HiFiBerry Amp+ vs DigiAMP+

Everything about Hi-Fi equipment

Re: HiFiBerry Amp+ vs DigiAMP+

Postby dunghnguyen » 13 Mar 2016, 02:50

I think you just fit it on the Pi :)
dunghnguyen

Postby dunghnguyen » 19 Mar 2016, 06:23

You could refer to this for further info to fit your add-on board into Pi https://www.hifiberry.com/guides/gpio-u ... -products/
dunghnguyen

Postby osanto » 24 Mar 2016, 19:24

Hello,

My current setup is:
Amp: Anthem MRX 510 (recent purchase)
Media Player: Asus Oplay R1 (old media souce)

I want to upgrade my audio source, first i thought on auralic aries mini, but to spend 500€, i thought about the pi+hifiberry.

I want to listen music on a simple way, with app/pc control, i have my router next to the amp.

What do you recomend me to do? Max 500€.

Thanks
osanto

Postby PeteB » 24 Mar 2016, 19:51

osanto wrote:Hello,

My current setup is:

Welcome to the forum,

Unless I am mistaken, the 510 is a complete A/V receiver, with multiple HDMI and digital audio inputs?

Therefore, you can use just a Raspberry Pi 2 or 3, and the HDMI interface.

Or, for perhaps slightly better streaming audio, (and a little more complexity), a Pi and the HiFiBerry (or IQAudio) DIGI+ board, and a digital audio connection. In either case, the cost should be well under $100.

Pete
PeteB

Postby osanto » 24 Mar 2016, 20:05

PeteB wrote:
osanto wrote:Hello,

My current setup is:

Welcome to the forum,

Unless I am mistaken, the 510 is a complete A/V receiver, with multiple HDMI and digital audio inputs?

Therefore, you can use just a Raspberry Pi 2 or 3, and the HDMI interface.

Or, for perhaps slightly better streaming audio, (and a little more complexity), a Pi and the HiFiBerry (or IQAudio) DIGI+ board, and a digital audio connection. In either case, the cost should be well under $100.

Pete

Thanks Pete,

510 have this inputs: Optical, coaxial and analog inputs send 2-channel music to Zone 2.

My ideia is to have the best possible Hi Fi sound on a low budget.
I want to avoid HDMI connection to avoid to have the tv on every time i listen to music (today reality). My doubt is Pi + HiFiBerry (or other sugestion) or Pi + External DAC.
osanto

Postby PeteB » 24 Mar 2016, 23:53

I don't think you need an external DAC. That is a fine A/V receiver that you have, and it probably has very good sound. I would want to take advantage of that.

So, I would say just the Pi, and the HiFiBerry DIGI+ board and a good power supply (the better power supplies only cost $3~4 more than the poor ones). Then an optical or coax cable from the HiFiBerry board to the 510, and you are done.

Surely less than $100, or whatever that is in Euros... :mrgreen:
PeteB

Postby osanto » 25 Mar 2016, 00:20

PeteB wrote:I don't think you need an external DAC. That is a fine A/V receiver that you have, and it probably has very good sound. I would want to take advantage of that.

So, I would say just the Pi, and the HiFiBerry DIGI+ board and a good power supply (the better power supplies only cost $3~4 more than the poor ones). Then an optical or coax cable from the HiFiBerry board to the 510, and you are done.

Surely less than $100, or whatever that is in Euros... :mrgreen:

Thanks alot for your answer.
I always thought that with DAC +Pro i would get a better sound on my 510, with de DIGI+ i will make sure that I receive a "pure" sound and the DAC of my 510 will make the rest, is that your suggestion?
From what I saw the DIGI+ is only compatible with Pi 2 there is any solution to Pi3?

About the power supply, any recommendation? you are talking about linear power supplies?

Thanks for the advise, i´m going to give a try on the solution, and yes the 510 has a very good sound, I bought it to cinema, after confirming the good quality that it has, i tried it with audio, and now I want more :)
osanto

Postby PeteB » 25 Mar 2016, 02:52

osanto wrote:I always thought that with DAC +Pro i would get a better sound on my 510,
Hard to say, but in my personal opinion, probably not an improvement over the 510.

osanto wrote:with de DIGI+ i will make sure that I receive a "pure" sound and the DAC of my 510 will make the rest, is that your suggestion?
Yes! The Raspberry Pi is the "engine" for the streaming player. The DIGI+ provides the digital output signal to your receiver. Get the transformer version of the DIGI+ (it is only about $10 more), or use an optical cable. This should be all you need.

osanto wrote:From what I saw the DIGI+ is only compatible with Pi 2 there is any solution to Pi3?
I do not know, because I have the Pi 2, but you can ask that question in the Pi 3 thread.

osanto wrote:About the power supply, any recommendation? you are talking about linear power supplies?
For the DIGI+, you do NOT need an analog supply, because the digital-to-analog conversion is all done in the 510. Just any good supply, the kind of 2A ~ 2.5A supply sold separately, with a connector for a USB cable, not the kind with the attached cable, and not the one usually included in a kit with the Pi. It should only cost around $10, plus $2~3 for the cable.

For the DAC+ Pro, it is more complicated. HiFiBerry has an option for a separate analog supply, in addition to the conventional supply for the Pi. In general, you get good performance with the wall-wart supply, better performance with an analog supply, and best performance with a secondary analog supply. This is just FYI, as I said, you really do not need the DAC, just the DIGI, since you are going through the 510 anyway.

The DAC+ PRO is really intended more for people like me, who want to connect directly to an analog "line-in"/RCA input of a less expensive amp or receiver. (I like my old analog gear, and want to keep using it... at this point, it is free to me... I already own more than one). You have a more modern and more capable digital A/V receiver, and a very good one at that, so, you don't need a DAC+, unless you just want to play with analog circuits... :mrgreen:
PeteB

Postby osanto » 25 Mar 2016, 13:19

Thanks Pete.

I will place my doubts in the Pi 3 thread.

I will let you know about the final result.
osanto

Postby dunghnguyen » 25 Mar 2016, 14:41

@PeteB: your advice is really comprehensive. But as what I know 2 channels amp always has better sound in term of music, sound stage, detail...that is why stereo amp still exits. Receiver is preferable for HD films, video songs, classic music in theatre that those have sound effects from surround speakers, surround back speakers. Using DIGI+ to transfer digital to receiver (same using hdmi so no need to buy Digi+) does not have better sound due to multi-channels amp of receiver. Hence if @osanto he has budget a choice of new stereo amp could be considered along with Hifi DAC+. That is why audiophile they have receiver first (combine watching film + listening music :) ) then picking stereo amp after a while. I were like that. I am waiting for HifiBerry DAC+ to be delivered :)
dunghnguyen

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

PreviousNext

Return to Hi-Fi systems