DSD over HDMI

Raspberry Pi related support

DSD over HDMI

Postby jmp1963 » 15 Jul 2016, 08:54

Hi,

New to runeaudio and would just like to say thanks for all the hard work from the developers :)

I'm running RuneAudio_rpi2_rp3_0.4-beta_20160321_2GB connected via HDMI to a Denon AVRX2200W which should be able to decode native DSD files. Unfortunately I can't get runeaudio to even start playing them.

All other file types play fine and I've enabled DSD in the settings. Have I got hold of 'the wrong end of the stick' in thinking that this is possible and still require a DAC for the Pi?

Cheers,

JMP
jmp1963

Re: DSD over HDMI

Postby rikardo1979 » 15 Jul 2016, 09:12

jmp1963 wrote:Hi,

New to runeaudio and would just like to say thanks for all the hard work from the developers :)

I'm running RuneAudio_rpi2_rp3_0.4-beta_20160321_2GB connected via HDMI to a Denon AVRX2200W which should be able to decode native DSD files. Unfortunately I can't get runeaudio to even start playing them.

All other file types play fine and I've enabled DSD in the settings. Have I got hold of 'the wrong end of the stick' in thinking that this is possible and still require a DAC for the Pi?

Cheers,

JMP

if I am not wrong(I dont play/use DSD myself) there is no way to out DSD over HDMI from any computer. So you would need an DAC over USB
>>>Please always follow rules and read before you post<<<
rikardo1979

Postby ndcoxhead » 06 Jul 2018, 16:14

I am also interested in this - I have bought a Yamaha receiver that can only input DSD streams over HDMI, so what I need is a device to get the file from somewhere (USB drive is fine) and them play it over HDMI, with no DAC or any other shinanigens necessary.
So far I have not found a device, just load of mobile DACs that play DSDs but doesn't output to HDMI.
Then I thought it would be a perfect Raspberry Pi application. But I have no experience with them and no time to develop it myself.
ndcoxhead

Postby eea123 » 06 Jul 2018, 22:49

I'm gonna ask a silly question. If the Raspberry PI's DAC decodes the DSD files, why would you need the Yamaha's HDMI for the playback? Can't you just use an RCA line-level input on the receiver for a stereo files?
eea123

Postby mimizone » 28 Jan 2019, 05:18

Hi all,
I am completely new to Rune Audio.
Was that feature ever added to recent builds?
I am running 0.5 (build: janui-20180903) on a raspberry pi 2.
I would like to output DSD over HDMI, without conversion to PCM.
Now DSD plays fine but it's converted to PCM.

My Sony STR-DN1050 receiver can play up to 5.1 DSD via HDMI.
I use that feature from a Bluray/SACD player for instance.

Any chance it's possible to do?
mimizone

Postby janui » 28 Jan 2019, 15:57

Hi mimizone,
mimizone wrote:...I would like to output DSD over HDMI, without conversion to PCM...Now DSD plays fine but it's converted to PCM...
I believe that the version of Linux used in 0.5b is only capable of processing Native DSD via USB with a DSD capable USB DAC. This Linux kernel (4.14.34-1) has also been patched to fix some DSD related problems. I am almost sure that the current version of Linux is unchanged regarding DSD support (please correct me if anyone has more information).
janui
janui

Postby mimizone » 10 Feb 2019, 05:03

thanks for the details.

Can't wait to see an update of the kernel/driver to get that feature. None of the audio distributions for the raspberry pi (or other computers actually) have that capability so far.
That would be great to play nice with the receivers and leverage what already exists.
I definitely don't want to buy a new receiver with a USB DAC supporting DSD 5.1 :)
Not even sure that exists.
mimizone

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Raspberry Pi