IQaudIO.com Pi-AMP

Everything about Hi-Fi equipment

IQaudIO.com Pi-AMP

Postby gswg » 02 Jul 2014, 17:15

Hi, thought you may like to see a picture of the pre-production Pi-AMP (http://iqaudio.com/?page_id=34).

This Raspberry Pi sized Class D stereo amplifier delivers stunning audio quality - suitable for any audio project and particularly useful when combined with i2s based DACs such as the IQaudIO.com Pi-DAC with built in hardware volume control.

The IQaudIO.com Pi-AMP is based on the Texas Instruments TPA3118D2. We've focused exclusively on audio quality components throughout to deliver an exceptional sonic performance. It sounds fantastic - even with a simple 12v 1.5amp wall plug!

We expect to conclude the design and sign off for mass production in the coming weeks, ready for summer - at what we believe is a great price.

There's no special Linux driver or similar needed but for those who wish to enable / disable the amp from under software control this is possible via one of the Pi's GPIO.

Feedback welcome.

Best regards,

Gordon@IQaudIO.com
gswg

Re: IQaudIO.com Pi-AMP

Postby skrodahl » 02 Jul 2014, 22:33

Hi Gordon,
The TPA31xx has been gathering quite a following lately, and it's cool to see that you'll soon be shipping your addition to that relatively small collection of amps. And such a tiny one at that.

Would it be possible for you to show some pictures and share some measurements for the RPI, Pi-AMP and Pi-DAC fully assembled? (I'm assuming that the Pi-AMP will connect to the RPi, correct me if I'm wrong.)

Does the Pi-AMP accept other input sources than the Pi-DAC?

-skrodahl
-skrodahl

Muffsy Phono Preamp PP-3 || Audiobah TPA3116 || ESP P88 || ProJect Debut Carbon Espirit DC || RuneAudio / RaspBerry Pi / HifiBerry DAC || Dynaco A25
skrodahl

Postby ACX » 03 Jul 2014, 00:23

Hi Gordon, great news! This is something I would suggest to a lot of friends of mine that always ask me for a small and low-cost solution without sacrifying sound quality. Do you already have a price target for it?

I'm a big fan of Class D amplifiers, as my adventure in the Hi-Fi world started because of this review :) I owned that little thing and I still have a DIY ampli based on TA2024 at home on my secondary setup. How does the TPA3118D2 compare to the old TA2024, beyond power?
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

Postby skrodahl » 03 Jul 2014, 00:48

ACX,
The nice thing about these class-t/class-d amps is that they are so incredibly cheap. I just ordered a TPA3116 board on eBay, and I'm going to put it up against the TA2020.

According to several posters on dyiAudio, AudioCircle and AudioKarma, the TPA31xx series should be better than the TriPaths. I sure intend to find out if that's the case, as I think the TriPath TA2020 is simply marvelous.

TriPath has been out of business for quite a few years now, and there's been reports and rumors about counterfeit chips. If the TI amps are as good as people claim, I'm sure they will be a worthy successor.

-skrodahl
-skrodahl

Muffsy Phono Preamp PP-3 || Audiobah TPA3116 || ESP P88 || ProJect Debut Carbon Espirit DC || RuneAudio / RaspBerry Pi / HifiBerry DAC || Dynaco A25
skrodahl

Postby gswg » 03 Jul 2014, 20:40

Yes we have a price target. Our aim was to use great quality audio components throughout so not to sacrifice the audio quality. It's certainly not going to be stratospheric - more Pi territory.

Measurements will come, the Pi-AMP will take a 8way connection from the Pi-DAC for Audio but the Pi-AMP will accept any audio just as easily.

Gordon@iqaudio.com
gswg

Postby LC1 » 14 Sep 2014, 10:56

skrodahl wrote:Hi Gordon,

Would it be possible for you to show some pictures and share some measurements for the RPI, Pi-AMP and Pi-DAC fully assembled? (I'm assuming that the Pi-AMP will connect to the RPi, correct me if I'm wrong.)

-skrodahl

Hi,

sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I am interested to know if there have been any developments on the final design for the PI-AMP? I will shortly be purchasing a RPI B+ and PI-DAC+, and am wondering whether to wait for this amp to become available or pull the trigger on another TPA31xx amp, such as the SMSL SA-36A Pro.

I would love to know answers to the questions above, and also whether the PI-AMP will be sold as a board only, or as a finished unit in protective housing with volume knob etc? If the former, will it therefore be possible to connect it directly to the PI/PI-DAC combo without the need for external cabling to connect them, and will there be a single housing available to fit all three as a single unit?

Looking forward to getting this all set up and installing Rune for the first time - looks like a great project!

Cheers,
Luke

EDIT: I saw a post from gswg on the PI-DAC+ thread that answers a lot of the above questions and gives a diagram & schematic for the PI-AMP. I still have a few questions but think I will ask them there as it seems to be the place where the PI-AMP is being discussed, rather than here, ironically! :)

http://www.runeaudio.com/forum/iqaudio-pi-dac-plus-t418.html
LC1

Postby gswg » 26 Sep 2014, 13:29

Sorry Luke, looks like I crossed threads. Feels like something out of Ghostbusters!

Gordon
gswg

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Hi-Fi systems