Kernel Headers

Raspberry Pi related support

Kernel Headers

Postby ow25 » 30 Aug 2014, 13:57

Hi

In a separate post i asked about kernel headers but didn't get very far so parked it for a while. Today i thought lets look at it again as i'd like to see if RuneUI is worth changing too.

I normally run my custom build stripped down debian with gitcloned volumio v1.3 and mpd.0.18.11 to suit my needs.

The following is how i got the kernel headers installed, i'm no linux expert so it might not be the best way. Log in as root and then.

-> pacman -Syy
-> pacman -S linux-raspberrypi
-> pacman -S linux-raspberrypi-headers

the above will install the latest 3.12.26-1-ARCH but it looks like runeui is setup to run linux-rune-3.12.19-2-ARCH.img as default and doesn't like it when you change it on it via SSH with commands like "pacman -S --force linux-raspberrypi", the gui will stall.

so... try
-> cd /boot
-> rm linux-rune-3.12.19-2-ARCH.img
-> cp kernel.img linux-rune-3.12.19-2-ARCH.img
-> reboot

Lets see if that worked... you should now be able to go
-> uname -r
3.12.26-1-ARCH

I was able to build the driver i needed with the above steps to get the kernel headers.

Cheers

btw, may i suggest that in the next distro release of runeaudio that the snd-usb-hiface drivers be installed as standard? there are a few dacs that use it including computer audiophiles product of the year and what hi-fi's best sub 1000 pound dac.
Last edited by ow25 on 30 Aug 2014, 21:40, edited 1 time in total.
ow25

Re: Kernel Headers

Postby cmh714 » 30 Aug 2014, 15:13

From what I have done and seen, you could leave the .26 kernel name as is, and you can change config.txt to match.....having said that, I didnt try to see if it works, basically, I have done the same as you, I am running on a fully updated kernel and image.
cmh714

Postby ow25 » 30 Aug 2014, 21:37

I did think about changing the config.txt file but when i was looking at the RuneUI setting page for the kernel i could only see two kernels that were custom built by the developer. I couldn't see any option for selecting a standard kernel even after i installed the latest kernel. When i did try top force the new kernel the RuneUI interface stalled.

Maybe what I did to get it to boot was over the top but i figured it was probably the most sure fire way to avoid any clashes with RuneUI.

Anyways, if there's a better way, please test out your method and report back, I'm always keen to learn about a better method.
ow25

Postby phalanger » 27 Jan 2015, 22:37

I tried this and even though it seemed to work, I still get this error when trying to use pacman to install a package i made with makepkg, containing mt7601u wifi driver:

# pacman -U dkms-mt7601u-v3.0.0.4-1-any.pkg.tar.xz

[...]
(1/1) loading package files [######################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts [######################] 100%
(1/1) checking available disk space [######################] 100%
dkms-mt7601u, v3.0.0.4: added

------------------------------
Deleting module version: v3.0.0.4
completely from the DKMS tree.
------------------------------
Done.
(1/1) reinstalling dkms-mt7601u [######################] 100%

Creating symlink /var/lib/dkms/dkms-mt7601u/v3.0.0.4/source ->
/usr/src/dkms-mt7601u-v3.0.0.4

DKMS: add completed.
Error! echo
Your kernel headers for kernel 3.12.26-1-ARCH cannot be found at
/usr/lib/modules/3.12.26-1-ARCH/build or /usr/lib/modules/3.12.26-1-ARCH/source.
Error! echo
Your kernel headers for kernel 3.12.26-1-ARCH cannot be found at
/usr/lib/modules/3.12.26-1-ARCH/build or /usr/lib/modules/3.12.26-1-ARCH/source.
modprobe: WARNING: Module mt7601Usta not found.
error: command failed to execute correctly

I am only half-savvy in linux so I felt good for having succesfully built the driver package, installing the linux headers etc.. but then it failed at what seems to be the last step. So far getting this wifi dongle to work has been a proper headache, even though I picked one that claimed to work without driver on Raspberry (not in arch though I suppose).

I've pretty much exhausted my limited linux expertise on this and am preparing to have to deal with a wired musicplayer, but if anyone has any ideas how to get this Ralink 7601 wifi dongle to work, I'd be grateful!
phalanger

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Raspberry Pi