Postby doxyq3 » 15 Sep 2014, 17:42

How do I edit a mpd.conf file?

Bear with me I am new to Linux.

Thanks.
doxyq3

Re: How to edit a mpd.conf file

Postby skrodahl » 15 Sep 2014, 21:15

Hi doxyq3,
If you are considering editing the mpd.conf file in RuneAudio, I would recommend against it. The reason is that the settings from RuneAudio's web interface will stop working and/or you risk that you lose the changes on a reboot.

That said, It's cool that you want to learn Linux. Editing config files is an important part of your quest, and there are a lot of tools that will help you.

Basically, you need a text editor. There are many to choose from, one of the easiest to get started with is Nano. It's modeled on the age old killer app WordStar from the CP/M operating system.

The default editor in all Linux systems is vi (VIsual editor). The learning curve is quite steep, but it's a fast, efficient and powerful editor once you get the hang of it.

The vi editor will make you lose interest immediately, especially if all you want to do is a quick change in a file. I will recommend that you look into vi if you're serious about learning Linux. Or Emacs. (Yes, I just opened the can of worms that is Editor War.) With that can opened, you can go on to see that there is a plethora of editors out there.

In case you got confused along the way, for a quick and relatively simple editing experience: Go with Nano. (Click the link for a tutorial.)

-skrodahl

Muffsy Phono Preamp PP-3 || Audiobah TPA3116 || ESP P88 || ProJect Debut Carbon Espirit DC || RuneAudio / RaspBerry Pi / HifiBerry DAC || Dynaco A25
skrodahl

Postby Aquarius » 16 Sep 2014, 11:18

lol :)

Nano fits most purposes for sanity-concsious people...
-- Aquarius
Hifi Gear: RuneAudio/Volumio on Raspberry Pi B + Hifibery Digi, Atoll ST200 (network streamer, DAC, pre-amp), Emotiva XPA-2, Bowers & Wilkins 683
Aquarius

Postby Dukobpa3 » 16 Sep 2014, 11:32

Lol. Also you cat try to do it with 'sed' command ))))
wiki:sed
Dukobpa3

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Raspberry Pi