Jukebox function

Suggestions/requests/ideas for RuneAudio core features and functions

Jukebox function

Postby zetapq » 13 Aug 2014, 15:54

Fresh Rune Audio user here.
Set it up on my RPi with a TX100-transmitter from Audio Pro as USB soundcard and it worked like a charm!

To the point: I'm looking for alternatives for Squeezebox and there's especially one feature that is missing, and I don't just mean in Rune Audio. I've looked at a lot of systems (Sonos, BlueSound, Raumfeld to name a few) but NONE of them feature any sort of jukebox. It's starting to get really frustrating. It seems these systems aren't designed for listening to music but rather albums.

I know you are just looking at incorporating proper browsing of tagged files so this would of course have to be in place first and foremost. But after that, do you have any plans on looking at something "jukeboxy"?

For example, the way I use it today on the Squeezebox:
Select random play -> Pick genres -> Play songs randomly.

This coupled with auto play is really nice, rarely need to do anything but turn the system on to get some background music going. Thoughts? Is this perhaps already built into MPD in some way or is it more a matter of the client creating playlists on the fly in the background?
zetapq

Re: Jukebox function

Postby ACX » 13 Aug 2014, 16:33

Hi zetapq,
in the latest 0.3-alpha release we introduced an experimental feature called "Global random" which puts MPD in consume mode and adds tracks to the queue picking them randomly through the entire music library. We would like to polish and improve this feature in the future, maybe optionally limiting the pick to a set of variables (genres, tags, etc).
How would your ideal "jukebox mode" be supposed to work?
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

Postby zetapq » 13 Aug 2014, 22:31

Global random sounds like a really good start! Glad to hear you already thought about it.

My daily use case for the random mix really just revolves around picking genres and then pressing play.
But for the sake of argument... the ideal jukebox for me would work much like dynamic playlists.

Function
It would be neat if you could define a set of rules for the random mix; for example not only pick genres but perhaps year, artists, maybe even custom tags such as rating if someone has been ambitious enough to add that to every track in their collection. Anyway, when your rules are defined, save them as a Preset, and voila, a "dynamic playlist" has been born.

Invoking
Initiating the jukebox should preferably be done by simply pressing a conveniently placed button. Choosing a preset could be done by exchanging the regular button for a split button (noticed you utilize bootstrap, so this one for example: http://getbootstrap.com/components/#btn-dropdowns-split). Adding presets could also be a part of that drop down but separated by a horizontal spacer (just as the separated link in the bootstrap component gallery). This way the UI should be easy to keep clean as well.

Filtering
If you invoke a whole new page of filtering glory from the split button you should be able to add any filter users might want to throw at you. Preset management at the top, filter configuration below, or something like that.

• Genre
    My collection is divided into roughly 20 different genres, and there are probably some that have more but it should be feasible to have a collection of "checkbox" buttons to select and deselect, let's call it a pill button farm. Touch-friendly. Other option could be a type-ahead drop-down I guess, and you just add from that to a list as you find your genres. This would work regardless of the number of genres (this would probably also work for most fields, even custom ones, as long as they are present in the database of course).
    • Year
      Perhaps define a range (defining several might be overkill)? Or make it simple by making a pill button farm with decades based on dates found in the database.
    • Artists / Albums / Custom Tag
      I guess if you want to filter by these you'd have to do some drop-down type-ahead magic and add to a list from that, or require the user to simply type in one or more values separated by semicolon for example.
    So... ehm yeah. I know this would've been easier to illustrate by actually drawing some sketches; but you've done a stellar job with the UI so far so as long as I manage to convey my concept of how I would like it to work, I'm sure you'll be able to materialize it with a better UI than I could. :)

And there you pretty much have it! I hope I managed to give you the input you were looking for to some extent at least.
    zetapq

Postby ACX » 14 Aug 2014, 00:08

I don't see any particular problems in integrating such feature in the UI, but we have to find a way to interact with MPD in a smart way to produce the dynamic playlists by the given filters. That will be the real challenge, and it's part of the backend (and probably demanding).
    ACX
    RuneAudio co-founder

Postby zetapq » 14 Aug 2014, 07:34

Yeah, I guess the UI part really is a matter of making it accessible and make it fit with the rest, which of course can be hard enough at times. I know too little of MPD right now to be of any assistance there but I'll try and read up on it to see if I can find anything that might be useful.

But thanks for taking the time to hear me out! Looking forward to versions to come and the features they might bring. I've been looking at MPD and clients before but to be honest they haven't really been polished enough (at least not the clients I've encountered) for me to consider them a replacement for a dedicated music streamer. But with Rune Audio you have really managed to create something awesome IMO, so again, thank you!

Edit:

I did a quick search and there seem to be quite a few scripts floating around dealing with creating playlists for MPD based on different criterias. A couple examples:

Also Cantata the MPD Client has this functionality built in (Dynamic Playlist Filter Dialog), not sure how they communicate this to the MPD, but since it's open source it should be relatively easy to find out.

So with a little luck you won't have to start from scratch if you decide to take a closer look at this functionality.
    zetapq

Postby riquet78 » 10 Jan 2015, 15:50

ACX wrote:Hi zetapq,
    in the latest 0.3-alpha release we introduced an experimental feature called "Global random" which puts MPD in consume mode and adds tracks to the queue picking them randomly through the entire music library. We would like to polish and improve this feature in the future, maybe optionally limiting the pick to a set of variables (genres, tags, etc).
    How would your ideal "jukebox mode" be supposed to work?

Hi,
    Also interested in this feature !
    I'm using 0.3-beta and do not find "Global random", where is it located ?

Any roadmap for next features ?
    riquet78

Postby ACX » 10 Jan 2015, 16:41

riquet78 wrote:I'm using 0.3-beta and do not find "Global random", where is it located ?

We have temporarily disabled it until we find a better way to manage it.
    ACX
    RuneAudio co-founder

Postby roderick » 10 Jan 2015, 21:09

And also select files on the rating criterium.

I used J River and XBMC to rate my somgs the last couple of years. Those players have the option to create a playlist based on criteria you'd like. For instance: all song with 2 stars or more and play them at random. This is what I use very often.

Fantastic project, RuneAudio. Good luck geeting in more features. Donation on the way.
    roderick

Postby ACX » 11 Jan 2015, 04:20

roderick wrote:I used J River and XBMC to rate my somgs the last couple of years. Those players have the option to create a playlist based on criteria you'd like. For instance: all song with 2 stars or more and play them at random. This is what I use very often.

A rating algorithm is definetly something that we have in our future roadmap, although not with high priority at the moment.
    ACX
    RuneAudio co-founder

Postby celfred » 09 Oct 2016, 11:07

Hello,

First, since this is my 1st post, let me congratulate you for the work on RuneAudio. I really like using it.

I'm doing a little 'up' on this topic because this seems like a great feature to me and I wonder which priority it has on an eventual new version.

As I see it, it would be quite simple (in the UI, in the dev work, I don't know :)) : a 'toolbar' on the playback UI, just underneath the actual 'Repeat/Random/Single', exactly the same with 3 icons only with functions such as :
    - Use Queue
    - Same artist
    - Same genre
    If buttons 'Same Artist' or 'Same Genre' are 'lighted/selected', then the actual queue is ignored and shuffling takes places according to the selected Artist/Genre function (It would also adapt to the 'Random' button state just above). Only 1 button out of the 3 would be selectable. If 1st button is selected, the actual playlist resumes.

If this sounds 'do-able' and could happen quite soon, I would be delighted ;)

Thanks again.
    celfred

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Feature request