Delay / time lag when streaming video sound.

Raspberry Pi related support

Delay / time lag when streaming video sound.

Postby chrichri » 18 Jan 2019, 11:04

Hello,

I am using Ubuntu 18.04 with pulseaudio-dlna to stream video sound to an RPi 3B+ with RuneAudio and a Hifiberry DAC+ sound board.

Works fine so far, except a 1-2s sound delay.

I already found a similar post http://www.runeaudio.com/forum/streaming-the-pc-sound-youtube-t3941.html but this was related to Win10.

I have a gigabit network at home, so network speed should not be an issue. The time delay appears both on LAN and WLAN. My guess is this is a buffering issue when RuneAudio is used as a DLNA renderer.

Any ideas how to approach this issue?

Thanks in advance and best regards
Chris.
chrichri

Re: Delay / time lag when streaming video sound.

Postby eea123 » 18 Jan 2019, 11:37

This is a new playback arrangement to me, so maybe others will help. A quick Google search pulled up this discussion, https://askubuntu.com/questions/187086/ ... ant-device It sounds like the lag may be inherent on most devices, PI or otherwise.

Would it be acceptable audio quality-wise or possible hardware-wise to line level the monitor / TV's audio back to the stereo for playback? I'm using a pair of Niles CAT5 Video & Stereo Audio Transformers to feed the signal back to the stereo in my Den from my TV in the Living Room. I understand my setup is a 2-channel analogue solution only, but Niles also has similar HDMI and Coaxial digital solutions.
eea123

Postby chrichri » 18 Jan 2019, 13:23

Hello,

thanks for linking the post on askubuntu.com, which confirms my thoughts:

The delay comes from filling the HTTP buffer. It keeps the stream playing in case your connection has issues (weak wifi, etc.). If you want to reduce the delay, use a codec which needs much bandwidth (wav) to fill that buffer faster. ... But you won't get rid of it completely. Main purpose is music and audio books. Everything what does not need to be in sync.

Thanks for the tip of using CAT5 Stereo Audio Transformers. I did not think about using the network to transmit audio signals. This would improve my hardware setup in the sense that I do not need to lay a cable across the room every time I watch a movie. But would bypass RuneAudio of course....

Best regards
Chris
chrichri

Postby eea123 » 19 Jan 2019, 11:20

Chris,

Just for clarity, the Niles Audio balums to CAT5 use a dedicated point to point cable run and are not switched thru a hub. Here's a link to the manual, https://www.cleverhome.com.au/manuals/Niles-C5-A2-Cat5-Stereo-Audio-Balun-Installation.pdf. Page 3 shows their other passive balum offerings. They also have a powered series for longer runs, split feeds, ect.

Thanks,
Ed
eea123

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Raspberry Pi