Inconsistent reading of music files

Raspberry Pi related support

Inconsistent reading of music files

Postby cyberguy1 » 25 Jun 2018, 01:39

I need help. Running Pi3 with hifiberry digi. Everything works fine EXCEPT about 1/3 of my files won’t play. I can update the mpd from my connected usb hard drive just fine. The music files show as they should, but a good number just won’t play. I can load them in the que, mpd finds and recognizes them. I push play and nothing, no sound. If I push play button again they get removed from the que, but the same thing happens to the next song. No sound. Put another song file in the que and it works perfectly. No reason I can figure why one will work and another won’t. It seems random, and is not related to type of file (I use mostly flac, some wav and a few mp3). I’m very frustrated because when things work they work great, but it just appears random that certain files will play and some won’t. When this happens all the files in a certain directory (I.e. all the songs in a ripped cd) either WILL or WONT play. Can anyone help? When a directory won’t play I’ve tried updating that individual folder OR the whole database, neither actions resolve the problem. It just seems so random!
cyberguy1

Re: Inconsistent reading of music files

Postby janui » 25 Jun 2018, 06:47

Hi cyberguy1,
Something similar turned up a while ago. Try using MP3TAG (see here: post21296.html?hilit=mp3tag#p21296) to open and save the music files which will not play. It is possible that faults in the metadata are screwing things up. If it works, look on the web for instruction to automate the process for all your files, MP3TAG has a batch processing interface.
janui
janui

Postby hondagx35 » 25 Jun 2018, 16:57

Hi cyberguy1,

welcome to Rune Audio.

A bit more information would help to get better answers:

- used soundcard (onboard, USB or I2S)?
From working and non working files:
- audio format (flac, mp3, wav or ....)?
- sample rate and bit-depth

Frank
hondagx35

Postby cyberguy1 » 25 Jun 2018, 20:21

Hifiberry Digi+ HAT card using spdif out. Vast majority of files are 16/44 flac. Of approximately 2800 albums maybe 1/3 are “discovered” by Rune but won’t play. The rest play fine. They all play fine with other programs, So it seems to me I can rule out metadata as the problem.
cyberguy1

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Raspberry Pi