MPD/Rune hangs after webstream is paused/stopped for hours

Please report any bug found here

MPD/Rune hangs after webstream is paused/stopped for hours

Postby waves » 08 Dec 2015, 12:44

I have a problem where MPD becomes unresponsive and the Rune playlist/playback becomes empty.

I think it happens only after this sequence, but I'm not sure.
1 listen to a webstream (it has happened with several different streams)
2 pause or stop Rune playback
3 leave Rune idle for some time (hours)

When I thereafter try to use Rune again it is unresponsive.

This doesn't happen every time but perhaps once a week. Since usage of the Rune device also varies (some times lot of webstream listening, some times mostly file playback) it is hard to pin down more details on when it happens.

When the issue happens the Rune playback and playlist pages show no content and the playback page has never ending spinning wheels. Pause, Play etc does not work. When I SSH in and try mpc commands (like mpc play, mpc status, ...) I get "connection refused". I first thought the issue only happened when a webstream was paused and then left idle for several hours. So I did a bash script that does "mpc stop" if the track is a webstream and "mpc pause" otherwise. But I've since then had the issue also when a webstream is the current track and has been stopped for several hours.

Powering the Raspi on and off solves the problem until next time.
But I'm looking for a way to fix the issue permanently or at least work around it without having to restart the Raspi device.

When it happened again today I managed to get Rune operational again with these steps.

1 SSH in and do
Code: Select all
systemctl restart mpd

Then mpc commands work again, I can play pause audio. But the Rune playback and playlist pages still show no content.

2 to also get the UI working I go to
http://<rune device ip adress>/dev/

and do "Clear OPcache", "Restart rune_SY_wrk" and "Restart rune_PL_wrk" and reload Rune in the browser.
(I'm not sure if all three were needed for that though, I'll try them one by one next time).

Are there any bash/command line equivalents for those three commands on the /dev page? If so then I could put them all in a handy bash script.
waves

Re: MPD/Rune hangs after webstream is paused/stopped for hou

Postby hondagx35 » 08 Dec 2015, 16:24

Hi waves,

this also happened to me multiple times, but i was not able to find the reason.

I think
systemctl restart rune_SY_wrk

should be all you need.

Frank
hondagx35

Postby waves » 10 Dec 2015, 15:28

Ok, I will try to only restart MPD and then run that command next time and see if it works.
To troubleshoot I'll set a webstream in pause mode at night and check for the error next morning.
waves

Postby waves » 11 Dec 2015, 00:33

I tried it just now and
systemctl restart rune_SY_wrk

is enough. No need to also restart MPD or rune_PL_wrk . It took about 10 seconds for the Rune GUI to load again after running the command. The paused stream also began to play after restart.

Since this happens infrequently a quick way to run that command would be a good enough workaround for me. Do you know if it can be triggered by some command to
http://<rune ip adress>/command/

or do I have to make a script that connects and sends bash commands for this?
waves

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Bug report