HELP! AUDIOPHONICS U-SABRE ES9018 MK2 DAC - RPi

Raspberry Pi related support

HELP! AUDIOPHONICS U-SABRE ES9018 MK2 DAC - RPi

Postby mckellarsafc » 15 Dec 2016, 11:31

HELP PLEASE! I purchased this DAC:
http://www.audiophonics.fr/en/diy-dac/a ... -8883.html

The U-Sabre ES9018 Mk2 DAC from Audiophonics, which comes with an OLED display. I have tried both Rune Audio and MoOde to get it working through the Raspberry Pi 3 B but i've had no success. On MoOde I can get files to play using various drivers, when I contacted Audiophonics they suggested the Generic RPi DAC driver, (the nearest to that is Generic-2 IS2 (rpi-dac)), which plays however the OLED display doesn't work properly. When playing 24/192 files the OLED display shows 384khz, any other file shows no sample rate just 'USB' and 'Unlock'.

Can anyone advise how to get this DAC working on Rune Audio, including how to get the OLED display to function correctly?

Thank you.
mckellarsafc

Re: HELP! AUDIOPHONICS U-SABRE ES9018 MK2 DAC - RPi

Postby Yatsushiro » 15 Dec 2016, 13:40

350 Euros' and it doesn't work out of the box? I'd be considering requesting a refund.
Yatsushiro

Postby mckellarsafc » 16 Dec 2016, 15:35

I don't think it is a hardware issue, but more to do with using the correct drivers or settings with the Raspberry Pi/ Rune i think, but i'm not really sure.

I am now wondering if the DAC is automatically upsampling to 384khz, although it doesn't appear to do this with 16bit files I dont think. I need to test some more to check exactly what it displays with what files.
mckellarsafc

Postby hondagx35 » 16 Dec 2016, 16:55

Hi mckellarsafc,

the DAC you linked is a USB DAC!
Did you remove the USB - I2S converter (XMOS) to connect your PI?

any other file shows no sample rate just 'USB' and 'Unlock'.

I don't know if this one has a different firmware.

The driver should be the correct one.

Frank
hondagx35

Postby mckellarsafc » 17 Dec 2016, 11:43

Hello Frank,

Yes, I should have mentioned, I purchased the XMOS version but had the firmware changed to the non USB version which you linked as I was told this would impact on what is displayed. I have the intention of using a 2 to 1 I2S switch so I can use both the asynchronous USB XMOS input and the RPi input.

I wired the RPi to the DAC board in accordance with the wiring diagram provided by Audiophonics, trying both with and without the 5V connected between the RPi and the DAC.
mckellarsafc

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Raspberry Pi