.

Unfortunately, you can't solve the problems with the 3.5 mm output that way. People have wasted huge amounts of time and money trying to improve or filter that output, and it just can't be done. At best you can change how it sounds, but you can't put back in what is not there at the source, which is inside the Broadcom chip.

https://www.reddit.com/r/raspberry_pi/comments/2yu3kd/rpi_2_poor_audio_quality/

For HiFi music, the sound quality at the 3.5 mm jack will always be poor compared to other options. The main reasons are the audio conversion method and noise from various sources.

The Pi uses the PWM conversion method (pulse-width-modulation) to produce the sound output at the 3.5mm jack. The implementation is pretty basic, and the quality is probably equivalent to ~10 bits at maximum volume. The distortion is pretty bad.

http://www.crazy-audio.com/2013/11/quality-of-the-raspberry-pi-onboard-sound/

Second, for audio purposes there is a lot of noise present on the Pi, starting with the power supply, the voltage regulators, the PWM circuit, and on from there. This results in a really poor SNR (signal-to-noise-ratio) when the 3.5 mm jack is used as a line output.

By comparison I2S and USB DACs usually use a separate dac chip, a separate voltage regulator, and other tricks to keep the noise down.
PeteB

Postby colito » 07 Mar 2016, 14:12

Thanks PeteB - some interesting reading there.

To start with I'm gonna have a try with the PCM2704 card mentioned in one of those links. For around £4 (ebay) it looks like a no brainer and if it works well I will then spend the extra on a Hifiberry DAC (plus a small donation to the runeaudio project of course :D). The cheaper one can then be used in my kitchen set up.

Thanks again - greatly appreciate the support.
colito

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

PreviousNext

Return to ODROID