Google Play Music/BubbleUPnP problem

Raspberry Pi related support

Google Play Music/BubbleUPnP problem

Postby MarmiteSandwich » 03 Feb 2019, 19:41

I have been using Google Play Music (GPM) for a while now, as a UPnP music server, supplying RuneAudio as a UPnP renderer, using BubbleUPnP as the UPnP control point, and as a proxy server for GPM. I find this a very convenient way to manage the now-playing queue, mixing tracks from my own music in Minimserver, with tracks from GPM.

However, I have recently started to have a problem with GPM and long tracks (>10mins). These typically get to about 3 mins and then abort the track. The developer for Bubblesoft is critical of GPM servers, and indeed this isn't a problem if I play the same tracks from Qobuz. The same problem occurs if I stream from GPM to foobar200 on Windows via BubbleUPnP, so it isn't just RuneAudio as a renderer which is causing the problem.

The question is, whether others have experienced this, and have a fix? GPM will play the same tracks via its own player apps, or the web player, and also via BubbleUPnP with Bubble as the renderer in Android. So it must be possible to do this right. Any ideas welcome.

I am still on RuneAudio 0.4, with MPD of 0.19.13, which Bubblesoft says is old. I have tried upgrading to 0.5, which gave me other problems, but didn't fix the GPM long track problem.

How do people play Google Music in RuneAudio?
Marmite
Music>iTunes>Minimserver>BubbleUPnP>RasPi3BRuneaudio0.4>
CambridgeAudioDACMagic>CyrusIIIi>Mission752>MyEars
MarmiteSandwich
 
Posts: 24
Joined: 19 Apr 2016, 22:50
Location: UK

Re: Google Play Music/BubbleUPnP problem

Postby MarmiteSandwich » 04 Feb 2019, 15:34

The Bubblesoft developer recommended this commit:
https://github.com/MusicPlayerDaemon/MPD/commit/1ca1269a59e36fc4c91fa9aca93ac6067d9274bf
I have no idea whether this will help, or even how to go about applying it. Just added it in case it means something to somebody.
Apparently it helps with a similar problem for streaming from Qobuz/Tidal.
Marmite
Music>iTunes>Minimserver>BubbleUPnP>RasPi3BRuneaudio0.4>
CambridgeAudioDACMagic>CyrusIIIi>Mission752>MyEars
MarmiteSandwich
 
Posts: 24
Joined: 19 Apr 2016, 22:50
Location: UK

Re: Google Play Music/BubbleUPnP problem

Postby MarmiteSandwich » 06 Feb 2019, 17:59

For information, the bubble developer says that
Yes, it is likely Google http servers that are a bit picky at the pace the renderer reads data and close the connection unexpectedly if it deviates to what it expected.

For MPD, at least ver 0.21 (2018/10/31) is needed as it is the first version to have the fix:
"- curl: download to buffer instead of throttling transfer"


For me, Rune doesn't really work currently with Google play streaming, and so I will need to use a different hardware/software setup for a renderer for the time being. Maybe one of the new versions in development can get this version of MPD, or we could have a post about how to update to this version.
Marmite.
Music>iTunes>Minimserver>BubbleUPnP>RasPi3BRuneaudio0.4>
CambridgeAudioDACMagic>CyrusIIIi>Mission752>MyEars
MarmiteSandwich
 
Posts: 24
Joined: 19 Apr 2016, 22:50
Location: UK

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal


Return to Raspberry Pi

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests