DACs in Blind Test

Everything about Hi-Fi equipment

DACs in Blind Test

Postby skrodahl » 24 Sep 2014, 00:44

Tom's Hardware is blind testing DACs, and the results are not exactly encouraging for audiophiles.

I can't say I've been able to distinguish between DACs in the moderate to high price range, and that the amplifier and speakers have a lot more impact on the sound.

Still, would you say they are missing something? Mixers in the operating system? I have, to my great astonishment, definitely heard sound quality differences just by changing the ethernet adapter settings in RuneAudio. Although I'm not always sure if the changes are improvements or not, they are clearly audible.

I've repeatedly said that I don't for a moment believe that good sound has to cost a fortune, but these results are puzzling. It's on a different level from gold plated optical cables, boutique capacitors (look at the £ 1,750.00 CAP-7860 at the very end) and isolator bases (with Enigma bullets, no less) to put under your equipment. And not to forget, Brilliant Pebbles and Cable Elevators for huge improvements in detail, focus and dynamics.
-skrodahl

Muffsy Phono Preamp PP-3 || Audiobah TPA3116 || ESP P88 || ProJect Debut Carbon Espirit DC || RuneAudio / RaspBerry Pi / HifiBerry DAC || Dynaco A25
skrodahl

Re: DACs in Blind Test

Postby ACX » 24 Sep 2014, 01:01

ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

Postby gswg » 26 Sep 2014, 13:42

I can get from A to B using various modes of transport. Each has it's advantages and disadvantages, each has it's own set of flaws and it's own style and cost.

I like traveling by car - but i've an efficient aluminium vehicle. Others use clapped out wrecks and some drive expensive italian art on wheels.

Some people get wet when travelling, others stay dry.

Swings and roundabouts.

Who wants to use a power hungry and noisy PC for audio playback when they could have a Pi, an i2s DAC and RuneAudio instead :-)

Viva la rivoluzione

Gordon@IQaudio.com
gswg

Postby Midnight » 29 Sep 2014, 08:19

gswg wrote:I like traveling by car - but i've an efficient aluminium vehicle. Others use clapped out wrecks and some drive expensive italian art on wheels.

Audi A2? :mrgreen:

gswg wrote:Who wants to use a power hungry and noisy PC for audio playback when they could have a Pi, an i2s DAC and RuneAudio instead :-)

Standard PCs are not power hungry anymore and you even can get something like an Intel NUC, which consumes 4 W only ;)
Midnight

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Hi-Fi systems