Lost Pi on Network

Raspberry Pi related support

Re: Lost Pi on Network

Postby andfor » 21 Feb 2018, 11:26

**EDIT: You might not be a Donald Ducked as I thought. See Frank's reply below....**

Then you are, as you eloquently put it, 'Donald Ducked'.

If I were you I'd start again. It's annoying, but maybe this time make notes.

Just been reviewing your previous (hilarious) posts. You are a one man wrecking ball. You should hire yourself out to IT firms as a training aid for engineers. :D

Anyway, it seems to me you are not in as deep water as you think. For PI2 Media 502 Dac:

1. Reflash the card with 0.4b. The image is here:

runeaudio-0-4-beta-for-raspberry-pi2-3-t4434.html.

Here is the guide to flashing:

http://www.runeaudio.com/documentation/ ... p-windows/

Personally I use Win32DiskImager. It's quite easy. Just make sure you've got the correct drive selected.

2. Plug in newly flashed SD card to Pi. Ethernet cable from Pi to router. Turn on Pi.

3. From your PC that is connected to the same network open a web browser and go to http://runeaudio or http://runeaudio.local.

4. Navigate to the MPD page and select 'I²C' from the 'Audio Output' setting.

5. Navigate to the Settings page and select 'HiFiBerry DAC+'

6. Reboot.

Try that and see if you can get music playing with the webradio. If you get stuck anywhere don't do anything. Just come back here and tell me where you get stuck.

If you successfully get music playing then we'll set up a Static IP.
Last edited by andfor on 21 Feb 2018, 21:33, edited 1 time in total.
andfor

Postby rastus » 21 Feb 2018, 14:26

andfor wrote:Just been reviewing your previous (hilarious) posts. You are a one man wrecking ball. You should hire yourself out to IT firms as a training aid for engineers.

Character assassination andfor? Oh my, my.... LMFAO! Anyway, you seem to be going well andfor... I am watching with baited breath.... and I'll say this, you are doing very well, very well indeed. We may, or may not, see Frank chime in soon.... though I doubt it, Frank seems to be content, at times, to allow others to... 'deal' with... some people.

fox > No one is 'against' you brother, it's just that we (I) have been through this before with you... so many times, as well you know. And brother, if all else fails (including andfor's thorough instructions) then you do know I am only a couple of hours away, and I will help, as I've already offered... once only. I just see no point re-typing again what I've already typed in the past, a few times... nor re-typing what Frank has already many times typed too, for you again. You best chance is to read, read, and read some more... and keep reading some more again, about the Raspberry Pi and RuneAudio. So, instead of getting help from here this time and leaving, never to return until something else goes wrong.... why don't you drop in once a week and have a good read of the posts from others having issues, even if they do not relate to you.... you will learn some things that way. Think about it, please fox. "Give a man a fish and you feed him today.... teach a man HOW TO fish and you feed him forever..."

EDIT: "If you get stuck anywhere don't do anything." <---- Good advice! And, goodnight once again andfor!
rastus

Postby hondagx35 » 21 Feb 2018, 17:13

andfor wrote:Hi,

One last question that I'm not clear on. When you see "the Rune Audio page and nothing happens. The one with the 2 circles…." is this on the monitor attached to the Pi?

And as I said - no other PCs are needed. No mouse. No Cat6 cables. Nothing else.

Yes, my latest images for RP2/3 have a local browser enabled by default.
The resolution and other things are optimized for the official 7" TFT touchscreen.

@foxint
The mouse does not work and I do not have a touch screen..

The mouse works, but the mouse cursor is disabled.
Move the mouse to the upper right corner and click, the menu should appear.
You can then use the cursor keys and or the TAB key to navigate.

Frank
hondagx35

Postby andfor » 21 Feb 2018, 19:39

Ok. So I had it wrong thinking that foxint should have been seeing a command line interface?

That's why it was so confusing!

And a result of my not understanding that the the local browser is not just for touchscreens.

If I were you foxint I'd turn off the local browser if/when you get into the settings. Unless you're planning to use a touchscreen. It's on the 'Settings' page of the menu and it does say 'Start an local browser on HDMI or TFT'.

It seems possible that foxint could fix this without reflashing.

Thank Christ.

And thank Frank.
andfor

Postby foxint » 22 Feb 2018, 07:42

Guys

Thank you.

I tried the methods, and nothing worked. I am re-flashing.....

I downloaded the new file. It was a trick for young players as I had to decompress it and my copy of WinZip did not work, so I had to get a mate to use his. That meant a drive over to his place….in the age of digital having to physically move the digital file…ha-ha….

Also getting the little card out was a challenge with the box…I had to get some small tweezers…obviously the box was only made for one-way traffic…

Here goes…. I used Win32DiskImagers. I did not wipe the small card as I thought is would write over it. Who knows????

The file was a year newer than the one I eventually found on the old lap top in the cupboard. Lucky this was not thrown away…lucky.

All good…

#4. No so good as there was no I2C option only
• RaspberryPiAnalogOut
• RaspberryPiHDMI Out

I moved to #5 and put in HiFiBerryDAC+

Still no luck with #3. But I did reboot….

After the re-boot I completed #4

Yippie – it worked. My favourite radio cdnx seems to have disappeared…but all is good.

THANK YOU!!!!

Anything else I need to do…Static IP???

My last thought….why did we not try: http://runeaudio in the first place??

I have not touched anything else – aside from the starting volume and the time zone.
foxint

Postby andfor » 22 Feb 2018, 10:52

Holy hopping Christ foxint! Thats great news. Congratulations! :D

You don't technically need to do this, but setting a Static IP is to prevent some of the problems you were having before and generally good advice.

1) Go to the 'Network' page of the menu and click on your connection. It should be labeled eth0 and have a green tick.

2) This brings you to the 'Network Interface' page. Under 'Interface Configuration' there is an option to select DHCP or Static. Choose Static.

3) Then you have to manually set up the network by entering these details:

IP Address - From your previous post:

The old IP address (last week) was 192.168.1.31, but this is not working.

Now you could set that as your IP address again, as long as you know no other device will have taken it in the meantime.

Netmask - this is 255.255.255.0

Gateway - Assuming the IP addresses from your previous posts are correct this will most likely be 192.168.1.1

Primary DNS - I use 8.8.8.8

Secondary DNS - I use 8.8.4.4

So there were a couple of assumptions there regarding IP address and Gateway. You could try the values I mentioned, and there's a fair chance it will work, but if they are wrong you'll be back to square 1. If you want to risk it and try anyway turn off the local browser setting first (on the 'Settings' page)

If you want to be sure you need to check the IP addresses of all the devices on your network and choose a different one. But only change the last number, ie - 192.168.1.X.

The Gateway address can be found in various places. I use command prompt in Windows and type 'ipconfig'. This lists the network configuration including 'Default Gateway' which is what you need.

Once you've got all the details in place click 'Save and Apply' and you should be good to go.

Again, if you're stuck, don't do anything. Just come back and ask.

And, by the way, I'm sure using http://runeaudio has been mentioned before. And it's in the manual. Bookmark this page: http://www.runeaudio.com/documentation and always go there first.

It's the sacred everlasting dictum of RTFM. :D
andfor

Postby andfor » 22 Feb 2018, 12:18

And while I'm at it here's some more advice....

You can make backups of the image on your SD card using Win32DiskImager and save them to your PC. So once you've got everything set up and working take a backup. This way you can do any amount of fiddling about and experimentation (which is the best way to learn anything btw) and always have a way to reset everything if it goes wrong without starting from scratch.

Here's how:

1) Insert your SD card into your PC's card reader and fire up Win32DiskImager.

2) Select your SD card from the 'Devices' drop down menu on the right.

3) Click the little folder button.

4) Specify a folder you want to save the image to as well as a filename. It's a good idea to include the date in the filename if you're going to make more than 1 image.

5) Click 'Read'.

6) Win32DiskImager will create a .img file at the specified location.

Now, if you run into trouble again, you have a working image that you can revert back to. Just follow the same procedure as flashing the original Rune image you downloaded, but using your backup file instead.

Every time you want to experiment, and you change something, and you find yourself with a working, stable image that you're happy with, take a back up.

Every time you want to experiment, and you change something, and you find yourself 'Donald Ducked', reflash the most recent stable image.

Note: This will only work (without further complications) if you use the same SD card. Or at least the same size SD card or larger.

Also note: Win32DiskImager copies the whole card, including empty space, so you'll end up with a large file on your PC. If you want to save space use a compression tool like 7zip to make a zip file.

Also also note: This is usually only worth doing if you plan to make modifications to the stock image. Taking an image with the only change being static IP would normally be a collosal waste of HDD space. However, in your case it might be easier for you to take a basic image once you've got the static IP configured and working and use that as your 'reset button' than having to resort to the forum to spread your unique brand of chaos. :D
andfor

Postby foxint » 23 Feb 2018, 09:07

Andfor

Thank you.

I managed to make the IP address static. I left all the defaults aside from the IP Address and it seems to have worked.

WOW…what an ordeal – yes for you as well – my apologies.

Copying the little disk is good.

But I failed on all the instructions

2. The little drop down did not seem to work and was always defaulting to a location in the c-drive.

3. No Little folder – just 2 (Overlays and kernel7)
4. On ways not good.

So I used windows to copy and paste the contents of the small card to a folder in the c-drive

Is that OK….I suspect not????
foxint

Postby andfor » 23 Feb 2018, 10:54

Hi foxint,

Good stuff mate. We're getting there.

So I used windows to copy and paste the contents of the small card to a folder in the c-drive

Is that OK….I suspect not????

Your suspicions are correct. This will not work because windows can't see the entire contents of the Rune installation, only the boot partition. This is to do with Rune being Linux-based not Windows.

2. Under where it says 'Devices' is a drop down menu. If your SD card is plugged in to the PC and has been recognised (which it has been if you managed to copy/paste the other files). And if you start/restart Win32DiskImager after you plug in the card to your PC, the SD card should show up in this list.

3. By little folder I mean the button with a picture of a little blue folder that's to the left of the 'Devices' drop down menu. This should allow you to select somewhere on your PC to save the image.

4. Not sure what you mean, but if you get the above two steps right the rest should follow.
andfor

Postby foxint » 23 Feb 2018, 21:20

Andfor

THANK YOU.

OK…I fail.

Very confused. Some how I need to copy the all the stuff from the pi to the PC. When I go to Win32

• Open folder and it defaults to “downloads”
• I try to us the "folder" (icon) to direct it to the place where I want it to dopy to
• But it wants to copy from that place - My gut says Win32 will not go in the opposite direction
• Ahhhhh
• I move it to the D-drive the little card and it refuses to do anything
• So what next

Yes I know there will be those on the forum who think I am stupid….but I am not a tinkerer with lunix and these things are al strange.

Sorry to stretch the friendship. But there is a simple thing a experience linux player will take as read.
foxint

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

PreviousNext

Return to Raspberry Pi