NAS network mount

Raspberry Pi related support

Re: NAS network mount

Postby janui » 18 Mar 2019, 11:22

Hi fuddyduddy,
fuddyduddy wrote:...How can it be that the path for a share name on a Windows 10 computer, as reported by Windows, is constantly rejected (using SMB/CIFS) as a mount point by MPD? I just can't understand it...In desperation I'm now searching for some alternative to Rune which won't force me to have anything whatever to do with MPD. The whole thing is driving me mad...
Rune V0.5 will work, see here: runeaudio-0-5-beta-for-all-raspberry-pi-models-t6532.html#p25819
You need to upgrade to the latest patch level. Just use the Sources UI. Don’t use the Advanced options to set the mount flags, these will be determined automatically.
janui
janui

Postby englishtim » 19 Mar 2019, 00:48

Hi fuddyduddy,

I'd also check the version of SMB that your NAS is using - I had comparable problems in the past that I traced to this. The 'official' v0.3 build is quite fussy, and needs to be able to use SMB1 in order to work correctly. Janui & Gearhead's v.05 beta is more forgiving of recent SMB versions.

You mention that your NAS is a Synology model. The relevant settings in Synology DSM are as follows:

Control Panel > File Services > SMB/AFP/NFS > SMB: 'Advanced' button > set 'Maximum SMB protocol' to SMB3, and 'Minimum SMB protocol' to either SMB1 if you're still on the official Rune v0.3 or SMB2 if you're on v0.5 beta.

I hope this helps.

Peace and friendship,
englishtim
Synology DS918+ NAS >
  • Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ > Behringer UCA202 >
    • Denon RCD-M38DAB > KEF Cresta II
    • Pro-Ject Head Box S > Sennheiser HD 650
  • Raspberry Pi 3 Model B > Behringer UCA202 > Sansui AU-317 > Celestion SL6
englishtim

Postby fuddyduddy » 25 Mar 2019, 22:10

Hi Janui and englishtim

I feel obligated to respond, not least because not to do so would be churlish considering you took the trouble of offering a helping hand.

Sadly, I can't avail myself of it. My disenchantment with MPD, and with Rune, is irrespective of the hardware. The fact is that mine isn't a Raspberry Pi but an Odroid C1+

It's probably (definitely?) the case that you Pi Rune users are uniquely blessed in the support you're able to draw upon from within your very extensive community. The Odroid community is an active one too but its focus is pretty-well anywhere other than audio.

Me I'm interested only in audio, am illiterate/dyslexic in Linux, and just want my Odroid SBC to perform a single function - to be a media player - but to perform it well. And using Rune I can't get it to do even that one thing.

(Concerning SMB:- I don't know but it could well be that Rune for Odroid is no less fussy about using SMB v1. I checked and found that it was deactivated on my PC so (as suggested) I activated it. However It didn't help I'm afraid).
fuddyduddy

Postby fuddyduddy » 26 Mar 2019, 13:34

Just daydreaming ...

IF I were a Linux geek (that'd be the day!) it would be child's play for me - wouldn't It? - to configure my Rune network mounts from the command-line instead of via Rune's gui. I would know every nuance of the syntax of whatever command(s) was/were needed to do that.

So, just suppose there's a Good Samaritan out there somewhere (who's as much of a geek as necessary for the purpose) willing to spell-out for me what that code would be, all that idiot-me would have to do would be to cut-and-paste it into a PuTTY terminal window. A beguiling thought indeed...

(For information just in case, my music library on my Windows 10 server PC is currently contained in the Microsoft-provided folder 'My documents', sub-folder 'Music' (which Windows at installation places in the 'Users' folder on the system drive but which I always move to and keep on another physical drive, in my case in a folder with file path [*:\Robert\My Music] and Network Path [\\DESKTOP8\My Music]. All my attempts to mount a directory using either that file path or network path via the Rune gui's 'NAS Mounts' page have failed - usually with error 22 (which I have no inkling how to handle).

Debug info:- https://pastebin.com/dHKYw6tz
fuddyduddy

Postby hondagx35 » 26 Mar 2019, 18:35

Hi fuddyduddy,

from your debug info:
Code: Select all
CIFS: Unknown mount option "nfsvers=3"

Version 3 is not available on Rune for ODROID.

You can try something like this:
 mount -t cifs -o username=<your_user_name>,password=<your_password>,vers=2.0 //IP-adddress/share_name /mnt/MPD/NAS/

mount -t cifs -o username=frank,password=verysecret,vers=2.0 "//192.168.0.24/My Musik" /mnt/MPD/NAS/

Your shared folder name contains a space, so you have to put the address in quotes.

Frank
hondagx35

Postby fuddyduddy » 26 Mar 2019, 20:41

@ Frank

I copied the code faithfully (with substitutions) and got this
mount error(16): Device or resource busy
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

The Odroid isn't busy.
fuddyduddy

Postby janui » 26 Mar 2019, 21:25

Hi All,
try this:
mkdir /mnt/MPD/NAS/My_Musik
mount -t cifs -o username=frank,password=verysecret,vers=2.0 '//192.168.0.24/My Musik' /mnt/MPD/NAS/My_Musik
If it fails, try without ",vers=2.0".
If that fails work through these "vers=3.1.1, vers=3.02, vers=3.0, vers=2.1, vers=1.0".
It can be automated so that it will mount on start-up after finding the correct mount command.
janui
janui

Postby fuddyduddy » 27 Mar 2019, 09:14

Hi janui

It worked. After deleting the final
My_Musik
and progressing to
vers=3.0
It has returned me to the command-prompt, with no error -message - which I take to mean that the command executed?

If so, can you please guide me through to the final step
It can be automated so that it will mount on start-up after finding the correct mount command

(This is starting to get exciting: I think I see a gleam of light at the end of the tunnel 8-) )
fuddyduddy

Postby janui » 27 Mar 2019, 11:54

Hi fuddyduddy,
fuddyduddy wrote:It has returned me to the command-prompt, with no error -message - which I take to mean that the command executed?
Yes, most of the time this means that it is successful. To check, run this:
grep -i cifs /proc/mounts
Please post the output for us (remove any passwords).
If '192.168.0.24' is listed you should be able to play the music stored on your Windows machine by first rebuilding the MPD library using the button in the Sources UI.
Could you also post the successful command which you used to mount the NAS (with the password removed). Then post the output of these commands:
avahi-browse -atrlkp | grep -i -E 'smb|cifs|nfs' | grep -w '='
ls /srv/http/command/rune_s*
tail -n 15 /srv/http/command/rune_shutdown
We should then have enough information to help you automate the mount.
janui
janui

Postby fuddyduddy » 27 Mar 2019, 12:38

Here's the first
[grep -i cifs /proc/mounts
//192.168.1.102/My\040Music /mnt/MPD/NAS cifs rw,relatime,vers=3.0,sec=ntlmssp,cache=strict,username=rober,domain=DESKTOP8,uid=0,noforceuid,gid=0,noforcegid,addr=192.168.1.102,file_mode=0755,dir_mode=0755,nounix,serverino,rsize=65536,wsize=65536,actimeo=1 0 0
- and here's the second
[mount -t cifs -o username=rober,password=secret,vers=3.0 "//192.168.1.102/My Music" /mnt/MPD/NAS/]
I've messed-up posting the other outputs and will need to exit/reopen PuTTY before completing those.

But first, can you tell me please:- do I enter them one at a time or all at once, on three separate lines?

EDIT
Second output:- removed incorrect final 'e' before ']'
fuddyduddy

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

PreviousNext

Return to Raspberry Pi