DSD over HDMI

Raspberry Pi related support

DSD over HDMI

Postby jmp1963 » 15 Jul 2016, 08:54

Hi,

New to runeaudio and would just like to say thanks for all the hard work from the developers :)

I'm running RuneAudio_rpi2_rp3_0.4-beta_20160321_2GB connected via HDMI to a Denon AVRX2200W which should be able to decode native DSD files. Unfortunately I can't get runeaudio to even start playing them.

All other file types play fine and I've enabled DSD in the settings. Have I got hold of 'the wrong end of the stick' in thinking that this is possible and still require a DAC for the Pi?

Cheers,

JMP
jmp1963

Re: DSD over HDMI

Postby rikardo1979 » 15 Jul 2016, 09:12

jmp1963 wrote:Hi,

New to runeaudio and would just like to say thanks for all the hard work from the developers :)

I'm running RuneAudio_rpi2_rp3_0.4-beta_20160321_2GB connected via HDMI to a Denon AVRX2200W which should be able to decode native DSD files. Unfortunately I can't get runeaudio to even start playing them.

All other file types play fine and I've enabled DSD in the settings. Have I got hold of 'the wrong end of the stick' in thinking that this is possible and still require a DAC for the Pi?

Cheers,

JMP

if I am not wrong(I dont play/use DSD myself) there is no way to out DSD over HDMI from any computer. So you would need an DAC over USB
>>>Please always follow rules and read before you post<<<
rikardo1979

Postby ndcoxhead » 06 Jul 2018, 16:14

I am also interested in this - I have bought a Yamaha receiver that can only input DSD streams over HDMI, so what I need is a device to get the file from somewhere (USB drive is fine) and them play it over HDMI, with no DAC or any other shinanigens necessary.
So far I have not found a device, just load of mobile DACs that play DSDs but doesn't output to HDMI.
Then I thought it would be a perfect Raspberry Pi application. But I have no experience with them and no time to develop it myself.
ndcoxhead

Postby eea123 » 06 Jul 2018, 22:49

I'm gonna ask a silly question. If the Raspberry PI's DAC decodes the DSD files, why would you need the Yamaha's HDMI for the playback? Can't you just use an RCA line-level input on the receiver for a stereo files?
eea123

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Raspberry Pi