DAC Choice

Raspberry Pi related support

DAC Choice

Postby smccloud » 29 May 2019, 18:16

I'm planning on throwing a Pi3 running rune audio in my garage. However, I'd like to put an external DAC on it. Looking at Amazon there are a lot of choices and I'm not sure which one to pick. All I need as stereo RCA outputs to connect to my component system. Any suggestions are welcome.
smccloud
 
Posts: 3
Joined: 29 May 2019, 18:14

Re: DAC Choice

Postby MikeC » 29 May 2019, 18:50

I have 5 or so inexpensive DACS (<$120 US).
Unfortunately my favorite does not fit your requirements. It is the HiFiBerry DAC+ – Pro (about $50 US). This one attaches directly to the Pi.
My 2nd favorite is a USB DAC, the Schiit Modi 3 DAC (about $120 US, with shipping) https://www.schiit.com/products/modi-1. I've owned 3 of Shiit's DACs and they are fine for the money involved. If you do need to reuse this unit for another app later on, it has digital inputs available.
Even though I like the HifiBerry much better, I hesitate to endorse it. I have mine on a Pi2B with an ethernet connection and there is no Wifi on the Pi2B. Some have noted that there were some complaints about interference with WiFi on the Hifiberry.

Mike C
MikeC
 
Posts: 18
Joined: 30 Nov 2017, 22:39
Location: Everet, MA

Re: DAC Choice

Postby smccloud » 29 May 2019, 18:59

MikeC wrote:I have 5 or so inexpensive DACS (<$120 US).
Unfortunately my favorite does not fit your requirements. It is the HiFiBerry DAC+ – Pro (about $50 US). This one attaches directly to the Pi.
My 2nd favorite is a USB DAC, the Schiit Modi 3 DAC (about $120 US, with shipping) https://www.schiit.com/products/modi-1. I've owned 3 of Shiit's DACs and they are fine for the money involved. If you do need to reuse this unit for another app later on, it has digital inputs available.
Even though I like the HifiBerry much better, I hesitate to endorse it. I have mine on a Pi2B with an ethernet connection and there is no Wifi on the Pi2B. Some have noted that there were some complaints about interference with WiFi on the Hifiberry.

Mike C

Actually, the HiFiBerry DAC+ - Pro would work great for me. Has the RCA jacks for a connection to my component receiver. I do plan on running a network cable to the garage because I prefer Wired to WiFi (and I'll be using it for FLAC files).

I was also looking at Audio DAC HAT Sound Card (AUDIO+) for Raspberry Pi Zero/PI3/PI3B/PI3B+/PI2/Better quality than USB https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MDW602K/re ... 7Cb9CCC3JJ due to it's price but I'm not sure it's supported.
smccloud
 
Posts: 3
Joined: 29 May 2019, 18:14

Re: DAC Choice

Postby janui » 30 May 2019, 12:27

Hi smccloud,
smccloud wrote:I was also looking at Audio DAC HAT Sound Card (AUDIO+) for Raspberry Pi Zero/PI3/PI3B/PI3B+/PI2/Better quality than USB https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MDW602K/re ... 7Cb9CCC3JJ due to it's price but I'm not sure it's supported.
The 'Generic PCM510x' or 'RPi DAC' soundcard setting will probably work fine with the PiZeroAudio DAC.
But if you want to go low-cost, this pcm5102 based DAC will probably outperform the PiZeroAudio DAC (UDA1334ATS dac chip): https://www.ebay.com/itm/PCM5102-DAC-De ... SwEvZcAH2p
You will need some connector leads like this to connect it: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dupont-Cable-f ... KegIy6SVjw (female-female type, 10cm is probably long enough).
Otherwise the ‘HiFiBerry DAC+ 3.5mm’ is a good choice since it fits into a standard Pi case, you only need to drill a hole for the 3.5mm socket.
janui
User avatar
janui
 
Posts: 611
Joined: 20 Dec 2014, 12:55
Location: Ollanda

Re: DAC Choice

Postby smccloud » 30 May 2019, 12:57

janui wrote:Hi smccloud,
smccloud wrote:I was also looking at Audio DAC HAT Sound Card (AUDIO+) for Raspberry Pi Zero/PI3/PI3B/PI3B+/PI2/Better quality than USB https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MDW602K/re ... 7Cb9CCC3JJ due to it's price but I'm not sure it's supported.
The 'Generic PCM510x' or 'RPi DAC' soundcard setting will probably work fine with the PiZeroAudio DAC.
But if you want to go low-cost, this pcm5102 based DAC will probably outperform the PiZeroAudio DAC (UDA1334ATS dac chip): https://www.ebay.com/itm/PCM5102-DAC-De ... SwEvZcAH2p
You will need some connector leads like this to connect it: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dupont-Cable-f ... KegIy6SVjw (female-female type, 10cm is probably long enough).
Otherwise the ‘HiFiBerry DAC+ 3.5mm’ is a good choice since it fits into a standard Pi case, you only need to drill a hole for the 3.5mm socket.
janui


https://www.ebay.com/itm/ASSEMBLED-PCM5 ... SwHodc2Upq Would be ok then too right? I would prefer RCA jacks to a 3.5mm mini-jack.
smccloud
 
Posts: 3
Joined: 29 May 2019, 18:14

Re: DAC Choice

Postby janui » 31 May 2019, 10:51

Hi smccloud,
smccloud wrote:https://www.ebay.com/itm/ASSEMBLED-PCM5 ... SwHodc2Upq Would be ok then too right? I would prefer RCA jacks to a 3.5mm mini-jack.
Yes this works fine as well, but more difficult to get it into a case. I use one of these for a Pi Zero player, see the photos:
IMG_0020.gif
IMG_0020.gif (151.98 KiB) Viewed 127 times
IMG_0214.gif
IMG_0214.gif (155.96 KiB) Viewed 127 times
IMG_0275.gif
IMG_0275.gif (183.12 KiB) Viewed 127 times
janui
User avatar
janui
 
Posts: 611
Joined: 20 Dec 2014, 12:55
Location: Ollanda

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal


Return to Raspberry Pi

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest