Dual booting possible?

Raspberry Pi related support

Dual booting possible?

Postby den_hr » 22 Feb 2015, 15:08

Would it be possible to dual boot RuneAudio and another distro (I'm thinking primarily of something for watching movies, e.g. OpenELEC or some XBMC variant, or something else, only for video/movies)?

From what I read on Raspberry forums, NOOBS seems to offer something like that, and also Berryboot, if I'm not mistaken.

From what I've read, it works so that one distro is the default, and if you want to boot another, you can do a one-time reboot into that other distro and do your thing there... Once rebooted, the system boots again back to "default" distro.

So, I'm thinking about having RuneAudio as default boot, and when you want to watch movies, instead of having another RasPi :), or another SD card, you simply choose "Reboot to XBMC" or something from the main menu ("Turn off" section, and the system reboots to XBMC. You watch a movie, and when you turn RasPi off, the next time it again defaults to booting RuneAudio.... I think this is the best solution for a "multimedia" machine - no fiddling with changing SD cards, etc...
Only downside is that when the machine (RasPi) is turned off, and you want to turn it on to watch a movie, you need to boot into RuneAudio first, and reboot to XBMC from there - buit that's a small price to pay for otherwise rather flexible setup.

Any ideas? is this already doable/possible?

TIA,
Denis
den_hr

Re: Dual booting possible?

Postby den_hr » 22 Feb 2015, 15:18

Hm, after some searching, I see this question has been asked before :)
Well, if there are no solutions yet, I might as well try to arrive at a possible solution myself - AFAIK, the issue is a Berryboot squashfs image.

OK, I'll see if my skills are up to the task :)
Regards,
Denis
den_hr

Postby unameme » 23 Feb 2015, 09:36

That is a nice idea, will try too
If you succeed please share squashfs img or step by step instruction.
unameme

Postby unameme » 23 Feb 2015, 20:34

I tried to create squashfs, with no luck, but I got the idea to have first system on sdcard and the other on USB memory and make a script on each system that would reboot to the other system. Is that possible?
unameme

Postby hisnameisbob » 03 Mar 2015, 05:42

I've tried using Berryboot as well and tried to get rid of the symlinks that were supposedly the problem, but it didn't work. Gonna try NOOBS next
hisnameisbob

Postby Nicosea » 11 Jan 2016, 15:17

Anyone successful on that?

I would like to have Runeadio and Openelec in dual boot but no idea about how to do that...
Nicosea

Postby dante6913 » 14 Jan 2016, 12:26

yes, dual boot is possible. I was able to create that option in noobs, i am now able to boot raspbian, openelec an runeaudio 0.3
dante6913

Postby dante6913 » 14 Jan 2016, 14:23

dante6913 wrote:yes, dual boot is possible. I was able to create that option in noobs, i am now able to boot raspbian, openelec an runeaudio 0.3

For raspberry pi2

http://www.filedropper.com/runeaudiotar

For raspberry pi1
http://www.filedropper.com/runeaudiopi1tar

Just unzip the directory to your noobs os directory before you install it in the sd card
Last edited by dante6913 on 19 Jan 2016, 15:16, edited 1 time in total.
dante6913

Postby Mat » 14 Jan 2016, 18:17

Cool, great info, thx. I never tried noobs since I read posts that runeaudio and noobs somehow does not work together.

Can you just in short describe what did you do? Did it go smooth or is there a lot of hacking?

If it is going to work, there is next challenge for me: switching between OpenElec and Runeaudio without keyboard or TV. It should not be to hard, probably will use LIRC and script from this thread:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 6&p=584477

So remote button to restart RPI into OpenElec and remote button to restart RPI into RuneAudio. A lot better than switching SD cards and replugging power cord.
Mat

Postby dante6913 » 14 Jan 2016, 18:31

When you download the file that i posted, you will get a compressed file with the runeaudio directory that was prepared by me to work with noobs following the instruction on noobs https://github.com/raspberrypi/noobs.
Just prepare a normal noobs install, download noobs from here https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/noobs/ extract the file on a formatted sd card (fat32), in the extracted noobs content, copy the the runeaudio directory that is in my file to the noobs OS directory. Insert in the raspberry and you should be able to intall runeaudio with openelect or other OS that you may want. I heaven did it with ubuntu mate. Tell me if worked for you.

For choosing what os i want is just use an old usb mouse, but if we could have an option to do it in the next reboot in each os it would be great
dante6913

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Next

Return to Raspberry Pi