nd num of network mounts (1) when zero network mounts exist

Raspberry Pi related support

nd num of network mounts (1) when zero network mounts exist

Postby iamjohngalt » 26 Mar 2018, 22:33

I just started using rune yesterday so excuse unfamiliarity please.
I am using it on a Rasp Pi 3 with an audio hat that works as a HiFiBerry DAC+ specified.
I linked to a network folder (mounted) and it worked, showing 1 mount.
It updated the contents, music would play, and all seemed fine.
Today I mounted another folder and rune apparently did not read the files although it said the mount was added and it appeared on Browse library.
Before I realized there was a problem, I added a third mount and it was accepted but did not appear in the Browse library.
After a few minutes of zero progress on the browse library for the new mounts (2nd mount showed one folder and no audio files shown-should have been dozens of folders) and the 3rd mount didn't appear at all, I rebooted rune hoping it was stuck in a loop and would proceed after a reboot.
No joy. Nothing appeared to be read although rune claimed to be updating.
So I deleted all the mounts and rune still thinks it has 1 mount on the Browse your library page.
As a newbie I am at a loss on how to get rune working correctly again with the correct number of mounts.
It appears that the database is unable to reset to the correct number of mounts. I speculate that on the 3rd mount It apparently advanced the counter and didn't add the mount.

I'd appreciate suggestions on how to get rune doing its job correctly again (hopefully without starting from scratch.)
Thanks in advance.
iamjohngalt

Re: nd num of network mounts (1) when zero network mounts ex

Postby hondagx35 » 27 Mar 2018, 09:11

Hi iamjohngalt,

is it possible that you gave them an identical name?
Try to connect to the console and delete the remaining folder in /mnt/MPD/NAS/

Today I mounted another folder and rune apparently did not read the files although it said the mount was added and it appeared on Browse library.

This is most likely a permission problem.

Frank

- Get access to the console:
Use SSH from your PC
    If you are not familiar with SSH read this for Windows or this for Linux/MacOS
    The default login for RuneAudio is "root" with the password "rune" (without quotes).

- Use sftp to access files on Rune Audio:
Get WinSCP from here and install it.
When it opens setup the following:
- Session
File Protocol: SCP
Host name: The IP address of your Raspberry Pi
User name: root
Password: rune

That's it, connect and you can transfer files just by dragging and dropping.
hondagx35

Postby iamjohngalt » 27 Mar 2018, 17:07

Hi, Frank,
Thanks for the reply.
I appreciate the info on using ftp and I may use it in the future. (At present I don't want to copy files to the RPi.)

I think I have discovered the problem.
After having removed all mounts yesterday (and posting the question here) I tried another mount of the 2nd network drive.
It acted the same way, being apparently stalled on the first file for hours. Then (finallY) I noticed that that particular file was a large video file of a concert. I thought: Could that be the reason that rune does not proceed? ( did not realize the video file was in that folder until then.)
More information is now available. I left rune "working" on the "updating" of the mount over night with the computer having the drive also running. When I left it, rune was still on the same single file that I now know is a 650mb mp4 video file. In the morning 8 hours later rune had moved on through a lot of audio only folders and was "updating" on another folder containing a 1gb mkv file, a 26mb mkv, and a few non-audio files (txt and nfo.)
The mp4 video file appears in the browse list as playable (but doesn't play in rune, not that I expected it to play.)

With this new information, I turned off rune, moved the video files on the windows pc to another folder (not being mounted by rune), and restarted the RPi (pulled the plug and plugged in again.)
When rune booted up it "updated" instantly and the audio folders seem fine in the browse screen.
I added one song from each folder to the queue and played them successfully-sort of (see below.)

However, now the "sources" screen has 3 (apparently identical) items under network mounts. All have the same name.
The NAS library counts (2) mounts and only lists one mount in the browse- the folders from the finally successful mount described above.

So is my best course of action to remove all the mounts from the "Sources", reboot rune, and then (assuming all the mounts are gone as they should be) mount that NAS drive again?

What is rune doing when it "updates" on a network drive? Is it just identifying files it knows are audio by file name/extension or does it have to scan an entire file to determine if it is audio? Obviously scanning through a 1gb file takes a lot longer than reading a file type or file header, determining it is a valid audio type, and adding it to the list of playable files to display for that mount.
Would you please explain what rune does so I can avoid giving it a file that will take hours to determine if it is audio?
(If this is covered in the docs please accept my apology for not finding it.)

Also occasionally staggering/dropouts occurs in the playback that continues for some time (a 2 minute song take 4 minutes to complete due to continuing dropouts.)
OK, I connected an ethernet cable and the numerous dropouts stopped, so I guess that was a wifi problem.
However dropouts continue occasionally even on ethernet connection.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by iamjohngalt on 27 Mar 2018, 18:21, edited 4 times in total.
iamjohngalt

Postby hondagx35 » 27 Mar 2018, 17:31

Hi iamjohngalt,

What is rune doing when it "updates" on a network drive?

Rune does nothing than triggering MPD to update the library.
You can exclude directory or files from being scanned see here.

Is there a way to look at the load on the RPi to see if it is overloaded?

Connect via SSH (as described in my last post) and execute:
Code: Select all

Is this a common problem with rune under some known conditions?

No it isn't, but the onboard WiFi is not the best and only works reliably on short distances.

Frank
hondagx35

Postby iamjohngalt » 27 Mar 2018, 18:48

Hi, Frank,
Thanks again;^)

OK, I connected an ethernet cable and the numerous dropouts stopped, so I guess that was a wifi problem.
The distance is only about 4 feet to the router, but there is a monitor between and a stack of hifi equipment next to the RPi.

However dropouts continue occasionally even on wired ethernet connection.

Thanks for the tip on "top". Maybe something will show up there when the dropouts occur.
CPU load looks very light normally while playing music.

Dropouts have happened each time just after switching (changing browser tab) to rune control panel and telling rune to display different screen (in a browser on the computer that is serving the mounted data.) This also sometimes happens when I use rune in a browser on an iphone to adjust volume. That isn't the only time dropouts occur, but some interruptions appear to be coming from using the rune control screens.

However, now the "sources" screen has 3 (apparently identical) items under network mounts. All have the same name.
The NAS library counts (2) mounts and only lists one mount in the browse- the folders from the finally successful mount described above.

So is my best course of action to remove all the mounts from the "Sources", reboot rune, and then (assuming all the mounts are gone as they should be) mount that NAS drive again?

Any reply/suggestion on the multiple identical mounts list problem?

Thanks in advance.
iamjohngalt

Postby hondagx35 » 27 Mar 2018, 21:00

Hi,

dropouts shouldn't happen at all.
I have multiple devices with different DACs and all work without issues.
The only time i had a few dropouts was while MPD was scanning (indexing) the music library.
What files are you trying to play (MP3, WAV, FLAC)?

You can try to delete them, but if you named them identical it might fail.
If it doesn't work i would start with a fresh image.
Please try my latest image from here.

Frank
hondagx35

Postby iamjohngalt » 27 Mar 2018, 22:34

hondagx35 wrote:Hi,

dropouts shouldn't happen at all.
I have multiple devices with different DACs and all work without issues.
The only time i had a few dropouts was while MPD was scanning (indexing) the music library.
What files are you trying to play (MP3, WAV, FLAC)?

You can try to delete them, but if you named them identical it might fail.
If it doesn't work i would start with a fresh image.
Please try my latest image from here.

Frank

I switched to a RPi local thumbdrive and I am not having any dropouts at all. So I am concluding that something is happening to interfere with processing the stream from the network. FWIW, the cpu usage drops to near zero during the dropout, so maybe it isn't receiving anything from the network mount? I am playing MP3 and FLAC files. Would an external antenna help with wifi? Would increasing the audio buffer help with such dropouts?

On the identical mounts. I didn't name them at all. They just appeared after a restart of rune. I added one mount. It was being processed but stalled on a video file (after 15 hours). Rune became unresponsive to anything I could do. It wouldn't play. Menus didn't work. I had to pull the plug on the RPi. While it was down I removed the video files from the mount being processed and restarted RPi. It booted up and the single mount showed in Library screen although it read Network mounts(2). When I looked at the sources screen there were 2 identical items. I refreshed the screen and there were 3 identical items and they are still there. I haven't restarted since then. I have only played music.

I will try deleting them. If it doesn't clear up the issue I will start fresh with a new image.
Thanks again.
iamjohngalt

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Raspberry Pi