Don't want to be rude, but will there ever be a new version?

Raspberry Pi related support

Don't want to be rude, but will there ever be a new version?

Postby thisisjay » 16 Jan 2018, 17:29

Really liked Rune better than Volumio up until about a year ago, but during that time Volumio has surpassed Rune in every way,. Stability, reliability, predictability, features, and most importantly, sound quality.

I still check back every now and then to see if anything new is out and I'm still greeted by the early 2016 release that has many stability and sound quality issues. I have tried the beta version and found it to be more stable, but still not great.

Would even consider donating to this project if I knew that there was some hope of a new release. Something that would put Rune back on top and prove that quality still beats quantity when it comes to updates.
thisisjay

Re: Don't want to be rude, but will there ever be a new vers

Postby Lurk » 16 Jan 2018, 21:34

It is not looking good is it .
I myself switched over to Moode which has very active community and responsive developer , however their decision to force users to build their own install image pretty much excludes non techie users, so I guess I'm back at Volumio

Still I suppose I have learned some stuff and will keep checking back in the hope of some progress

Lx
Lurk

Postby rdoorn » 19 Jan 2018, 21:53

I think that you are right. No more development.... snif.
you can try addons-menu-install-addons-the-easy-way-t5370-80.html
than you have some enhancements.
rdoorn

Postby Wackid » 21 Jan 2018, 10:57

rdoorn wrote:I think that you are right. No more development.... snif.
you can try addons-menu-install-addons-the-easy-way-t5370-80.html
than you have some enhancements.
Would be nice if they would inform us on this.
I have switched from pi to Tinker board.

I will give up hope that they will port this to Rune.
Wackid

Postby ACX » 21 Jan 2018, 12:33

(we already wrote many times around the forum on this topic, so please search before posting next time)

Since our last public release we've been far from inactive, working hard on the new 2.0 version. All the coding has been done in private repositories to avoid further pressure, everything will be open and public once the first alpha is released. Our time is limited lately (life happens, you know...), so I'm sorry but I can't give you an ETA.

Version 2.0 is based on a brand new code base, a rewrite of the old system. It includes a renewed UI, and a lot of new features.
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

Postby Wackid » 21 Jan 2018, 23:12

ACX wrote:(we already wrote many times around the forum on this topic, so please search before posting next time)

Since our last public release we've been far from inactive, working hard on the new 2.0 version. All the coding has been done in private repositories to avoid further pressure, everything will be open and public once the first alpha is released. Our time is limited lately (life happens, you know...), so I'm sorry but I can't give you an ETA.

Version 2.0 is based on a brand new code base, a rewrite of the old system. It includes a renewed UI, and a lot of new features.
Okay apologies from my site to jump to soon in conclusions....

Is the Tinkerboard also on the Roadmap?
Wackid

Postby ACX » 22 Jan 2018, 01:32

The Tinkerboard is indeed an interesting platform, so we'll try to support it as well in the future.
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

Postby Wackid » 22 Jan 2018, 19:46

That's great to hear... Until then i have to stick with Volumio. Which also ticks the boxes.
But the more choice the better.

Thanks...
Wackid

Postby LeighP » 18 Feb 2018, 14:12

As with all volunteer-led OS/software, we have to wait for the next incarnation, whether that takes weeks, months or even years.

I tried Volumio but it seemed cumbersome, the OS messy especially when trying to add applications, etc.

I'm sticking with Rune Audio - it's happily hosting my 500Gb Samsung Passport HDD, displaying what's playing on a HD44780 type display after some work and command line hacking which was fun to do and is now encased in a housing and outputs to my Denon Mini System via a HifiBerry DAC+ and sounds superb!

Volumio may look pretty, but it's not making the grade for me, especially after reading about the project.

Leigh.....
https://github.com/rern/rAudio - the new place for rAudio.
LeighP

Postby rastus » 20 Feb 2018, 12:49

Years is a bit too long to wait for an update/upgrade.

EDIT: The network security issues that have been raised at least need to be addressed, and soon, because without them being addressed this software becomes useless, and dangerous for our home networks. So instead of V2.0, how about at least a patch?
rastus

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Raspberry Pi