Hard drive going nuts

Raspberry Pi related support

Hard drive going nuts

Postby EddyTheB » 15 Feb 2017, 22:18

Hi, I installed RuneAudio today on a Raspberry PiModel B connected to a Western Digital MyPassport 1Tb harddrive, which has my music collection on it. The hard drive is connected using a powered usb cable (https://thepihut.com/products/western-d ... rive-cable).

It all seems to work, but I've noticed that twice today the harddrive got stuck spinning at maximum speed. Even if I stop the music playing the disc continues to spin at maximum speed. The first time it happened I stopped the music and then completely disconnected from the system but the drive kept turning at full speed, and was still going 10 minutes later when I reboot the system, and then the drive started right back up spinning at full speed when it came back on!. I don't think that the fault is with the drive because it didn't do that before when it was connected to the same pi running raspbian. It can't be good for the drive to be stuck spinning like that with no purpose.

Has anyone any ideas what the problem might be?
EddyTheB

Re: Hard drive going nuts

Postby Stephane » 16 Feb 2017, 19:02

Hi,
It is the system that is scanning your hard disk to build its database of content.
If you have a lot of files it can take some time.
Stephane

Postby hondagx35 » 16 Feb 2017, 19:15

Hi EddyTheB,

please read this.

Frank
hondagx35

Postby EddyTheB » 17 Feb 2017, 20:10

Thanks Stephane, I think you were right because it seems to have calmed down now, I had thought it had already finished scanning my drive.

Also, thanks Frank, I'll check that out if I have problems in future.
EddyTheB

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Raspberry Pi