File storage

Everything about Hi-Fi equipment

File storage

Postby barfkoswil » 18 Oct 2016, 11:46

Hi, i am about to complete my own project using the pi as a dedicated music system. Rather than streaming my music to the pi i am intending to play music from physical storage but have read that usb storage gives poor results. Can anyone advise me please before i make a poor purchase and waste my money?
Gratefully
barfkoswil
barfkoswil

Re: File storage

Postby hondagx35 » 18 Oct 2016, 16:13

Hi barfkoswil,

but have read that usb storage gives poor results.

This may be correct when using a USB DAC.
I have a 250GB SSD connected via USB that works great on my RP2 with Hifiberry DAC (I2S).

Frank
hondagx35

Postby barfkoswil » 18 Oct 2016, 22:35

Thanks again Frank for your help.

If i use the higher power 65w power supply do you think it would be enough to power the, pi, amp and screen? I am assuming you run the SSD from its own power supply?
Thanks in adavance.
Bryan
barfkoswil

Postby Screwdriver » 18 Oct 2016, 23:44

When I first installed Rune I used a Seagate USB powered HD connected to the Pi3 with my USB Dragonfly Black DAC and had zero issues with any file, including 24/192 FLAC's. Bandwidth shouldn't be an issue. And neither was power with my setup.
Screwdriver

Postby surfninja » 19 Oct 2016, 19:13

Hey Barf,
I don't think you will have any problems with network attached storage or an USB connected hard drive. I've done both without any problems.

My usb harddrive is powered. You probably don't want to power the hard drive from your raspberry pi but provide separate power.
rAudio 1, Raspberry Pi 2B
rAudio 1, Raspberry Pi 4B
rAudio 1, Raspberry Pi Zero W
surfninja

Postby barfkoswil » 20 Oct 2016, 00:26

thanks to all for the advice which has been really helpful and i now feel able to proceed. when i finish ill let you know how it worked out. Funnily enough the system i am attempting to emulate is the Brenan JB7 / B2, i have just been on the web site and notice that at the heart of their machines is a good old PI! of course where they vary is that Brenans have a much heftier price tag.
Bryan
barfkoswil

Postby Kakaomonster » 24 Nov 2016, 05:22

Hi together,

at the moment I test it only with USB sticks

8 GB - full and work perfect and fast
16 GB - the same
64 GB - NOT full, only half but the same
2 TB - only 4% in use, but the system is very slow and sometimes RuneAudio is hanging up. I can wait some minutes till it come back or power of, 2 TB stick put off and start again.

I don't know is this a stick problem (usb2) or not, but the stick works on my windows systems and my iMac perfect.

I hope this infos are helpfuly,

Regards, Kakaomonster - Ralf
Kakaomonster

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Hi-Fi systems